SNF: Seahawks at Cardinals

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It was of my opinion that he was only capable of making those catches because I had lots of money on Arizona.  But that’s not the case.  He’s been making catches like that for years and could be the most underrated wr in the league   

I had the pleasure of watching Lockett live at a preseason game in his rookie year. I could tell he had the potential to be something special. He has grown very nicely alongside Russ. Now, with DK on the other side, he is always a threat to post like he did tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, y2zipper said:

The logic behind kicking on the earlier down is that on a bad snap you keep the ball.

So you do it on 3rd down, not 2nd.  Kingsbury screwed up royally there, and his defense bailed him out with the Simmons INT.  They came within a holding call of losing the game, when it was theirs to win if Kingsbury doesn't have a brain fart and kick the FG on 2nd down.

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Seattle takes these guys easy the Cardinals are

frauds 

Welp, this didn't age well

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Russel Wilson with the late game sacks and OT INT kind of shot his team in the foot here.

MVP!  MVP! 

3 INT game for Wilson.  To be fair, he made some amazing throws as well.  But we would harshly criticize Josh for some of those mistakes.

Monday morning reflections....

1. Terrific football game. That NFC West is really good fun. All four teams are good and all four teams are watchable as well and play generally entertaining games. I think all four are among the best 7 teams in the NFC the thing that is likely gonna keep at least two of them out of the playoffs is beating one another. Arizona is now 2-0 though against the 49ers and Seahawks.

2. Kyler Murray has generally cooled down after a pretty impressive first couple of weeks but he was hot last night. It helps having Hopkins and Fitz who you can trust to be in the right place at the right time but he was pretty on point passing, save for the INT.

3. If Arizona had Chandler Jones healthy they would really be a threat. The rest of the their team is really set up to allow their dline to tee off but even against a questionable oline they only managed two sacks. Some of that is Russ being Russ but there is a need for a dominant pass rusher. Even more galling for the Cardinals that they have one, he is just hurt.

4. Interesting Arizona gameplan. DK Metcalf is now officially Seattle's #1 receiver. When teams have two legit wideouts I always take the view that to find out who is the #1 ignore who catches the most balls or has the most yards and focus on who defences try and take away. Last year when teams played Seattle they gameplanned to stop Lockett. They let you have a couple of shot plays to DK but said "he isn't going to keep enough drives alive to beat us." That has now flipped. Arizona played Pat Pete on DK and pretty much took him away and said "we will let you try and beat us with Lockett." And Seattle almost did. Defending this team is like picking your poison.

5. If Seattle do not reach the Superbowl the reason will be their lines - particularly their defensive line. Their oline isn't great but at times in games does enough. But they are getting bashed up front on the defensive side.

6. The play of the game was made by two guys who went in round 2 of the NFL draft and are showing everyone they should have been first rounders. I had a 1st round grade on Budda Baker in that great DB draft of 2017 and he just keeps getting better. The one knock on him coming into this year was "needs to take the ball away" to which my counter was he plays so much more in the box he doesn't get the same opportunities. They are being even more multiple with him this year and he now has two in two weeks and that would have been a pick 6 against anyone other than DK Metcalf. Amazing closing speed from DK. Just incredible. I didn't have a 1st on him in 2019 I had a high 2nd but he was still in my top 32 and he clearly has shown he should have been a first round pick. DK and AJ Brown were on the same college offense. Just let that sink in for a moment.

EDIT: just one edit to further expand on point #6. One of my knocks on DK in college was inconsistent effort. There were times on his Ole Miss tape where frankly he was half assing it. I did kind of ponder way back when watching that whether he was just frustrated being on a bad team and knew he was going to the NFL whatever. To see the effort on that play last night just demonstrates he is far more locked in with Seattle than he ever was in college. Does also make you wonder if he'd have been that wherever he landed or if being on a good team matters with him. Just one thing to ponder.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

im getting ahead of myself but i am allowed because i am a fan.  so, assuming ne just still stinks and our d has figured out how not to be the worst, and we win that game, can we hope to split w these teams?

we'd need brown and at least one more TE, and mongo back to have a shot i think.  edmunds getting better would help too.  tall order tho

11 minutes ago, colin said:

im getting ahead of myself but i am allowed because i am a fan.  so, assuming ne just still stinks and our d has figured out how not to be the worst, and we win that game, can we hope to split w these teams?

we'd need brown and at least one more TE, and mongo back to have a shot i think.  edmunds getting better would help too.  tall order tho

I think we will beat New England and if you offered me a split between Seattle and Arizona right now I'd snap your hand off. I had a split in my game by game predictions. I had us beating Seattle at home and losing in Arizona. I still think that is the most likely way of getting a split. Try and score on the bad Seattle D.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Welp, this didn't age well

MVP!  MVP! 

3 INT game for Wilson.  To be fair, he made some amazing throws as well.  But we would harshly criticize Josh for some of those mistakes.

