A Few Thoughts About the Jets Game, in no particular order

Virgil

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Great write up as usual just 2 things I wanted to say.

We held them to 4 yards I believe in the 2nd half! 

And I thought rookie CB Dane Jackson looked excellent.  A nice int , pass break up and he played fast with confidence.  Interesting to see what happens there going forward. I still think Levi is missed and should be back any week now. 

And penalties killed us again. Gotta cut back on pre snap penalties. 

I liked that Dane was aggressive. Enough of the soft zone where receivers are catching everything and the DBs are just making tackles.  He had 2 pass breakups and the INT.

The total team passes defensed was very low the last I looked.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, finn said:

Zooming out a bit, I don't think the Bills have changed much at all since the start of the season. They never were as good as the hype early on, nor are they as awful as the disparagement they're getting now (Bleacher Report just called them "lightweights"). On balance, I'd say they're about as good as they were last year. There's hope, though: the potential of the offense (getting Smokey, Ford and Feliciano back) PLUS the potential of the defense (Milano and Levi back, Dane Jackson emerging, Tremaine regaining form, some 1-technique guy stepping up) exceeds last year potential. They still can be a dominant team if all the pieces fall into place. 

About as good, I would say the offense is a little better and defense a little worse.  

But I have hope the defense can return to form.  They seem to not be playing well as a unit and flowing to the ball.  Miscommunications in the secondary, bad angles, missed gaps etc.  That's all fixable and I expect as much.  Hopefully second half was the start of it!

Beasley, is a dynamo, he just knows how to find the open spot, I also like how he knows when to lose a yard to gain more, if he can't he just dives forward to gain more yardage, I hate the Patriots WRs but they do this very well, especially Edelman.

Kroft  is a fine TE, good in line blocker and good enough athlete for defenses to be alert about his presence. His wors enemy are injuries. Knox will have to prove he's a better catcher than him to unseat him, because I think Knox is a very goot at run blocking. I also like that Gillam guy, every time he steps into the field he does his work. 

EJ Epenesa looks thin out on the field, though he made some positive plays, at one point he was lined up incorrectly, one of the LBs or safeties, made him moved to the outside and had a great tackle for loss on a toss to a Jets RB. 

The call in the game that had me scratching my head was the 3rd and 2 late in the game.  A 1st down there and it's victory formation..  Allen in shotgun with Moss.  Fakes a handoff to Moss and then a delayed run by Allen into the Jet's Dline.  No gain.  FG kicked for an 18-10 lead.  Why lineup so deep if you intended a QB run?  Even a handoff to Moss would have succeeded as it "appeared" he was running free off tackle. 

Can't remember too many games where a QB has 300 yards passing and no TDs.  I think they said on the telecast yesterday that this was the first NFL game won this year by a team not scoring a TD.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll take Kroft any day over Knox.  He's more dependable in every phase.

I was thinking about what McDermott says to Bass as a pregame pep-talk.

I'm pretty sure he says, "Please don't suck."

Don't change Hughes' pregame meal.

Edited by hemma
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, wjag said:

The call in the game that had me scratching my head was the 3rd and 2 late in the game.  A 1st down there and it's victory formation..  Allen in shotgun with Moss.  Fakes a handoff to Moss and then a delayed run by Allen into the Jet's Dline.  No gain.  FG kicked for an 18-10 lead.  Why lineup so deep if you intended a QB run?  Even a handoff to Moss would have succeeded as it "appeared" he was running free off tackle. 

Can't remember too many games where a QB has 300 yards passing and no TDs.  I think they said on the telecast yesterday that this was the first NFL game won this year by a team not scoring a TD.

Right call, wrong decision by Allen.  I personally believe Allen had no intention of letting Moss run that regardless of what the defense showed. 

Allen is a baller and ballers keep the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

4 - I'm a king bee buzzing around your hive

Now I'm a king bee darling buzzing around your hive

Yeah, I can make some honey babe if you let me fly up inside

Cause I'm young and able to buzz all night long I'm young and able mama,

Lord to buzz all night long

And you know together we can make some honey

Like the world ain't never known

What?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Right call, wrong decision by Allen.  I personally believe Allen had no intention of letting Moss run that regardless of what the defense showed. 

Allen is a baller and ballers keep the ball. 

I’d also it had something to do with keeping the ball on the left hash, Bass is much better from there. Moss was running end around to the right hash. I’m sure they didn’t want it on the right.

For me it was right call but the OL did an awful job blocking it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

When coming off a two game losing streak, even if you are about to play the Jets, sometimes you have to change things up as a fan.  For myself, I kept the meal the same but didn't take notes this game.  Rather than looking at certain players or watching parts of the field, I just watched the game as a fan and was curious to see what would stand out to me hours later.  With that, if I miss a detail or something, be gentle.

