The hyde hit

Just now, NewEra said:

Looked to me like he pulled his head back to lessen the blow. 

Yeah he absolutely pulled the punch so as not to kill the guy, but he was coming across so fast there wasn't much he could do.

He maybe could have got a little lower but then he's almost conceding the catch and possibly risking injury to himself.

It's a tough, tough position for a DB playing at top speed.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m sorry.  That’s a fantastic play by Hyde.  He separated the ball from the Receiver.  So theoretically if a WR catches the ball up by his helmet, you’re not allowed to make a play on the ball?  Any contact above the neck was incidental after he separated the ball.  I get why the refs called it, but they need some leeway on a play where the defender is trying to dislodge the ball.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yeah he absolutely pulled the punch so as not to kill the guy, but he was coming across so fast there wasn't much he could do.

He maybe could have got a little lower but then he's almost conceding the catch and possibly risking injury to himself.

It's a tough, tough position for a DB playing at top speed.

Yeah, he goes from trying to defend the pass to trying to not kill the guy in a millisecond. Would’ve been terrible if that would’ve led to a TD.  Jerry made sure that wasn’t to happen.  Finally

The funny thing is most head trauma incidents stem from body to body contact anyway, not head shots.

If I hit you in your center of mass hard enough, your head will snap, and when it does, your brain will hit the inside of your skull and that's where all the trouble lies.

I thought it was a "clean" hit, and yet he still clearly knocked the guy out, or at least knocked him senseless for a while.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Man I know that was a potentially game altering  penalty but I don't think I can name another play this season on defense that got me more excited. Looked shoulder to helmet to me, don't like the call, but I get why they call it.

The thought that went through my head was I'll take the penalty for the result of that hit causing an incompletion.  Was a net yardage gain, and the holding call the next play helped alot too.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

And if the NFL can't explain what the defender is supposed to do there, then it shouldn't be a rule.

Literally everyone is "defenseless" going to make a catch.

Keep the rule at hitting with your head or hitting at the opponent's head.  That's it.  

You have to make a play on the ball. The days of making a big hit right as the ball arrives to prevent a catch are basically over.

Boy you fans have rose coloured glasses......

It was a penalty no ifs ands or buts and if that happened to a Bill you'd be screaming suspension.  

You can hear the helmets hit!!!

Now conversely one can argue it saved the Bills 7 yards, knocked out a receiver and momentum.

16 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Boy you fans have rose coloured glasses......

It was a penalty no ifs ands or buts and if that happened to a Bill you'd be screaming suspension.  

You can hear the helmets hit!!!

Now conversely one can argue it saved the Bills 7 yards, knocked out a receiver and momentum.

You “heard helmets hit” or just making up a story ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1