That first one was a terrible throw and decision.  Metcalf bailed him out. 

11 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Extreme in both directions so far. Offense is better than the defense is bad.

Not really.  Seattle STILL does not have a win over a team with a winning record and their defense gave up 37 points last night.  So yes, their schedule has been a joke and their defense is still a joke.  They are basically a Rams type team, not a Steelers or Titans level team.  A playoff team with flaws, nothing more. Seattle has no chance against a team like Tampa Bay or even Green Bay. If Seattle is lucky they win a playoff game. You can't go far with a terrible defense, and their defense is terrible.  

Edited by FUTURIST
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, FUTURIST said:

Not really.  Seattle STILL does not have a win over a team with a winning record and their defense gave up 37 points last night.  So yes, their schedule has been a joke and their defense is still a joke.  They are basically the Rams type team, not a Steelers or Titans level team.  A playoff team with flaws, nothing more.

While I think this is harsh it is fair to say that the NFC West is helped by playing the NFC LEast this year.

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I think this is harsh it is fair to say that the NFC West is helped by playing the NFC LEast this year.

What is harsh.  Seattle is the #32 Defense in the NFL. https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense

They are on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history and they have played a bunch of awful and ok teams.  5 wins against the Vikings, Patriots, Falcons, Cowboys, and Dolphins. Not one of those teams has a winning record. 

Edited by FUTURIST

8 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

What is harsh.  Seattle is the #32 Defense in the NFL. https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense

They are on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history and they have played a bunch of awful and ok teams.  5 wins against the Vikings, Patriots, Falcons, Cowboys, and Dolphins. Not one of those teams has a winning record. 

They are awful on defense without Jamal Adams.  Anyone watching that game last night knew that the Seahawks defense had zero chance of stopping the Cardinals in the fourth quarter and OT.  Carroll was an idiot to punt on 4th and 2 on their last possession of regulation.

Edited by mannc

Just now, mannc said:

They are awful on defense without Jamal Adams.  Anyone watching that game last night knew that the Seahawks defense had zero chance of stopping the Cardinals in the fourth quarter and OT.  Carroll was an idiot to punt on 4th and 2 on their last possession of the fourth quarter.

They were awful with Jamal Adams. Watch the Patriots-Seahawks game.  They are a historically bad defense.  They are on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history. That is not an exaggeration. 

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Is this a thing? I haven't seen any discussion of Kyler Murrary on this board.

This was an entire thread on here about how Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray  had been "figured out" by the league. 

9 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Really? I guess some impress easier than others. Arizona's 2nd half D won that game. Kyler's decent but let's hold off the coronation shall we. 

Right.  Kyler had very little to do with it....🤨

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Great game last night.  I stayed up way past my bedtime and I'm gonna be dragging ass at work today but it was worth it.  That DK Metcalf play was the best play I've seen all season.

A guy sprinting was the best play you’ve seen all season?  I think Lockett made 3 catches last night that were better than a big man sprinting straight 

18 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

This was an entire thread on here about how Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray  had been "figured out" by the league. 

Right.  Kyler had very little to do with it....🤨

He had a lot to do with it.....but Arizona’s D got stops and picked RW off 3 times.  They pressured him and confused him.  How many times was Kyler murray hit last night?  None.  Seattle’s DL looked like 4 Harrison Phillips out there last night.  Partially because murray is ultra elusive, partly because SeattleS DL is garbage.  Arizona’s defense came up big in big spots.  Seattle’s D was invisible all game. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He had a lot to do with it.....but Arizona’s D got stops and picked RW off 3 times.  They pressured him and confused him.  How many times was Kyler murray hit last night?  None.  Seattle’s DL looked like 4 Harrison Phillips out there last night.  Partially because murray is ultra elusive, partly because SeattleS DL is garbage.  Arizona’s defense came up big in big spots.  Seattle’s D was invisible all game. 

AZ’s defense really stepped it up at the end of regulation and OT.  Very aggressive and smart.  I haven’t seen Wilson look like that in a long time.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Not really.  Seattle STILL does not have a win over a team with a winning record and their defense gave up 37 points last night.  So yes, their schedule has been a joke and their defense is still a joke.  They are basically a Rams type team, not a Steelers or Titans level team.  A playoff team with flaws, nothing more. Seattle has no chance against a team like Tampa Bay or even Green Bay. If Seattle is lucky they win a playoff game. You can't go far with a terrible defense, and their defense is terrible.  

I agree.

Arizona has losses to the Lions and Panthers, two middling teams.  Arizona's 2 statement wins are in division against a Seattle (a team with zero victories against winning teams as you pointed out) and San Francisco in week 1 who has losses to Miami and Philadelphia.  

I think its way to early to anoint the entire NCF West for beating each other and the NCF East.  Arizona and Seattle will be big tests for us but Buffalo is looming as one of the tougher games on their schedules as well.