Reduce the size and complexity of the offensive play book

Alphadawg7

I think there's merit to this discussion. Daboll does need to do a better job getting this offence into rhythm..he calls too many plays early looking for explosive chunk plays ...that works when you have excellent protection like Josh did in game 1-4 but when you don't connect you get quickly into 3rd and longs and quick 3 n outs...

the second half of this game was far more balanced with more quick reads off of rpos..sometimes it's okay to take a 6 yard gain . The defence is obviously not as stout as we expected entering the season so our best bet is to keep the ball as much as possible. 

Daboll used Kroft on some bubble screens that were really effective when the Jets corners were playing off with zone looks, they need to go to that well more often. 5-7 yards is a good play and Allen will eventually understand that.

I don't mind Jet sweeps in the red zone, but their success is dependent on creating hesitation on players getting to the outside and your receiver setting the edge. There are usually 3-4 options with that play; Hand off to Mckenzie, Allen draw play, toss sweep to your HB the other direction (you could sneak your TE out too for a quick pass)...so you are attacking the field sideline to sideline. I think you need to fake that play to McKenzie a few times to see how teams react before it is money.

I would like to see our red zone offense use more gun bunch formations that would allow quick rub plays to free Beasley (the dude is slippery and should be a prime red zone threat), I like Kroft in the 11 personnel down there in a 3x1 set and wonder if they could motion him into the backfield as a lead blocker for Singletary, with a naked boot option for Allen, or pass out of the bunch if they sell out to stop the run. My hope is that Allen would hand off more than attempting the bootleg as you have to sell the direct play a few times before teams bite on a misdirection. 

Lots of ways Daboll can use this roster to better punch it in for scores. I don't like the slow developing razzle-dazzle in the red zone....they either end up penalties, sacks, or Allen chased out of bounds trying to force a play with the scramble drill. We need just quick scripted hitters, 1-2 and the ball should be out of Allen's hands, if he is not running it himself.

Edited by WideNine

15 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

To fix there problems in the Red Zone the bills need to start looking at the running backs we have and say your our number 1 no more running back by committee one  has to start taking pressure off of Josh,.

I think if you look at our running plays, you can see that a lot of the problem starts with the Offensive Line which has been, well, Offensive at run blocking.

Right now it's struggling big time in pass protection too, namely our guards - to  be fair, most OLs can't play 2 backup guards and maintain a high level - but before that, we weren't run blocking adequately.  It's fundamental stuff, letting DLmen shed blocks or hesitating about technique.

i think this thread is spot on.

josh takes a little longer to find his target on most multi target plays (he's gotten a lot better at quick screens tho).  he's got the talent and arm to buy himself some time.  but that weakness is emphasized and that positive ability is negated with goofy slow forming plays, MOST OF ALL WHEN THE FIELD IS SHORTER!  we should tend to have a fast first or second read for allen, because that gives him a chance to go through his reads and go back if need be.  he can also tuck the rock and just murder a deep drop D, but slow forming plays in compressed space remove that too.  

we had one audible into a run by allen where the halfback came through the hole and blocked.  allen got tackled about 3 or 4 yards up, but it was for a first down.  a missed tackle on a play like that can break for a score, and it's going to pull the LBs up.  dabo likes to either keep going to the qb run, or just throw it out totally, never really setting up the d with the same look to set up play action which gets the LBs fooled quickly after the snap.  the stuff NE is doing w newton or what andy reid always does works this way very well, we need a coach for our offensive coaches.

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think they need to reduce the size of the playbook a little bit and dial down the complexity.  Players in the past have already said its the most complicated they have seen, and that was before this year where he has clearly expanded the size of the playbook.

We are seeing too many dumb penalties on offense like illegal formations that have taken TD's off the board or killed drives.  Get this offense into a rhythm, make it just a little less complicated and keep it fresh with Josh ability to improvise.  Daboll is trying too hard on gimmick and trick plays.  He calls too many, and has bad timing with it too.  

Maybe just dial back the complexity and size just a little bit, at least until our offense gets healthy and get key guys back like Brown and Feliciano.   

That -11 yard end around to McKenzie was brilliant. Plays like the double fake screen take way too long to develop. 

• Like (+1) 1