The McDermott Era...Will the first signature win(s) come the next 3 weeks?

Wizard

Just now, teef said:

it's nice, but most don't need that to find a win satisfying.  bills just need to win on sunday and move on from there.

I like to be entertained too....  I've stated it before, the Bills are my steam since 1972....  Watching them the last three years (2017-19) they have not been a fun team to watch (particularly on Offense).

How people continually defend the 30th, 29th & 24th ranked NFL Offense, just amazes me.

Add to that one of the easiest 2019 schedules too.

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Last year's Cowboys win wasn't really a signature win although it did give us some national exposure. Beat NE twice and either Seattle or Arizona and that would be a signature sequence. 

That Seattle game actually scares the hell out of me. I feel like that's gonna be reminiscent of that Bears game in 2018 that Peterman started where we got manhandled 

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I like to be entertained too....  I've stated it before, the Bills are my steam since 1972....  Watching them the last three years (2017-19) they have not been a fun team to watch (particularly on Offense).

How people continually defend the 30th, 29th & 24th ranked NFL Offense, just amazes me.

Add to that one of the easiest 2019 schedules too.

no one is defending anything.  again, most people here are entertained by wins, and not how they come about. if you want to quantify wins, go ahead.  most don't need to.

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

For some people it's simply, ...because, Bills.

or there's no reason to micro analyze every win to make is seem less than.  a win is a win.  if the bills win the east and go back to the playoffs, that will be successful.  the playoffs then are an entirely new season.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

A road victory against a frequent playoff team”

That. But, I would settle for a Home W, as well. 

McClapper’s record against Playoff Teams of the same year is actually WORSE than all the clueless stumblebums, we have witnessed as so called HCs this Millenium.

Pre McD? 19-78 (24%)

The Clapper

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 20%

He really hasn’t had a “signature win.”

3-17 is 15%. (3/20)

For me it needs to be beating a true playoff caliber team in reasonable health.  For example beating KC without Mahomes wouldn’t count.  Then we need to win a playoff game.  That’s truly turning the corner IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And every win has been a shootout....  Allowing 28.67 points/game.....  Best win vs. 3-3 Dolphins...

Other wins vs. NE, Atl, Minn & Dallas.....  I guess their best win is vs. NE?😜  

Hmmmm...the Titans have beaten Jax, Minn, Denver, Houston and the Bills.  They haven't played anyone either....I guess they're not good?

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

If Pittsburgh wins that game - even with Duck Hodges - do they go to the playoffs?  Yes that win was against a non-playoff team because we won it.  

It is not like the Bills were 20 point favorites - they were slight dogs on the road for a playoff birth.

The Steelers weren’t “knocked out of the playoffs with that loss”.  That win was a was against a non playoff team because the Steelers would go on to lose the next two games with their playoff hopes alive, to Adam Gase’s Jets and Ravens. The Bills game didn’t make them a non playoff team.  

I love McDermott, but he still lacks a defining win imo.  Beating a middling team with a terrible QB isn’t that great of an accomplishment, but see it as you like.  

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Aww so the Titans win on the road against the future AFC championship team does count, LA Rams don’t get to count.  

If you are not happy - go root for Seattle or Pittsburgh and get out of here, but no you need to troll - so have fun.  As I said even if we win those games you will find a way to belittle the victories- so it does not matter.  

Win games - make the playoffs and keep getting better.

So it’s not only the Steelers game?  The titans and the rams too?  3 defining wins.  

the titans we beat wasn’t the same team.  Tannehill changed the team dramatically.  Mariota would not have led that team to the Afccg.  Hence, it’s NOT the same team.  Think w/e you like.

I think the Rams win was the best team that we’ve beaten. 

Edited by NewEra

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The Steelers weren’t “knocked out of the playoffs with that loss”.  That win was a was against a non playoff team because the Steelers would go on to lose the next two games with their playoff hopes alive, to Adam Gase’s Jets and Ravens. The Bills game didn’t make them a non playoff team.  

I love McDermott, but he still lacks a defining win imo.  Beating a middling team with a terrible QB isn’t that great of an accomplishment, but see it as you like.  

So it’s not only the Steelers game?  The titans and the rams too?  3 defining wins.  

the titans we beat wasn’t the same team.  Tannehill changed the team dramatically.  Mariota would not have led that team to the Afccg.  Hence, it’s NOT the same team.  Think w/e you like.

I think the Rams win was the best team that we’ve beaten. 

In McDermott's first year didn't the Bills have a win at KC which was needed to get a playoff spot. We did need a Dalton to Boyd miracle at Baltimore to get in but winning at Arrowhead is definitely a signature win.

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

In McDermott's first year didn't the Bills have a win at KC which was needed to get a playoff spot. We did need a Dalton to Boyd miracle at Baltimore to get in but winning at Arrowhead is definitely a signature win.

If you say so.  I don’t even remember the win tbh. 

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

I just looked it up. The Bills did win at KC that year 16-10.

Cool. You had to look it up.  Great defining win.  

I remember the game because Zay Jones beat Marcus Peters for our only TD.  

I never had the bills as contenders. I had them as a competitive playoff team.

So I think they are still on track with that. 

Until we get more upgrades on the offensive line we wont contend with the Titans/Steelers/Chiefs/Ravens.

A win is a win, "signature" or not. I'll happily take a 10-6 year and a chance in the playoffs over a 8-8 year with "signature" wins. 

That being said, for arguments sake, I would say Pittsburgh on SNF last year constitutes a signature win. Pitt was fighting for a playoff spot and had a top defense. We also went to their field, a notoriously tough place to play, won and clinched a playoff berth. 

2 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I never had the bills as contenders. I had them as a competitive playoff team.

So I think they are still on track with that. 

Until we get more upgrades on the offensive line we wont contend with the Titans/Steelers/Chiefs/Ravens.

So what exactly are we talking about, just a guard? Dawkins and Morse are on long-term deals, Williams is ostensibly playing at an All-Pro level, and everyone seems to think Feliciano is a stud for some reason.

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

So what exactly are we talking about, just a guard? Dawkins and Morse are on long-term deals, Williams is ostensibly playing at an All-Pro level, and everyone seems to think Feliciano is a stud for some reason.

That aint what im seeing when I compare our offensive line to the likes of the contenders in the AFC.

Who cares? Make the playoffs, win the division and anything can happen. It is all about peaking at the right time not signature wins in October or November.  Nobody cares about those in January.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Who cares? Make the playoffs, win the division and anything can happen. It is all about peaking at the right time not signature wins in October or November.  Nobody cares about those in January.

this is really it.  the playoffs are a new season.  just position yourself the best you can going into the post season, and then worry about the next wins.