The McDermott Era...Will the first signature win(s) come the next 3 weeks?

Wizard

The Bills have not had a signature win in my opinion in the McClappy era. Some may argue the Cowboys win last year or even Andy Dalton's gift in breaking the playoff drought. We have had some good wins, but I started thinking...

What do board members believe constitutes a signature win?  Is it a dominant performance in all 3 phases of the game? A road victory against a frequent playoff team? Putting a blemish on a team with their first loss? A playoff win? A gutty come-from-behind victory? Beating the less formidable Patriots next week?

I believe the Cardinals and Steelers got signature wins this week. 

The Bills so far have played as expected. They were manhandled by clearly better teams, won some cupcakes, and eeked out wins against teams comparable in skill this year. 

Will a Bills win against NE be signature level?  Or, do they need to put together 3 wins in a row? (Jets, Pats, and Hawks, etc.)

What pelt or pelts do they need on their wall to move from fairly good to great this year?

Let's discuss.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like (+1) 1

A road victory against a frequent playoff team”

That. But, I would settle for a Home W, as well. 

McClapper’s record against Playoff Teams of the same year is actually WORSE than all the clueless stumblebums, we have witnessed as so called HCs this Millenium.

Pre McD? 19-78 (24%)

The Clapper

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 20%

He really hasn’t had a “signature win.”

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

McClappy has never won a big game.

0 signature wins.

Most overrated coach in league. 

Hope he makes me eat my words.

I think making the playoffs in 2 of his first 3 seasons already does that.  This will be season 3 of 4 making the playoffs and the team is still growing.

1 minute ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

? A road victory against a frequent playoff team”

That. But, I would settle for a Home W, as well. 

McClapper’s record against Playoff Teams of the same year is actually WORSE than all the clueless stumblebums, we have witnessed as so called HCs this Millenium.

Pre McD? 19-78 (24%)

The Clapper

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 20%

He really hasn’t had a “signature win.”

Except the others lose to teams like the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

For the first time ever in the 21st century against the Cheats, the Bills have the advantage at the most important position, QB.  Unfortunately, we are outmanned at HC.  Belicheat knows all the tricks (and cheats), and we won't have a crowd to make any noise.  If we have any chance to win the AFCE, next week is WWII (my favorite Marv Levy quote).  McD needs to start there.  Slay the Cheating Dragon to get to 6-2.  We'll look for the next statement win after that.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

I think making the playoffs in 2 of his first 3 seasons already does that.  This will be season 3 of 4 making the playoffs and the team is still growing.

Interesting sidebar, but only because this team has been so abysmal for a generation. Making the Playoffs as a WC should not be a significant yearly goal- winning your division with a 1/2 Seed should. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Interesting sidebar, but only because this team has been so abysmal for a generation. Making the Playoffs as a WC should not be a significant yearly goal- winning your division with a 1/2 Seed should. 

Yes because so many teams do that every year.  The goal is likely the division this year and we will win it.  There is no WC for us this year.  We have a commanding lead and Miami got started too late and they are our only in division threat.  We are 3-0 in division while they are 1-2.

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

For the first time ever in the 21st century against the Cheats, the Bills have the advantage at the most important position, QB.  Unfortunately, we are outmanned at HC.  Belicheat knows all the tricks (and cheats), and we won't have a crowd to make any noise.  If we have any chance to win the AFCE, next week is WWII (my favorite Marv Levy quote).  McD needs to start there.  Slay the Cheating Dragon to get to 6-2.  We'll look for the next statement win after that.

McD needs to start with defensive schemes.  If this team wants to win a make a post season run, the defense has to find its identity. Right now, it’s  identity is that of pathetic bums. If McD van scheme out D back to being average, I feel we can make a run.

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I thought our win in Pittsburgh last year was a signature win. 

Can a team have a signature win vs Duck Hodges?

I think it was our best win last year, but a signature win can’t be vs a non playoff team unless it’s for the division title, even worse is Duck Hodges was the QB

• Like (+1) 2

Judging by Cam Newton and the pats running game I think we're looking at the same game as this week. If McClappenstien gets McWins and clapperoos to the McPlayoffs I'm McHappy. Even if its the Tyler Bass God Make It Stop Game. 19 years of no playoff was horrible...

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

McD needs to start with defensive schemes.  If this team wants to win a make a post season run, the defense has to find its identity. Right now, it’s  identity is that of pathetic bums. If McD van scheme out D back to being average, I feel we can make a run.

I meant that McD needs to start by beating the McCheats, as opposed to worrying about the next 3 weeks.

• Like (+1) 2

Hang on. We already have The Wizard on these boards. Who is this guys "Wizard" who thinks he can come in here and start posting about signature wins and think that it's OK?

Side note, the signature win thing has been disccused many times over and I get it, but as far as I'm concerned you can count the Miami win and the Rams win as signature. They were hard fought battles that our QB pulled out in the end. If those aren't signature wins, I don't know or care what the term means. 

I think at this point McClappington needs to win a playoff game.

That moves the franchise forward now.

Another first playoff game loss is not going to do it.

The big "we finally did it!" win we all wanted to see against NE is not going to happen; it can't happen now that they have moved on from Brady, had a bunch of covid no-shows, and are having a pretty terrible season.

• Like (+1) 2