The hyde hit

I don't think it was a penalty, but I do not think the majority of fans understand exactly what the penalty is.

Helmet to helmet is a penalty, but I do not believe this was what was called.

ANY contact to the head or neck area of a "defenseless receiver" is automatically a penalty. 

Now, I'm not convinced Hyde hit him in the head, but that is what was called.

Edited by Clemfield2622
  • Like (+1) 2

That hit is not a penalty in Paul Tagliabue’s league, just a well-timed hard hit that dislodged the ball from the wide receiver. In Roger Goodell’s league it’s a penalty every time. You’re not allowed to hit with violence anymore unless that player already possesses the football. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

He just lit up that receiver. I mean I get they are trying to protect the player but what is the defender supposed to do? Let them catch it??

yes let them catch it is the only play there according to “soft ass rules” 

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

That hit is not a penalty in Paul Tagliabue’s league, just a well-timed hard hit that dislodged the ball from the wide receiver. In Roger Goodell’s league it’s a penalty every time. You’re not allowed to hit with violence anymore unless that player already possesses the football. 

even then if it looks hard they will throw the flag.      It’s pure nonsense 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It was one of those where I think helmet contact was almost incidental— came after the shoulder to chest shot, and seemed like more of a glancing blow. 

In the replay there was no helmet to helmet contact: it was literally a text book hit. He led with his shoulder and worked to disrupt the receiver with a hard hit. 

Should not have been a penalty. If it is, then the NFL should just get rid of the entire defensive backfield. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

In the replay there was no helmet to helmet contact: it was literally a text book hit. He led with his shoulder and worked to disrupt the receiver with a hard hit. 

Should not have been a penalty. If it is, then the NFL should just get rid of the entire defensive backfield. 

This is exactly my take as well Trout. It was an extremely fast play that Darnold placed his WR at risk. I really don't know what Hyde could have done differently other than not hitting him and letting him score. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1