Why the defense got it's mojo back

Buffalo716

The second half it seemed that the defense was clicking on all cylinders. So what's the difference between that and the last few weeks?

Down and distance

When our defense is consistently in second and 3 or Third and short . It really limits what you call defensively

McDermott's and Frasier's pressure packages and exotic schemes can't get called in those distances

Offenses have taken advantage of nickeling and diming us and getting us out of those packages

Today in the second half we got the Jets into second and third and long. Which allowed McDermott and Frasier to get our pressure packages and disguises on the field

We've been stuck in 2 and 4 so much that we had little of those opportunities this year that they really haven't even had time to gel when they call those packages

Now it's only the Jets, but you can see why fraziers and mcdermotts pressure packages and disguises are very good. We bottle the quarterback up in the pocket, and swallow them up as a whole unit

McDermotts scheme doesn't scheme up one pass rusher, it schemes up the whole unit as a whole to collapse the pocket and engulf the quarterback. In the second half the defenses overloads and green dogs confused darnold and had him seeing ghost's

This is definitely something you could carry over into next week

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Bills have given up TONS of 3rd and long conversions this season. They are one of the worst 3rd down defenses this year. The reason the defense looked good today is because we were playing the Jets. Don’t kid yourself into thinking it was anything other than that. We haven’t stopped any other offense this year. 

• Like (+1) 32
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Billznut said:

The Bills have given up TONS of 3rd and long conversions this season. They are one of the worst 3rd down defenses this year. The reason the defense looked good today is because we were playing the Jets. Don’t kid yourself into thinking it was anything other than that. We haven’t stopped any other offense this year. 

The bills the first few weeks got away from their dual a gap looks and exotic 3rd and long schemes

Early in the season they just went to a basic cover 4 which is too simple for the NFL

Today you saw his dual a gap disguises a lot more

I absolutely agree that it's definitely a big factor in being able to call what you want and pressure offenses.

But the last couple weeks they had willingly foregone those opportunities when they had them. Sometimes when they get hit with a big play on the wrong blitz call they get gun-shy and start playing it too conservative.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

That doesn’t really answer why it got better though... they did something to start winning on early downs which allowed them to succeed on later downs. Either the Jets imploded, or we did something drastic to fix our issues.

the jets are really bad. I’m not sure there is more to take away from that. 

wouldn't even watch the film 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

That doesn’t really answer why it got better though... they did something to start winning on early downs which allowed them to succeed on later downs. Either the Jets imploded, or we did something drastic to fix our issues.

Our defense isn't built for second and 4

The last three years we've been the number one three and out team in the league.

McDermott thrives on second and 7 plus , so he can use his combination coverages and disguises

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

The bills the first few weeks got away from their dual a gap looks and exotic 3rd and long schemes

Early in the season they just went to a basic cover 4 which is too simple for the NFL

Today you saw his dual a gap disguises a lot more

They played better obviously. Let’s see how they do against decent to good offenses coming up before we think anything has been fixed. I’ll believe it when I see it against a good team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Billznut said:

They played better obviously. Let’s see how they do against decent to good offenses coming up before we think anything has been fixed. I’ll believe it when I see it against a good team. 

Well that's why I said it's only the Jets

But their scheme and play calling was a lot closer to what we seen the last few years, compared to the last few weeks

It's definitely progress

• Like (+1) 2

The Dolphins are a better team than we think but it's true that the Jets are awful.

The level of agression we have seen today is what the Bills defense is all about. I would of liked seeing this against the Chiefs on third and long last week.

19 minutes ago, unclepete said:

This team was shut out by the Dolphins. Let's not get carried away

Holding any professional quarterback to like five passing yards in a half, is an accomplishment

Every player on the Jets is playing for their future in the NFL

Just now, Brennan Huff said:

Let’s not crown the defense just yet. You guys know the jets are 0-6 right? The team is in shambles. I’m not taking anything away from the defense but let’s pump the breaks a little bit

I mean I don't think I crowned anything. They got their mojo back in the second half versus the Jets

It doesn't guarantee a future of success, but you need to start somewhere

• Like (+1) 5

44 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Probably a little of both.  

Throw in the Gase factor and we score 6 unanswered FGs to win