Can we give some love to Cole Beasley?

Hebert19

3 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Clutch? 

He’s improved this year for sure, but he is far from clutch. Never, in his career has he been considered “clutch”. 

He’s a nice complimentary player, that can get open in the slot. That’s it. 

And that’s ok. 

This is one of these takes that has the folks who love x's and o's kind of 🙄 a bit.

Last year, Allen could hardly buy a deep completion.  So teams smothered the short and intermediate routes where Beasley is "Money"

This year, Allen started out Hot Hot Hot on the deep routes.  So teams are smothering those and playing zone, and Beasley is feasting on the gaps in their zone

Is Beasley better?  Maybe - he was recovering from groin surgery last year.  Maybe he's got his "jump" back, maybe he's more used to how Josh throws, maybe Josh is giving him more "touch" and throwing with more anticipation instead of just gunning it in there. 

But a major difference between last year and this year so far is how opponent's defenses are playing us

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/25/2020 at 6:40 PM, Hebert19 said:

Dude has been there when we needed him all year.  3rd down.  Or need a big play.  He keeps making them.   He's on pace for well over 1000 yards and 80ish catches.    

Without him this brown injury would have been insurmountable.  Knox hurt or invisible.  Kroft just average at best and they are doubling diggs non stop. 

Beas is a baller. 

A coworker of mine (chiefs fan no less) call d out how steady reliable consistent  he is. 

great call. He is the epitome of possession WR and gets some yac which we like 

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think our definition of what clutch is must be quite different. The dude was a go-to in Dallas when they needed a quick first and he’s developed into that in buffalo. It has nothing to do with a ton of yards or catches overall. Back when we signed him I literally had 5 or 6 cowboys fans in passing by local establishments comment on how much they’ll miss his presence on big downs. 

Just quoting off overall averages on stats doesn’t say much if anything about clutch factors IMO. Not really even close to what I would define it as. 

“Still not a huge fan of his”.... said one person out of a whole 3 pages of comments.... geez man. 

Yeah man, sorry I’m not going to back track on my statement. 

I did some digging after you claimed that he was considered clutch by “everyone”. You also mentioned his “pace” for receptions and yards. In absolutely zero of the 5 articles i read about him, was the word “clutch” used. In fact, a very different picture was painted. He had some issues in Dallas with play calling, specifically the amount of targets he was getting, and he criticized the heavy run game approach, on more than one occasion. 

Picking up the occasional 1st down, does not warrant the “clutch” label. He’s made some plays this year, and he’s had some drops on 3rd and short and 2nd and long too.

Not exactly “clutch”. 

And saying that I’m the only dissenter in 3 pages, doesn’t mean anything. Sorry, but this place is ripe with horrible takes on both sides after a game. When he drops the ball in December on 3rd and 7 in the 3rd quarter, we can revisit this thread, and see how many pages will be devoted to how “clutch” Beasley is. 

4 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Clutch? 

He’s improved this year for sure, but he is far from clutch. Never, in his career has he been considered “clutch”. 

He’s a nice complimentary player, that can get open in the slot. That’s it. 

And that’s ok. 

2016 he made 51 1st downs on 98 targets and he's approaching those numbers again this year.

>50% of targets are 1st downs? 

Yeah, that's clutch.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Yeah man, sorry I’m not going to back track on my statement. 

I did some digging after you claimed that he was considered clutch by “everyone”. You also mentioned his “pace” for receptions and yards. In absolutely zero of the 5 articles i read about him, was the word “clutch” used. In fact, a very different picture was painted. He had some issues in Dallas with play calling, specifically the amount of targets he was getting, and he criticized the heavy run game approach, on more than one occasion. 

Picking up the occasional 1st down, does not warrant the “clutch” label. He’s made some plays this year, and he’s had some drops on 3rd and short and 2nd and long too.

Not exactly “clutch”. 

And saying that I’m the only dissenter in 3 pages, doesn’t mean anything. Sorry, but this place is ripe with horrible takes on both sides after a game. When he drops the ball in December on 3rd and 7 in the 3rd quarter, we can revisit this thread, and see how many pages will be devoted to how “clutch” Beasley is. 

Right. It must be literally everyone else in this thread that doesn’t get it. LOLOL. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is one of these takes that has the folks who love x's and o's kind of 🙄 a bit.

Last year, Allen could hardly buy a deep completion.  So teams smothered the short and intermediate routes where Beasley is "Money"

This year, Allen started out Hot Hot Hot on the deep routes.  So teams are smothering those and playing zone, and Beasley is feasting on the gaps in their zone

Is Beasley better?  Maybe - he was recovering from groin surgery last year.  Maybe he's got his "jump" back, maybe he's more used to how Josh throws, maybe Josh is giving him more "touch" and throwing with more anticipation instead of just gunning it in there. 

But a major difference between last year and this year so far is how opponent's defenses are playing us

This is a great write up about a steady player. 

Clutch players don’t emerge when the defense softens up on the strengths of a player. Clutch players emerge when the defense is working to stop your strengths, and yet you still achieve. 

