Why the defense got it's mojo back

Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Mojo back????  We won't really know until after the Pat's game if this D has started to figure it out.  It's not even appropriate to base it on 1 game versus a 0-6 jets team.

Welcome to the board. People are very unrealistic here. Just enjoy the win and ignore  the glaring fact that they beat one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL. Also, don’t speak even remotely negative about Matt Milano. That offends people

Edited by Brennan Huff
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Toyo321 said:

Mojo back????  We won't really know until after the Pat's game if this D has started to figure it out.  It's not even appropriate to base it on 1 game versus a 0-6 jets team.

You do realize one of the definitions of mojo, is just to have an exceptional ability, good luck or success

The Bill's defense definitely had their best success in the season in the second half. It Doesn't have to be a year long thing, today it clicked

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

Welcome to the board. People are very unrealistic here. Just enjoy the win and ignore  the glaring fact that they beat one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL. Also, don’t speak even remotely negative about Matt Milano. That offends people

I don't think anybody is ignoring we beat the Jets. But holding any professional quarterback to 5 yards passing and a half is really good

I don't care who you are, that is a successful second half

Probably not a popular take but we got our mojo back because we played the Jets. The same issues we've had all year were still there. But it turns out you can blitz Darnold a ton and he doesn't know how to handle it. Hopefully this game gives them some confidence back but they are still going to be a below average unit this season.

Edit: After reading the thread this is a very popular take, carry on.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Haha (+1) 1

Literally some Bills fans don't deserve a winning team lol

We won because our kicker kicked six field goals and people want him cut. We held an NFL offense to five passing yards in a half and people are trashing our performance defensively

There are only 32 NFL teams in the world and the Jets are one of them, and I'd be willing to bet they don't go 0-16. They're going to beat another NFL team

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think anybody is ignoring we beat the Jets. But holding any professional quarterback to 5 yards passing and a half is really good

I don't care who you are, that is a successful second half

The defense played great. I’m just not ready to say that they’re “back” yet

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We held an NFL offense to five passing yards in a half and people are trashing our performance defensively

Not trashing the defense, just saying it's hard to judge anything against a historically bad offense like the Jets have. Darnold is one of the worst QBs I have ever seen against the blitz. We all out blitzed him a ton and got free stops because of it. That strategy isn't going to work against QBs that have a clue what they're doing or offenses that can run the ball. The LBs were still a big problem today, I'm not going to ignore that gaping hole because we shut down an awful roster with awful coaching.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Not trashing the defense, just saying it's hard to judge anything against a historically bad offense like the Jets have. Darnold is one of the worst QBs I have ever seen against the blitz. We all out blitzed him a ton and got free stops because of it. That strategy isn't going to work against QBs that have a clue what they're doing or offenses that can run the ball. The LBs were still a big problem today, I'm not going to ignore that gaping hole because we shut down an awful roster with awful coaching.

Exactly. The issue is too many homers are just happy to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

The defense played great. I’m just not ready to say that they’re “back” yet

Again I don't think I said they are arrived for the season. Or that everything is fixed. There's a long way to go

On this singular day, they had their groove back. Especially in the second half.

The Jets best drive of the day was in the first quarter and they were desperate. But the Bills absolutely had their best performance all season

I don't care who it came against it's an NFL team, and it's something to build on which is key

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

That doesn’t really answer why it got better though... they did something to start winning on early downs which allowed them to succeed on later downs. Either the Jets imploded, or we did something drastic to fix our issues.

Frazier finally brought the heat on early downs

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said

But I know that every player in the league is talented, and they're all playing for their future. And on any Sunday any team could win

This was the opposite of a game the Bills lost for the last 20 years. We would go up 10-0 and then sputter out for the last three quarters

We're finally the team taking charge when the game matters

I played flanker in high school a few decades ago.  I recall one particularly productive game.  I scored a long TD on a pass play - taking a short slant across the middle to the house.  I added 2 more long TDs on end- runs.  I even blocked a punt!  

I was a shining star that game.  Too bad it was just a scrimmage against our own woeful JV squad.  I never achieved anything like that in a real game.  

Opposition matters.  

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

That doesn’t really answer why it got better though... they did something to start winning on early downs which allowed them to succeed on later downs. Either the Jets imploded, or we did something drastic to fix our issues.

based on past history this season, I’d lean toward Jets implosion. 

While I don’t think our defense is “fixed”, we did look like an entirely different defense in the 2nd half.  

did McD take over play calling?  Sure looked like it to me.  There’s been very few times, this season, where I’ve seen us like up 7-8 guys at the LOS to disguise our pass rush/blitz packages.  I think I saw it more times today than I had all season combined.  

• Like (+1) 4