1 - Bass - Let's start with the man who was 100% of our offense.  I'm sure there's going to be a lot of different opinions on him today as many will pick apart the misses.  I was overall impressed with him and there were two things that stood out to me, besides his obviously powerful leg.  My biggest concern with Bass going into this game was that he seemed to just boom the ball off his foot and didn't show a lot of overall control.  Today, you saw the spin and draw that most kickers have, which gave me more confidence.  The best part of his game today was his second miss.  He didn't look lost or beaten down, but instead immediately took ownership and you could tell it didn't phase him.  He didn't take the miss as a sign of not deserving of being on the field, but was instead just a miss.  We knew this season was going to have it's ups and downs with Bass, so this was a good progression game and ultimately did what we needed today.  I would have called this the "Special Teams" though, but we didn't punt.  Although, Roberts did continue to have some nice returns.

2 - Scripted drives.  I'll be honest, I was a little nervous when the game started as the Jets moved down the field fairly effortlessly against our defense.  The entire first half had to make you wonder if we were in for an upset.  I never was worried overall, but it was hard not to at least consider the possibility.  We were prone to the normal misdirection passes and were gashed on the zone runs.  I always think of the Mike Mularkey days when we would score an opening drive TD every game, but then couldn't do anything else.  That was the Jets in the first half with only a few possessions.  They made it look effortless until the scripted plays wore off.  That's when things got ugly for them real quick.

3 - Rushing Attack - I was just going to focus on Motor, but Moss overall had a strong game today as well.  It was frustrating on some of our drives how much we abandoned the run, especially when we proved that it was working well enough to keep it alive.  I think Daboll needs to work on his run/pass ratio, but I really want to talk about two things with Motor.  His pass blocking/blitz pick-ups are light years ahead of where they were last season.  He does a fantastic job there and I like to see that evolution.  Also, and I'm terrified to jinx it, but he also covers the ball a lot better and hasn't coughed one up yet.  He uses both arms on the ball and holds it tighter between the hashes; again, another improvement.  Moss was a good compliment, but I still worry about his speed.  He doesn't ever make me feel like he's going to break one.

4 - I'm a king bee buzzing around your hive

Now I'm a king bee darling buzzing around your hive

Yeah, I can make some honey babe if you let me fly up inside

Cause I'm young and able to buzz all night long I'm young and able mama,

Lord to buzz all night long

And you know together we can make some honey

Like the world ain't never known

5 - Beasley - Talk about a quite 100 yard game.  Beasley is the key to this offense while defenses are running 2-3 deep safeties against us.  How Beasley was utilized today was perfect and I hope to see more of the same.  I was hoping to see more Gabriel Davis today in a similar fashion, but I'd have to see the All-22 to watch if he was running the deep routes with Diggs.  Either way, it's crazy to think our #3 is well on his way to a 1K season.  I love the toughness he plays with and don't know if we win this game today without him.  I hope he eats the Pats alive next week and is the best short route receiver on the field.

6 - Kroft - Regardless of when Knox can come back, I believe Kroft needs to remain the primary started at TE going forward this season.  He didn't post huge stats, but caught all 4 balls his way and was fantastic with his blocking.  In both the rush and pass, Kroft owned guys on a few plays today and his reliability in both blocking and short yardage catching is something I can't understate.  If Allen's throw is a little better, Kroft takes a long one to the house.  Knox has a ton of potential, but I think he needs to earn that snap count before we pull Kroft's reliability off the field.  Yes, this is the first time I've ever complimented Kroft in one of these.  

7 - Offense - This is a tough one for me as I can't quite put a pin on what the issues are with the offense.  Yes, Allen had another 300 yard passing game, but we were also in Jets territory at least 9 times and didn't score a touchdown (I want to see a replay of the one called back).  Our red zone offense has been a point of pride this season and it was non-existent today.  I liked the few Allen called runs to keep the defense honest.  I didn't like how little Diggs was targeted early in the game, although I saw a stat of how much Josh was spreading it around.  Yes, defenses have been playing to stop the deep ball, but we've struggled to adjust through 3 games at this point and the schedule isn't getting any easier.  Today wasn't about Josh being off, but just the offense missing something.

8 - Safeties - Poyer is still one of the more under-rated safeties in the game.  His ability to play anywhere on the field and then, once he sees where the ball is going, go after it like a heat-seeking missile is impressive.  He's going to be a big factor next week against the Pats and I believe he will bring it.  Hyde was solid in coverage today, but I really want to talk about his PF.  Man, if there was ever an NFL play!  I get protecting the defenseless receiver, so the penalty didn't bother me too much.  I would argue that the receiver lowered his head at the time of hit, and his injury was less about the head shot and more about getting absolutely blasted by a strong NFL defender.  These guys don't get enough credit in my opinion and was happy to see the energy they brought to the defense today. 

