Why the defense got it's mojo back

Buffalo716

They played the Jets and honestly I think that INT got them some confidence. I think they were also a bit tired and worn from the past two weeks so getting a rest to start the half and make some adjustments was key.

The defense was OK in the first half elite in the redzone and making big plays despite giving up a lot of yardage. But they came to play and knew what they had to do to close this game out. Hopefully this team can get far against a bad Pats team and run it up to 6-2 before they go to play a tough Seattle team. It also would be good to further bury NE in the division chase.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The second half it seemed that the defense was clicking on all cylinders. So what's the difference between that and the last few weeks?

Down and distance

When our defense is consistently in second and 3 or Third and short . It really limits what you call defensively

McDermott's and Frasier's pressure packages and exotic schemes can't get called in those distances

Offenses have taken advantage of nickeling and diming us and getting us out of those packages

Today in the second half we got the Jets into second and third and long. Which allowed McDermott and Frasier to get our pressure packages and disguises on the field

We've been stuck in 2 and 4 so much that we had little of those opportunities this year that they really haven't even had time to gel when they call those packages

Now it's only the Jets, but you can see why fraziers and mcdermotts pressure packages and disguises are very good. We bottle the quarterback up in the pocket, and swallow them up as a whole unit

McDermotts scheme doesn't scheme up one pass rusher, it schemes up the whole unit as a whole to collapse the pocket and engulf the quarterback. In the second half the defenses overloads and green dogs confused darnold and had him seeing ghost's

This is definitely something you could carry over into next week

Why did the defense get its mojo back?

We played the New Jersey minor league football team is how.

• Like (+1) 1

I would say - we did not get our Mojo back. We played different packages and assignments that took away the middle of the field which has been taken advantage of recently. My football terminology isn't fantastic, but we also employed the equivalent to a QB spy on the RBs - although it was more of a pass off the assignment pending what was being shown.

That single adjustment allowed us to play something similar to 5 on the line - while keeping it fluid enough to cover stuff out of the backfield / plug up gaps at the LoS instead of just beyond with for pull blocks / and have a pursuit on anything being bounced outside. We actually got a sack on a play where the assignment changed to watching the TE for a delay release - when the TE stayed in the block, the person changed his angle and got the sack. 

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You do realize one of the definitions of mojo, is just to have an exceptional ability, good luck or success

The Bill's defense definitely had their best success in the season in the second half. It Doesn't have to be a year long thing, today it clicked

Sometimes success breeds success.  All these guys are incredible athletes.  Sometimes what it takes to beat the man across from you is believing you can do it

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sometimes success breeds success.  All these guys are incredible athletes.  Sometimes what it takes to beat the man across from you is believing you can do it

Exactly 

It doesn't matter who the Bills beat . It matters that they get some confidence back , and start playing instead of thinking

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sometimes the homer glasses make things look better. 

16 minutes ago, McBean said:

Why did the defense get its mojo back?

We played the New Jersey minor league football team is how.

We played them in the first half too.....and the minor league football team dominated our D for the most part.  Then Darnold threw a terrible pick and the game was over for them on O

People saying "it's just the jets" are missing the point. 

We started disguising coverages, crowding the line of scrimmage with 7 or 8 guys, blitzing with Poyer or Johnson, shooting the gaps on run plays. 

THAT'S what we've been looking for; it just happened to click against the Jets. Now, let's do it next week. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jerry Hughes. The one series in the third quarter, the Bills worst quarter by far this year, he made a play on every play of that series, ending with a strip sack. Then he followed that up with a monster fourth with a pick to seal it. We don’t win this game without Jerry Hughes. Finally showed up and I don’t care if it’s the Jets. He plays like that, Bills defense will be getting off the field more. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bill's D is figuring it out.  I am still pretty confident the Bills will figure out the run defense and the elite Bills offense again once Brown gets healthy and can get back to stretching the field.

Call me crazy but I still think the Bills we saw early in the season will return and I still believe they can win the Super Bowl.  

Edited by FUTURIST

1 minute ago, DDCC said:

Are you serious.  We are a bad football team and will get smoked unless the trade goes through

Shhhhh. Joeinwinslow and friends might hear you. You can't say bad things about the Bills. Its Homer all the time just like Homer radio on WGR.