Why does McDermott clap so much?

Cal

It's kind of frustrating seeing him always clapping and rarely firing up the players. He was even clapping after a missed field goal. If we keep playing they way we are, we may make the playoffs but won't compete.

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

It's kind of frustrating seeing him always clapping and rarely firing up the players. 

Why do fans think it's the coaches job to fire up players?

It's not the WWF....

1 minute ago, Sammyboy said:

Who cares. He can pick his nose if he wins games 

• Haha (+1) 9

Just now, Simon said:

It's not the WWF....

Hate to nit pick but wrestling hasn’t been called WWF for like 20+ years lol. Something about the world wildlife fund owning the name etc etc etc 😂😂😂😂

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Hate to nit pick but wrestling hasn’t been called WWF for like 20+ years lol. Something about the world wildlife fund owning the name etc etc etc 😂😂😂😂

I'm getting older every year :lol:

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Simon said:

It's not the WWF....

This is an odd statement.  It's the coach's job to do whatever helps his team win.  That includes holding effective meetings and practices, building a good culture, intelligent game-planning and play-calling... and firing players up.

I get these guys are well payed and should motivate themselves.  But listening to players talk over the years (I've been a Bills for 50 years now), it's clear that some players are not good at getting themselves fired up.  

Incidentally, you should read up on the "Pygmalion Effect."  In short, it says that when an authority figure (say a teacher or coach) shows belief in someone, they tend to perform better.  McD with his clapping and encouragements keeps sending the message: I believe in you.  It's a good message.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

We are seriously stretching the new thread thing with this though. Of all the things to talk about this clapping thing gets waaaaaaay to much air time. He’s just putting out a positive vibe to the players. Of all the things to be annoyed by this shouldn’t be on the list.