9 - 2nd Half Defense.  I don't really know what to even say specifically about the group.  I know it was the Jets, but they are still technically and NFL team who showed decent success in the first half.  Someone can add the stats in for me if they want, but Darnold completed what, 2 passes in the second half?  I think they had less than 40 total yards too?  I mean, the defenders were flying to the ball and the defensive line actually started to make some plays.  Hughes was amped up towards the end and somehow walked away with an interception.  Even AJ seemed to be showing signs of life in this game.  However, I do want to call out that we put more guys in the box for pressure, which shockingly worked (sarcasm).  Hopefully, this game is the spark needed by the team going forward.  I was surprised to hear Harrison being a healthy scratch again and am concerned about his trajectory.  But the DB's played a much better game today and the linebackers didn't totally whiff on their tackles, which was a plus

10 - 5-2 - Talk about playing the Jets twice all your want, but we've earned wins against 3 teams with .500 records or better and have survived quite a few injuries.  Going into this game, I was hoping we would sit more guys if they thought the extra week would help them get better.  I'm glad we didn't because we needed everyone today.  My season MVP besides Allen still goes to Smoke as you can feel his absence out there. Each Sunday is a new game and the past means nothing.  We have some tough games overall coming up, but this next one is the difference maker.  Don't even look at the Pats record.  What matters is that McD has never beaten the Hoodie and the division is there's until someone actually takes it from them.  There's no excuses in this next game and 6-2 at the halfway mark is a big win with this schedule.  Every team goes through moments in a season where they have to adjust and re-invent.  Hopefully we are seeing our offense and defense slowing coming through the other side of that.  Regardless, it's about the record and 5-2 is a great start to the season with a division guiding game coming up next.  

Go Bills!

Darnold completed 1 pass and the Jets had 4 total yards in the second half. They had 2 first downs, one of them by  the PF Penalty from the hit by Hyde on the last drive...

• Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Darnold completed 1 pass and the Jets had 4 total yards in the second half. They had 2 first downs, one of them by  the PF Penalty from the hit by Hyde on the last drive...

Damn.  Didn’t know it was that bad. 

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

I liked that Dane was aggressive. Enough of the soft zone where receivers are catching everything and the DBs are just making tackles.  He had 2 pass breakups and the INT.

Jackson had a nice run stop early on as well.  

It was great to see the Bills get a FG right before half.  Jackson gets the interception and Allen leads the offense downfield for the FG.  In a game where the offense struggled with their execution, this was a bright spot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I’d also it had something to do with keeping the ball on the left hash, Bass is much better from there. Moss was running end around to the right hash. I’m sure they didn’t want it on the right.

For me it was right call but the OL did an awful job blocking it up. 

or the Jets were waiting for it.   It was a mano-mano situation and we lost

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

Ya the soft zone coverage is killing me!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Jackson had a nice run stop early on as well.  

It was great to see the Bills get a FG right before half.  Jackson gets the interception and Allen leads the offense downfield for the FG.  In a game where the offense struggled with their execution, this was a bright spot.

The INT before the half which they followed up by getting a FG to make it 10-6 was the turning point in the game. Before that I was a little nervous and thinking that an upset was a possibility. Once they made 10-6 I knew they were going to come back and win.

• Like (+1) 1

I am thrilled we selected Bass and sad to see Houschka decline BUT having said that, if the Bills had lost one one of those missed field goals  at the end i think there would be a totally different "take" on his performance.  No way we even try 53 yrd with Houschka.

I for one think his play as a rookie has been great, esp coming from a smaller school.   Probably a big benefit he doesnt have to deal with major crowd noise.  I have to think he will be better next year.

Special mention and game ball to Bojorquez! He held the ball well for every field goal attempt 😝 Dude has been playing REALLY well the last games but it was nice for him to get an easy afternoon ha ha

Knox (and BROWN!!!) stretch the field and wow does that make a difference, though I'm sure Beasly can' t complain. I was happy for Kroft. He had one hell of game for a guy that missed sleep like he did. Game ball! Awesome blocking too. And true about Singletarry's blocking as well, Josh can breathe easy when he knows Motor will pick up the loose guy. Now if he could run like in the first weeks...

I was saying to my kids how Hughes finally had a good game and a minute later he got a sack and INT and turned it up to great. Game ball!

Josh made all kind of good decisions with calling for protection, keeping the ball on all run plays except that last 3rd & 2.

Hyde deserved that penalty but it was a good one! He turned a long gain (of about 30 yards?) to 15.  Nasty hit. Ouch.

2 hours ago, wjag said:

Actually Broncos beat the Pats not scoring a TD.