The McDermott Era...Will the first signature win(s) come the next 3 weeks?

Wizard

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Identifying a signature win.

oWUuoMf.gif

Exactly

4 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

”Signature Ws” are, at the highest level, did you beat the SB Champ of that year- something I highly doubt the Bills have done in a generation. But, something BOTH the Raiders and Cardinals May have accomplished already- in 2020!

Next? Did the Bills beat ANY Championship finalist of the same year? NO... again!

But see, here is where that moving goalpost perception comes in.

The Titans played in the AFC championship game last year.  We beat them last year.  But that's not a signature win for "reasons"

MY bar is the next in line. Did you beat any Playoff teams of the same year?

See above.  The bar seems to move, that's my problem with it.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly

But see, here is where that moving goalpost perception comes in.

The Titans played in the AFC championship game last year.  We beat them last year.  But that's not a signature win for "reasons"

See above.  The bar seems to move, that's my problem with it.

Not really. The Bills win over the Titans counts in my scheme.

But, signature? NO... lesser, because they were led by an inferior QB in October... not the guy who has continued strongly and in 2020.

17 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

No. This is an excellent thread. And various people have defined their line in the sand for that purpose. Some, like me, set the bar high, demanding excellence. Others, like to go low... simply accepting low mediocrity bar after a generation of horrific play- like beating a winning team or even...”we’re not the JESTS or previously... the Clowns!”

NOOOOO! You never use the worst teams in the league in a given year, as a point of comparison, that you are better! NEVER... EVER!

Nor, is it,when you beat Scrooge McDuck,the 3rd. String QB of the Steelers. Beat KC with Paddy Mahomes, Beat Ben. Beat Brady! 🙄

”Signature Ws” are, at the highest level, did you beat the SB Champ of that year- something I highly doubt the Bills have done in a generation. But, something BOTH the Raiders and Cardinals May have accomplished already- in 2020!

Next? Did the Bills beat ANY Championship finalist of the same year? NO... again!

MY bar is the next in line. Did you beat any Playoff teams of the same year? PLUS, have you done this at an approx. 50% winning rate? The answer to that question, both pre and post McD is NO! And worse under McDermott!

They will certainly have opportunities against Seattle, Arizona, the 9ers and Pitt coming up. 

no.  the bolded doesn't happen.  it a few users that use this comment to consistently complain.  we get it...you just demand excellence!

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Cake Walk 

mega cakewalk.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Ummm, EXCUSE me my friend, HUDS?!  As THE person who invented "glass half full"(*), I resent the assumption that me, and others of my ilk...ilklings if I may be so bold, would ever skip down the primrose path only to fall off the cliff that is indulgent enthusiasm just to label a game a "signature win".  

By the way, and unfortunately, recent times have caused me to remoniker myself "glass 3/8ths filled" guy, but that is another story. 

I believe it was either the Supreme Court of the United States or Fonzi on the Pinky Tuskadero episode of Happy Days that said, "I don't know what a signature win is, but I know it when I see it."

With those bold and graceful words I am confident in stating that I am still looking for a signature win, albeit prideful as a Bills fan rumeraging amongst the very good wins they have had.  

...but...beat Seattle, and regardless of anything else if they do it while Wilson is at the helm...well, I'll call that a signature win right now.

(* I absolutely didn't invent glass half full, but for the  purposes of this text it makes me look important...like people should be reading what I am writing.  Not true at all, though.  I am mostly certainly a JAF (Just Another Fan).  Hopefully, no one will read this footnote.)

Just to clarify Donuts, I lump myself in with the glass half full as well as 3/8ths filled groups—I firmly believe Pittsburgh was a signature win last year, for the reasons stated in my original post. For those harping on the Duck, a good team takes what’s given and drives the point home, which the Bills did emphatically. Did anyone else pick him off 4 x in one game? Just asking, haven’t bothered to look that up myself. ;)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Just to clarify Donuts, I lump myself in with the glass half full as well as 3/8ths filled groups—I firmly believe Pittsburgh was a signature win last year, for the reasons stated in my original post. For those harping on the Duck, a good team takes what’s given and drives the point home, which the Bills did emphatically. Did anyone else pick him off 4 x in one game? Just asking, haven’t bothered to look that up myself. ;)

@machine gun kelly

You are duly admitted, Sir.  MGK will show the hand shake.

...you do still need to carry a live chicken around for a week, but that is the fun part of the initiation.  

:D:thumbsup:

EDIT:

Please know that it was really just to start a bit.

However, when I was done I actually really liked the "I don't know what I signature win is..." comment.

I am old enough to know that the Bills had some good wins in 1980...but man, when they beat the Steelers...when they wrecked the Steelers who I believe were 7-4 at the time (we were 8-3) that was something.  You KNEW it was something.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@machine gun kelly

...you do still need to carry a live chicken around for a week, but that is the fun part of the initiation.  

EDIT:

However, when I was done I actually really liked the "I don't know what I signature win comment is..."

I am old enough to know that the Bills had some good wins in 1980...but man, when they beat the Steelers...when they wrecked the Steelers who I believe were 7-4 at the time (we were 8-3) that was something.  You KNEW it was something.  

X1000 ^^^

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Duck was a disaster......  The Bills basically turtled that game and refused to do anything on offense.  They had 269 yards in offense.  They were too scared to do anything.  

Look at the Play by Play and you'll see how sad the Bills were on Offense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401128065

The play at the end of the half and after they took the lead in the 4th they got the ball twice and ran 6 plays (all runs), thus handing the ball back to Pitt.  

