Why the defense got it's mojo back

Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I love when McDermott puts his insight into the defense.  Frazier and McDermott have two different beliefs Frazier does not believe in blitzing at all he believes in the Defensive line.  McDermott believes in bringing the blitz and shaking things up lining his linebackers down over the center to cause the offensive line to wonder who is coming and it works.

When you start seeing that inside corner blitz you know the defense is confident. Love see safeties and corners get after the qb. We disguise it really well imo

I don't know...

The 3rd & long thing hasn't been an area of success for this team all year. 

In fact, when I see the team is 3rd & 8 or 3rd & 15, it almost feels like a foregone conclusion they'll get an easy look downfield and convert. 

"Pressure packages" implies we can get pressure. That's usually not the case unfortunately.

Hughes coming to life was a good sign. We're still getting blown off the line though and it's leading to clock killing drives like the one Jets had mid first into the second where we turned them over on downs. It puts too much pressure on the offense to score. 

2 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

I think the Bill's D is figuring it out.  I am still pretty confident the Bills will figure out the run defense and the elite Bills offense again once Brown gets healthy and can get back to stretching the field.

Call me crazy but I still think the Bills we saw early in the season will return and I still believe they can win the Super Bowl.  

I dunno about the Super Bowl.  Our Defense has to figure a lot out for me to even dream about that.

As far as our offense, we're in the middle of the Football Chess Match.  We started the season with "Make him be a QB" being the mantra against Josh.  Blanket the middle where he was deadly accurate last year, and force him to throw deep against man coverage.

After 4 games it was obvious the answer to that was a little nod and smile and a bunch of deep completions.

So now it's been figured out that the Bills are struggling like anything to run the ball, Josh has been reluctant to run it, so if teams can take away the deep ball and play a soft zone, Josh struggles because his "Brett Favre says Touchdowns First, Coach!" mentality just does NOT want to take the checkdown.  Teams are betting on Josh's personality to push the ball into tight coverage and make mistakes. 

Once Josh shows he will be patient and accurately take what they give him, things will change again. 

I couldn't believe it when I saw that our TE and RB had actually been targetted 13 of 41 passes and caught 10 of 30 the completed passes today. 

I literally screamed YEAH!   Because that's what Josh has to do right now.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billznut said:

The Bills have given up TONS of 3rd and long conversions this season. They are one of the worst 3rd down defenses this year. The reason the defense looked good today is because we were playing the Jets. Don’t kid yourself into thinking it was anything other than that. We haven’t stopped any other offense this year. 

This.  The Jets are the only team in the NFL south of 100 total points scored, coming in at a whopping 85 points, or 12 points per game. Period. End of story.

4 hours ago, Billznut said:

The Bills have given up TONS of 3rd and long conversions this season. They are one of the worst 3rd down defenses this year. The reason the defense looked good today is because we were playing the Jets. Don’t kid yourself into thinking it was anything other than that. We haven’t stopped any other offense this year. 

Yep^. And on top of it, they still gave up a 3rd and 20 conversion against the jets today lol.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The second half it seemed that the defense was clicking on all cylinders. So what's the difference between that and the last few weeks?

Down and distance

When our defense is consistently in second and 3 or Third and short . It really limits what you call defensively

McDermott's and Frasier's pressure packages and exotic schemes can't get called in those distances

Offenses have taken advantage of nickeling and diming us and getting us out of those packages

Today in the second half we got the Jets into second and third and long. Which allowed McDermott and Frasier to get our pressure packages and disguises on the field

We've been stuck in 2 and 4 so much that we had little of those opportunities this year that they really haven't even had time to gel when they call those packages

Now it's only the Jets, but you can see why fraziers and mcdermotts pressure packages and disguises are very good. We bottle the quarterback up in the pocket, and swallow them up as a whole unit

McDermotts scheme doesn't scheme up one pass rusher, it schemes up the whole unit as a whole to collapse the pocket and engulf the quarterback. In the second half the defenses overloads and green dogs confused darnold and had him seeing ghost's

This is definitely something you could carry over into next week

100% agree, great post.  More aggressive on 1st down, translated to many more 2nd/3rd downs with longer to go and improved recognition of run/pass.

I think it might have been the Dallas Thanksgiving game last year when Romo made this exact comment during the game (Bills are aggressive early in downs so that they can keep everything in front of them on 3rd down & rally to the ball).

Not sure why we haven't been doing this all season.  But I'm glad 2nd half we might have found our identity again.  Yes, against the Jets, but nonetheless, something to build off of

2 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I love when McDermott puts his insight into the defense.  Frazier and McDermott have two different beliefs Frazier does not believe in blitzing at all he believes in the Defensive line.  McDermott believes in bringing the blitz and shaking things up lining his linebackers down over the center to cause the offensive line to wonder who is coming and it works.

