High Football IQ

Bills one of 14 teams to start 5-2 while being outscored, only 5 made playoffs

Interesting tidbit that is telling and likely forshadowing another 2008/2011 type of season:

Tim Graham

@ByTimGraham

Since NFL went to 16-game schedule in 1978, 14 teams have started 5-2 while being outscored.

Only five made the playoffs.

Since at least 1953 (as far back as I can check), just 18 teams have started a season 5-2 while being outscored

• Meh 2
  • Skeptical 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Interesting tidbit that is telling and likely forshadowing another 2008/2011 type of season:

Why would this be anything like that? We have a far superior quarterback talent to anything resembling the 2008 or 11 seasons 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Meh 1

I've been mentioning our negative point differential for a few weeks now.

It's a much better predictor of overall team quality than record.

We're at -4 right now.

Miami, at 3-3,  is +47!  

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

There are situations in life when the past is prologue. This is not one of those situations.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Meh 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Why would this be anything like that? We have a far superior quarterback talent to anything resembling the 2008 or 11 seasons 

I certainly don't think Allen is on the same level as the QB's we had those seasons, but who really believes he's a true franchise guy after the last 3 weeks?

Yes today was better but it was one of the more hollow 300+ yard games I've ever seen from any QB and he is still very shaky and confused at times and could have easily tossed 3 INT's today.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Meh 3
  • Skeptical 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Ooo. Sound the Horn. They are -4 in Point differential. They obviously outscored 5 teams so far haven’t they???? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Meh 1

1 minute ago, High Football IQ said:

I certainly don't think Allen is on the same level as the QB's we had those seasons, but who really believes he's a true franchise guy after the last 3 weeks?

Yes today was better but it was one of the more hollow 300+ yard games I've ever seen from any QB and he is still very shaky and confused at times and could have easily tossed 3 INT's today.

I still believe

• Like (+1) 3

cool we are playing that game. Ok He COULD have tossed 6 TDs (we know he did ONE that was take down off by a BS penalty.). 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Just now, High Football IQ said:

Your blaming Allen for the Tennessee debacle? It’s kinda hard to comeback when you get one possession in the 4th quarter..Aaron Rogers lost 38-10 to Tampa Bay 

I keep hearing how he could've thrown all these interceptions.  Maybe he just throws the ball so damn hard the CB's can't catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

We are -4, and a Kroft stumble away from not falling into this criteria. Or Gabe Davis standing 1.5 feet closer to the line. Or any of the garbage time silliness in Tennessee. 

I'm not too worried 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I've been mentioning our negative point differential for a few weeks now.

It's a much better predictor of overall team quality than record.

We're at -4 right now.

Miami, at 3-3,  is +47!  

Everything is clicking for the Dolphins and there is a reason they made the move they did at QB....it's to win the division which I honestly see happening when it's all said and done, even if they only get to 9-7 in the process that will do it this year in the AFC East.

Even if the Bills somehow win the division and make the playoffs they are going to get smashed by the Steelers or Ravens at home and it will be a much quicker one and done than previous seasons so not sure who is looking forward to that. In fact you are going likely going to see a 13 win team be the #5 seed which shows how loaded the conference is and how much the gap truly is between the Bills and the AFC's elite.

• Meh 1
  • Skeptical 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

I believe he’s truly our franchise guy.  He’s still on his upward curve.  Getting better and better by the year.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

There are situations in life when the past is prologue. This is not one of those situations.

Pittsburgh +65

Baltimore +75

Tennessee +35

KC +75

Buffalo MINUS FOUR

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

If Smoke played today, the Bills score 21 more point points. Have to take stats in context. Of course, none of that covers the fact that divisional opponents are inevitably more challenging...regardless of record. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Don't say that...you'll be forever labeled a hater.

It's weird though, as much as I haven't believed in Allen the past 2 seasons, I STILL feel he's better this year than in the past. It's obvious he still isn't close to MVP-level (which those threads were always stupid to begin with), but can he keep improving? I think so. Today was a "take what the defense gives you," kind of game. 

His TD to INT ratio has always been weird to me though. He could've had 3 INT's today, and last year there were tons of passes he threw right into the DB's hands that they somehow dropped, preserving long stretches without an INT. I think it's one of the upsides to his strong arm, it throws defenders off a bit.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 3