Daboll and the state of the Bills

To beat soft zones you throw underneath and get YAC. For that to happen Josh has to give up on a big gain EARLY in the rep because the ball has to come out quickly. It goes against everything in him but he's starting to understand why it's necessary.

Mahomes has gone through this to an extent this season too, but he's Mahomes and he's ahead in his development and quick to adapt so it's not quite as pronounced, but the teams that gave him trouble played soft coverage starting with the Chargers playing Seattle Cover 3 and then others copied/adapted the Chargers film. Bills/Chiefs was a battle of two teams with the same game plan, they each knew they'd face soft zones and each tried to run but KC was better able to execute against our poor front seven effort.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I will say it will be more apparent once we get the coaches film

but that is not how you usually attack that defense...and we are a top passing offense going against a very bad Jets pass defense

I could be wrong but I think they play more Cover-1 or 3 than Cover-2, as long as the corner sits on the flat the corner post is open.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I could be wrong but I think they play more Cover-1 or 3 than Cover-2, as long as the corner sits on the flat the corner post is open.

I was seeing a lot of cover2 from Jets today but again will wait for someone to look at coaches film 

The jet sweep with McKenzie got absolutely blown up and murdered a drive. And... I’m not against them but you need to run it with someone else too. In the KC game with the weather I was screaming for some with McK and Diggs just as a way to actually get the ball in their hands but nothing; Josh was trying for dimes. Daboll’s creativity and any sense of balance just isn’t there. Need to do something different with each opponent and he doesn’t.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I cant believe im doing this thread again, as i did it for Hackett years ago when i supported him fully, but it was clear to see he didn't get better and needed to go.

So to with Dabol who is creative with the passing game ,which i really do appreciate, but he is lot like Chan Gailey in that he always wants to pass and neglects the run. I know this is a passing league but you still have to run and stop the run, which leads to the next problem.

I dont know who sold McDermott on small ball but it is a fatal mistake that has and will haunt this team all season. I still believe McDermott is the right coach for this team but he forgot what he always preaches in being a tough physical team that sticks to the fundamentals.

Beane made a huge mistake in letting too many defenders go, not keeping a fullback and still has never had a quality offensive line since he has been here. I'm not sure Beane will do it this year like he did the past few years but he needs to scour the waiver wire for some size at DT like he did with Jordan Phillips and Corey Liuget, so the rest of the defense can make plays like they have the 3 previous years. Also letting Hauschka go when you thought we were going deep into the playoffs was a bad move. Rookie kickers are rarely great and take a few years to get consistent, not something you want when we had championship aspirations.

What needs to happen this offseason is Daboll needs to go because he will always want to pass as that is just who he is. Loved when Greg Roman was here but doubt we can get him back but what we need is someone who is committed to balance and is creative in the run and passing game.

Im not a fan of our conservative defense philosophy ,but it can work as long as the tackles can do there job.

Beane need to get size AND talent on both sides of the line, get a fullback who can block and catch or run, get better at linebacker , another top corner and back 7 depth.  and find new scouts for offensive line because we haven't hit any homeruns there as the only ok players are the center and LT.

McDermott needs to get back to the process and trust it .

I'd think if a team is passing almost every play, when they do run the ball would surprise the defense and result in good solid gains, however that doesn't seem to be the case.

So if when only running infrequently doesn't work well and passing is working, why run more? 

I get it normally teams run more, but with the WR group this team has and Allens arm, passing isn't a bad idea.

How many defenders that played a fairly large role did Beane let go besides Phillips and Lawson? Lorax retired and Starr and  Gaines opted out  Am I missing anyone?

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

You friggin stats guys are ridiculous.

Did you see us scoring touchdowns, how about running the ball?? No, i didnt think so. The jets are trash and we should have rolled them up but we barely made it out of there.

Stop now please.  You overestimate this roster.   But they problem solved at halftime, switched to the run and added pitch and pass and started bringing 5 and 6 on D and crunched them in the 2nd half.   No NFL team is trash.   Anyone can beat anyone every week.  W/L records tell only a piece of the story.   Bills should have lost to the Rams, everyone with a brain knows that.  If not for Josh Normans strip, they could have very easily lost the Raiders game.   What about the Phins game, who was trash in that game prior to Davis' miracle catch?   