BTW Duck is now on the Steelers practise squad and their 4th QB....  Wow what a statement win that was.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@machine gun kelly

EDIT:

However, when I was done I actually really liked the "I don't know what I signature win is..." comment.

Old fart and for the record, it’s using you’re middle finger backwards while the other one covers it on both sides, not that came from a fraternity y I know and am sworn to secrecy.  No huddle, donuts and 72, shh.  You know the shake you must die.

Have fun guys.  This became fun after I went to work.  God bless, and how about we just agree, kick the ver licking crap (I think that’s ok with Hap and Chandler) out of the cheats.  Then as I said to you Hap, how about a repeat in some weeks.  6-0 sounds good in the division.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

No. This is an excellent thread. And various people have defined their line in the sand for that purpose. Some, like me, set the bar high, demanding excellence. Others, like to go low... simply accepting low mediocrity bar after a generation of horrific play- like beating a winning team or even...”we’re not the JESTS or previously... the Clowns!”

NOOOOO! You never use the worst teams in the league in a given year, as a point of comparison, that you are better! NEVER... EVER!

Nor, is it,when you beat Scrooge McDuck,the 3rd. String QB of the Steelers. Beat KC with Paddy Mahomes, Beat Ben. Beat Brady! 🙄

MY bar is the next in line. Did you beat any Playoff teams of the same year? PLUS, have you done this at an approx. 50% winning rate? The answer to that question, both pre and post McD is NO! And worse under McDermott!

They will certainly have opportunities against Seattle, Arizona, the 9ers and Pitt coming up. 

Technically the Bills beat the 14-2 Superbowl winning Patriots* in 2016.

Jacoby Brisket was the starter with Tom Brady suspended....

We also beat the 12-4 Superbowl winning Patriots* in 2014.

In week 17 when they were resting starters....

I believe someone pointed this out, but we beat the Titans last year and they made the championship game. Although, that was a game that Marcus Mariota started and they missed 4 FGs....

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Old fart and for the record, it’s using you’re middle finger backwards while the other one covers it on both sides, not that came from a fraternity y I know and am sworn to secrecy.  No huddle, donuts and 72, shh.  You know the shake you must die.

Have fun guys.  This became fun after I went to work.  God bless, and how about we just agree, kick the ver licking crap (I think that’s ok with Hap and Chandler) out of the cheats.  Then as I said to you Hap, how about a repeat in some weeks.  6-0 sounds good in the division.

Machine G. Kelly, please come over when you have the chance and fix my VCR as it is continually blinking "12:00".

....It's for TAPES!   You'd take the cassette...put in...it would grab it and then you would hit "play" and you could watch movies that you rented from a video store, like E.T. and Evil Dead 2.

...a video store was a brick and mortar structure that...oh forget it.  

:thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I believe someone pointed this out, but we beat the Titans last year and they made the championship game. Although, that was a game that Marcus Mariota started and they missed 4 FGs....

Missing 4FGs? Hey, that’s on them! But never seen again Mariota + Jacoby WHO + the Boston College Starters? 

Interesting. Count in my overall Stats, but clearly zippo a defining moment!

BEAT the Hawks this year with Russell or the Squeelers with Big Ben? Then, a gigantic, moving forward check mark gets put up!

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

A signature win isn't just against a good opponent.  It's a win that signifies that you've arrived, that you are one of the elite.  It's a win over a team that already is there at the top.   It's a win that says you've joined the club.  

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

A signature win isn't just against a good opponent.  It's a win that signifies that you've arrived, that you are one of the elite.  It's a win over a team that already is there at the top.   It's a win that says you've joined the club.  

Of course, it is!

Not the gold of fools, the Silver of a performance against a Lombardi Winner! So many here, settle for crumbs after the generational Tire Fire, akin to an NFL Stockholm Syndrome Kidnapping. ( See Patriots Bills).

Have some respect! Desire excellence.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Missing 4FGs? Hey, that’s on them! But never seen again Mariota + Jacoby WHO + the Boston College Starters? 

Interesting. Count in my overall Stats, but clearly zippo a defining moment!

BEAT the Hawks this year with Russell or the Squeelers with Big Ben? Then, a gigantic, moving forward check mark gets put up!

That's the funny thing when we're talking "signature" wins. Obviously none of those really mean the Bills "arrived" even though they might meet your definition. 

Fun factoid: The last 2 times the Bills beat the Patriots, the Patriots went on to win the SB  that year (2016 and 2014). 

16 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Of course, it is!

Not the gold of fools, the Silver of a performance against a Lombardi Winner! So many here, settle for crumbs after the generational Tire Fire, akin to an NFL Stockholm Syndrome Kidnapping. ( See Patriots Bills).

Have some respect! Desire excellence.

actually, you have the bar set low.  you desire regular season token super bowls.  some of us demand playoffs wins to know we've arrived?  wallow in you averageness.  some of us want, no...demand excellence!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

actually, you have the bar set low.  you desire regular season token super bowls.  some of us demand playoffs wins to know we've arrived?  wallow in you averageness.  some of us want, no...demand excellence!

The assumption is obviously- if you can beat Playoff Teams at a 50% rate, you can surely win, at least one Playoff game yourselves. If you can only do that between 10-20%, you’re obviously far, far, far from Prime Time and Playoff Ws! And, it is highly unlikely there has been a signature W, against a star studded, healthy opponent.

Like the Bills have been this entire generation, including under McClapper!