The hyde hit

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Looked to me like he pulled his head back to lessen the blow. 

Yes.  Head pulled away and shoulder was to the sternum with initial contact.  Maybe a penalty after the initial contact due to the whiplash.  Often the concussion happens when their head hits the turf.

the hit was not only legal, it was an awesome defensive tackle/hit, he led with his shoulder as I saw it. it did not deserve a flag and this "defenseless player" bs just shows how soft the league has become. I understand protecting players but if you want to do that, be consistent with the calls/non calls.

you want a dirty hit on a defenseless player,  this right here is an example of it and # 53 is a scumbag for doing it.

is this incidental contact or using the helmet to knock the opponent out?

you make the call.

Edited by A Firm Tree Does Not Fear
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, gobills404 said:

I'm no expert but to me that looks like Hyde leading with his shoulder into Perrimans chest.

20201025_195752.jpg

a shoulder to the head/neck area is still a penalty. It’s not just helmet to helmet contact. Your photo is the definitive shot of it actually being a penalty.

12 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Listening to Boomer on WFAN...he said he thought it was a clean hit.

it was...he caused an incompletion...just a few years ago it would have been called a great play. Darnold gave him a  "buddy pass."

• Like (+1) 3

It would not have been hard for Hyde to get a little lower.  Three inches lower, and there would have been no questionable contact.  There were some ticky tack calls in the game, but I'm OK with the call on that play.

I’m not sure if it was a clean or illegal hit. It’s borderline either way. I do know one thing though. It needed to happen. We could not let that ball be caught. I would have him do the same thing over and over if needed, and our secondary should not be shy about delivering such contact. 

• Like (+1) 2

They call this all day now. I dont like it but it is there to protect the players. And they called it defenseless receiver not helmet to helmet. The rule is so subjective - if it is not a big hit you can hit the received to make him drop the ball, but if it is a big hit then you cant. 

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

a shoulder to the head/neck area is still a penalty. It’s not just helmet to helmet contact. Your photo is the definitive shot of it actually being a penalty.

So what does he do there? Simply let the completion be made?

What’s so frustrating to me is how some are called and others aren’t. So subjective...as evidenced by the hit on Josh above and countless other hits we all see. 

I stand by my earlier comments: it looked questionable at the time but, once they rolled the replay, I thought it was clean. No helmet to helmet, didn’t hit his head or neck but chest. How is that not legal?

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

It would not have been hard for Hyde to get a little lower.  Three inches lower, and there would have been no questionable contact.  There were some ticky tack calls in the game, but I'm OK with the call on that play.

And when a playoff game is on the line for the Bills and say this happens would you be happy with the call?

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

So what does he do there? Simply let the completion be made?

What’s so frustrating to me is how some are called and others aren’t. So subjective...as evidenced by the hit on Josh above and countless other hits we all see. 

I stand by my earlier comments: it looked questionable at the time but, once they rolled the replay, I thought it was clean. No helmet to helmet, didn’t hit his head or neck but chest. How is that not legal?

the branding of “helmet to helmet” is leading you astray. 

it’s a tough game and not every play is going to give a player a great option. That’s why the get paid a lot.  In this case Hyde has to get lower or be ok with the penalty risk. I’m not mad at him or the nfl. 

and if your standard is perfectly calling these across all kinds of crews, angles, games, it’ll always bug you. We aren’t being singled out here. 

3 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

And when a playoff game is on the line for the Bills and say this happens would you be happy with the call?

it’s the right call.

i wouldnt be thrilled but I wouldn’t be able to say we were jobbed either 

24 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Meaning it’s called on the other team?

22 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

if your standard is perfectly calling these across all kinds of crews, angles, games, it’ll always bug you

My complaints about refs is typically, “Give me a break”. I don’t let it bug me. 

This one is different, though. It was a good football play in my judgment. 

I don't know whether it was legal or not. It certainly didn't seem malicious or intentional. It's pretty hard to play DB in the league right now with the way the rules are written.

All that being said, it may well have stopped the Jets from scoring a TD in the waning moments. Instead of a 20+ yard gain and some momentum, it went down as a 15 yard play (which the Bills got 10 of back on an ensuing holding call) and Perriman leaving the game.

Late to the thread, and yall wont like hearing it, but it was a penalty and not a great hit.

"Eyes through the Thighs" is how you properly tackle. Hyde had the time and room to line him up correctly with proper technique but chose not to. So he gets the flag.

You cant launch your shoulder into a guys chin. Just cant do it.

Defenders, especially Safeties, should be well aware of the league trying to get rid of this human-missile, poor form, dangerous tackling technique. He could have had a big hit there legally too. That's on Hyde.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Late to the thread, and yall wont like hearing it, but it was a penalty and not a great hit.

"Eyes through the Thighs" is how you properly tackle. Hyde had the time and room to line him up correctly with proper technique but chose not to. So he gets the flag.

You cant launch your shoulder into a guys chin. Just cant do it.

Defenders, especially Safeties, should be well aware of the league trying to get rid of this human-missile, poor form, dangerous tackling technique. He could have had a big hit there legally too. That's on Hyde.

Agreed, coming with such perfect angle and perfect timing Hyde would have been separated the ball from the receiver without hitting the receiver face.

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't know whether it was legal or not. It certainly didn't seem malicious or intentional. It's pretty hard to play DB in the league right now with the way the rules are written.

All that being said, it may well have stopped the Jets from scoring a TD in the waning moments. Instead of a 20+ yard gain and some momentum, it went down as a 15 yard play (which the Bills got 10 of back on an ensuing holding call) and Perriman leaving the game.

This hit is really not subjective, and with the way the rule is written this hit is a blatant penalty. There's a reason 3 flags came flying in from 3 different refs right after the hit. This is the exact type of play the NFL wants to remove from the game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1