Jets got a bunch of talented guys back for this game and they made a difference.   Don't underestimate any opponent from week to week.  Every week stands on its own and records don't mean much any given week.  

As BB says, you are what your record says you are.  Bills are 5-2.  Works for me.  

• Like (+1) 1

When you have 3 very good WR's and a promising rookie you pass the football. When your O-line is poor at run blocking but good at pass blocking you pass the football. When your QB is having his best passing season and starting to show signs of breaking out you pass the football. Please just keep passing the football. 

Daboll has been better this year. However we have a lot of talent on offense and a QB playing at a top 10 level this season. There's no reason we should be regressing as bad as we have the last 3 weeks. Allen needs to be better at beating zone coverages but so does Daboll. If teams are going to take away the deep field we need to kill them with screens and short passes. Today in the 2nd half I think Daboll finally realized this, hopefully it continues. As far as red zone struggles today I thought that was more player execution than play calling.

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The RPO out of shotgun takes too long to develop, and yeah its easy to sit above and see the whole field and know Moss can get that, but when your players are standing in the trenches needing to make a split second decision, its not so easy.  It was just a dumb call to start a run 5 yards behind the LOS on a delay through a RPO with 3rd and 1.  

Thats my biggest issue with Daboll.  He tries way too much trickery, and tries to run too much like that.  There are times in the game you need to be men and just go get the yard and try and finesse the yard.  We have a wrecking ball at QB which should have been the call.  

bro, i am now able to call out ahead of time if a play called (almost always on 3rd down or in the red zone) is going to fail or not because it takes too long to develop.

the timing of the play call vs a given D formation and down and distance is the art of calling plays IMO, execution, prep, and deep understanding of what the D is weak to is the science.  the higher the stakes get, the worse at the former dabo gets.  early in games he gets teams fooled, and on first down, or 3rd and passing (in general) this O has had some good success, but you can just feel the O get tight because they have simply too high of a degree of difficulty built into the play call.

the trickery part of it might even be worse.  i swear dabo read the "advanced stats" goofery that said that play action works no matter how well you have been running the ball.  what that fails to take into account is play action works only if you can fool the D into thinking you might actually run it.  formation and down and distance can really tip the d off, so you still need to fool the D, so it needs to look like a play where you have run or should run out of.  that double fake screen which was supposed to be a TE screen over the gut was the dumbest thing around.  we weren't killing them on screens enough to fake it one way, let alone two, and our screens tend to be a touch slower w the back further out, not the NE stuff where the DE or LB comes crashing at the QB and only then does the ball get passed (they also get away w illegal man downfield all the time, but i digress).  and of course we got called for illegal man and the play had no chance.

we did that inside the like 20 or 25, when the jets are in a zone with no room to work.  we have so much success out of 4 or 5 wide that A) we should keep doing it and B) we aren't setting up any real tendencies for a double fake reverse or screen so it makes those much harder trick plays even dumber.  

i do give him credit for not stinking as bad as usual in the 3rd, and he actually called some decent run plays, but he pays no mind to setting the O up with a few bread and butter formations and personal groups where we can play advantage and get the D going the wrong way when we need to. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, PIZ said:

I thought Daboll was going to Houston and we were all worried about who would replace him?

Catch up... don’t you know that if you don’t blow out teams you should be fired? What’s the matter with you?

17 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

It’s all my fault.. I changed my avatar to a Josh Allen picture and we’ve been on a slide ever since.. 

You should be banned from this board and your Bills fan card must be relinquished immediately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

that double fake screen which was supposed to be a TE screen over the gut was the dumbest thing around. 

Not only was it a pointless call, but the design of the play makes no sense at all.

You show that fake to both sides and all you've actually accomplished is holding the defenders right in the middle of the field, which is exactly where your primary read is. What the hell is the point in that?

You want that to work then you should show those two fakes, take a quick look at the middle and then throw it to whichever side you had shown the first fake.

That guy is going to be standing out on the edge all by himself.