Why the defense got it's mojo back

Buffalo716

Bunch of terrible penalty calls against us today, from Tre getting a PI for touching his receiver’s hem; Hyde’s HUGE hit that was all shoulder & legit; their OL holding so many times. On the Hughes INT to end it, Jefferson? (#90, it was) managed to tip the ball even though his man had a COMPLETE FISTful of his jersey.

Defenses aren’t being allowed to defend anymore.

12 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Shhhhh. Joeinwinslow and friends might hear you. You can't say bad things about the Bills. Its Homer all the time just like Homer radio on WGR. 

No it's anti-doomerism which is very refreshing. 

31 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

People saying "it's just the jets" are missing the point. 

We started disguising coverages, crowding the line of scrimmage with 7 or 8 guys, blitzing with Poyer or Johnson, shooting the gaps on run plays. 

THAT'S what we've been looking for; it just happened to click against the Jets. Now, let's do it next week. 

I hope that is our mojo then going forward. I liked what I seen today regardless if it's the Jets or not. I want to see our D take calculated risks to try and make a big play.

Pressure flat out works.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The second half it seemed that the defense was clicking on all cylinders. So what's the difference between that and the last few weeks?

Down and distance

When our defense is consistently in second and 3 or Third and short . It really limits what you call defensively

McDermott's and Frasier's pressure packages and exotic schemes can't get called in those distances

Offenses have taken advantage of nickeling and diming us and getting us out of those packages

Today in the second half we got the Jets into second and third and long. Which allowed McDermott and Frasier to get our pressure packages and disguises on the field

We've been stuck in 2 and 4 so much that we had little of those opportunities this year that they really haven't even had time to gel when they call those packages

Now it's only the Jets, but you can see why fraziers and mcdermotts pressure packages and disguises are very good. We bottle the quarterback up in the pocket, and swallow them up as a whole unit

McDermotts scheme doesn't scheme up one pass rusher, it schemes up the whole unit as a whole to collapse the pocket and engulf the quarterback. In the second half the defenses overloads and green dogs confused darnold and had him seeing ghost's

This is definitely something you could carry over into next week

Honestly I don't think that has much to do with it. Bills have been terrible on 3rd down and ANY distance this year. I mean the Jets converted a 3rd and 20 earlier. KC converted a 3rd and 12. Teams have been converting 3rd and 10+ against us all year long.

I think they started bringing pressure and that caused some confusion on the OLine blocking schemes which allowed the DLine to get free. Why did it take them 6.5 games to realize this might work better than what they have been trying and failing with for the first 6.5 games??

19 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Honestly I don't think that has much to do with it. Bills have been terrible on 3rd down and ANY distance this year. I mean the Jets converted a 3rd and 20 earlier. KC converted a 3rd and 12. Teams have been converting 3rd and 10+ against us all year long.

I think they started bringing pressure and that caused some confusion on the OLine blocking schemes which allowed the DLine to get free. Why did it take them 6.5 games to realize this might work better than what they have been trying and failing with for the first 6.5 games??

They got back to their MO on 3rd down which is showing dual a gap looks on third down.. playing combination coverages and overload blitzes

The first 6 weeks when we've been getting gaseds on 3rd and 15, and even in the first quarter verse the jets we've been playing basic cover four or cover 2 

Which is not what Sean McDermott and Frasier have been doing successfully here

I love when McDermott puts his insight into the defense.  Frazier and McDermott have two different beliefs Frazier does not believe in blitzing at all he believes in the Defensive line.  McDermott believes in bringing the blitz and shaking things up lining his linebackers down over the center to cause the offensive line to wonder who is coming and it works.