Just now, hemma said:

2016 he made 51 1st downs on 98 targets and he's approaching those numbers again this year.

>50% of targets are 1st downs? 

Yeah, that's clutch.

I guess what we have different definitions of clutch.

Over his career, 70% of his 1st downs have come when his team is behind. That should tell you plenty about where the stat you mentioned, comes into play. 

His team is down, the QB takes what the defense gives him, and they move the chains. That’s not clutch. 

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Right. It must be literally everyone else in this thread that doesn’t get it. LOLOL. 

I haven’t mentioned any other poster in this thread, but I’m glad you find your joke funny. 

Go Bills!

10 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Clutch players don’t emerge when the defense softens up on the strengths of a player. Clutch players emerge when the defense is working to stop your strengths, and yet you still achieve. 

Funny. Literally googled his name and one of the first articles I found is this one 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article227461389.html

title of article states he was their most reliable Wr over his last 3 years there and then a direct quote from the article.... “What the cowboys will miss most in Beasley was his ability to make the clutch catch on third down.” 

but you do you..... and not be a fan of a #3wr on pace for over 1000. . That makes sense

5 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I guess what we have different definitions of clutch.

Over his career, 70% of his 1st downs have come when his team is behind. That should tell you plenty about where the stat you mentioned, comes into play. 

His team is down, the QB takes what the defense gives him, and they move the chains. That’s not clutch. 

I haven’t mentioned any other poster in this thread, but I’m glad you find your joke funny. 

Go Bills!

Any chance we could get a link to that 70% stat? I’m interested on where I could get access to info like that. Would come in handy. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

8 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Sounds like we have different definitions of clutch then.  I think one of the points is....if a guy's strengths aren't being utilitzed in the playbook, hard to tell if he has 'em or not.

This is a nice write up about some of the stuff Daboll is doing with Beasley this year, if anyone is interested.  It requires a subscription but there's a free trial

https://www.cover1.net/bills-offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-giving-josh-allen-more-answers/

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Funny. Literally googled his name and one of the first articles I found is this one 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article227461389.html

title of article states he was their most reliable Wr over his last 3 years there and the a direct quote from the article.... “What the cowboys will miss most in Beasley was his ability to make the clutch catch on third down.” 

but you do you..... and not be a fan of a #3wr on pace for over 1000. . That makes sense

I mean, ok. One article mentioned in a throwaway line, that he was clutch on 3rd down.

So yeah, I guess you’re right. My opinion is no longer valid.

Thank you for setting the record straight. 

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

title of article states he was their most reliable Wr over his last 3 years there and then a direct quote from the article.... “What the cowboys will miss most in Beasley was his ability to make the clutch catch on third down.” 

Any chance we could get a link to that 70% stat? I’m interested on where I could get access to info like that. Would come in handy. 

https://www.nfl.com/players/cole-beasley/stats/situational

Under point differential. 

6 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I mean, ok. One article mentioned in a throwaway line, that he was clutch on 3rd down.

So yeah, I guess you’re right. My opinion is no longer valid.

Thank you for setting the record straight. 

That literally took me 10 seconds to find. That’s the point. I didn’t have to dig. 

Literally articles about him leaving and his clutch catches. But ya, “throwaway line”..... or just a matter of facts. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sounds like we have different definitions of clutch then.  I think one of the points is....if a guy's strengths aren't being utilitzed in the playbook, hard to tell if he has 'em or not.

This is a nice write up about some of the stuff Daboll is doing with Beasley this year, if anyone is interested.  It requires a subscription but there's a free trial

https://www.cover1.net/bills-offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-giving-josh-allen-more-answers/

The other day someone here posted something about Beasley trying to incorporate more Run N Shoot concepts. If it works, fantastic. Whatever a coach can do to get the most production out of their players, I’m all for it. 

But truly clutch players make plays, no matter the scheme in front of them. Good players, especially process guys, get better with good coaching. If that’s what’s happening with Beasley, I’m all for it. 

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well you would make the 3rd person that has said they have a different definition of clutch next to his. 

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

That literally took me 10 seconds to find. That’s the point. I didn’t have to dig. 

Literally articles about him leaving and his clutch catches. But ya, “throwaway line”..... or just a matter of facts. 

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/01/dallas-cowboys-cole-beasley-quotes-week-17-giants-dak-prescott/

“Cowboys wide receiver Cole Beasley was the team’s leading pass-catcher in 2016. He’s become a forgotten man at times, with fans wondering if the free agent will be back with the team in 2019.”

Ahhhh yes, it’s always the clutch players that are forgotten. 

This has been entertaining, but it’s time for bed. 

Go Bills.  

He's playing great this season, and he is very important for our offense. I love the play from Beasley.

It will be great to get John Brown back in the mix.

Our WR unit is fantastic. The immediate impact from Gabriel Davis has been a great surprise. He does not look like a rookie.

Diggs, Brown, Beasley & Davis have been the best WR unit this team has had in a long time.