McD does not, as a rule, bring the blitz in the scheme and Frazier's calls mirror that.  If you see more blitzing, it's because the front 4 is not generating necessary pressure.  

And the reason McD demands the front 4 get pressure is so that he can force throws into the Cover-4, Cover-3, or Cover-2.    

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/it-all-starts-with-the-front-four-for-sean-mcdermott-and-leslie-frazier/article_0526c65a-eece-11ea-820d-a7be0097eaed.html

McD would not have hired Frazier if their defensive philosophy differed on this point so dramatically. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McD does not, as a rule, bring the blitz in the scheme and Frazier's calls mirror that.  If you see more blitzing, it's because the front 4 is not generating necessary pressure.  

And the reason McD demands the front 4 get pressure is so that he can force throws into the Cover-4, Cover-3, or Cover-2.    

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/it-all-starts-with-the-front-four-for-sean-mcdermott-and-leslie-frazier/article_0526c65a-eece-11ea-820d-a7be0097eaed.html

McD would not have hired Frazier if their defensive philosophy differed on this point so dramatically. 

They may have relied on the defensive line being the most vital cog to the defense but this year they dont have that and now have to adjust their scheme to our current players strengths......the cover 3 and cover 4 should no longer be our base defense.....we must attack and blitz and disguise coverages by moving around pre snap and threatening to blitz etc etc......if we are going to make a deep playoff run coach McDermott must adjust our defensive identity he has stubbornly held on to the first 6 1/2 weeks.....Release the hounds!

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

They may have relied on the defensive line being the most vital cog to the defense but this year they dont have that and now have to adjust their scheme to our current players strengths......the cover 3 and cover 4 should no longer be our base defense.....we must attack and blitz and disguise coverages by moving around pre snap and threatening to blitz etc etc......if we are going to make a deep playoff run coach McDermott must adjust our defensive identity he has stubbornly held on to the first 6 1/2 weeks.....Release the hounds!

Give McDermott a call and tell him to change a defensive philosophy he's had for years.  Maybe a zebra can change their spots while we're at it. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The second half it seemed that the defense was clicking on all cylinders. So what's the difference between that and the last few weeks?

Down and distance

When our defense is consistently in second and 3 or Third and short . It really limits what you call defensively

McDermott's and Frasier's pressure packages and exotic schemes can't get called in those distances

Offenses have taken advantage of nickeling and diming us and getting us out of those packages

Today in the second half we got the Jets into second and third and long. Which allowed McDermott and Frasier to get our pressure packages and disguises on the field

We've been stuck in 2 and 4 so much that we had little of those opportunities this year that they really haven't even had time to gel when they call those packages

Now it's only the Jets, but you can see why fraziers and mcdermotts pressure packages and disguises are very good. We bottle the quarterback up in the pocket, and swallow them up as a whole unit

McDermotts scheme doesn't scheme up one pass rusher, it schemes up the whole unit as a whole to collapse the pocket and engulf the quarterback. In the second half the defenses overloads and green dogs confused darnold and had him seeing ghost's

This is definitely something you could carry over into next week

I'll take your word on this, but it does beg the question, what did the Bills do differently that allowed them to limit the yardage they gave up to the Jets on first down.  The Jets got first down yardage in huge chunks in the first quarter.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

I'll take your word on this, but it does beg the question, what did the Bills do differently that allowed them to limit the yardage they gave up to the Jets on first down.  The Jets got first down yardage in huge chunks in the first quarter.

Obviously the Jets abandoning the run helped

And the first quarter was by far their most successful quarter

As they became more predictable, it allowed McDermott and Frazier to get them in the downs and distances that they like

And draw up some of the combo coverages that they like to play.. which they seem to have gotten away from for some reason in the first 6 weeks this season

McDermott and Frazier have always been good at confusing quarterbacks on third down but has gotten away from it a bit this year

Yes, it's the Jets, but also, yes it's the Patriots. Anybody actually looked at their roster this year? Just gross. I'll take what I saw in the second half and hope it carries over against another BAD team next week while this defense continues to heal. Most of our defensive anchors are young outside of Hughes. Good reps against bad opponents isn't a bad thing and shouldn't be dismissed. Defense won it today.

Edited by Nelius

18 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yes, it's the Jets, but also, yes it's the Patriots. Anybody actually looked at their roster this year? Just gross. I'll take what I saw in the second half and hope it carries over against another BAD team next week while this defense continues to heal. Most of our defensive anchors are young outside of Hughes. Good reps against bad opponents isn't a bad thing and shouldn't be dismissed. Defense won it today.

Exactly

It's crazy how people act like the Jets are an actual college football team. Being one of the 32 is one of the most privileged things in any sport

And every player is fighting for their job. I will guarantee the Jets will beat another NFL team this season

They played hard for 13 minutes. And the bills took over,  we just didn't put the ball in the endzone