Daboll and the state of the Bills

I cant believe im doing this thread again, as i did it for Hackett years ago when i supported him fully, but it was clear to see he didn't get better and needed to go.

So to with Dabol who is creative with the passing game ,which i really do appreciate, but he is lot like Chan Gailey in that he always wants to pass and neglects the run. I know this is a passing league but you still have to run and stop the run, which leads to the next problem.

I dont know who sold McDermott on small ball but it is a fatal mistake that has and will haunt this team all season. I still believe McDermott is the right coach for this team but he forgot what he always preaches in being a tough physical team that sticks to the fundamentals.

Beane made a huge mistake in letting too many defenders go, not keeping a fullback and still has never had a quality offensive line since he has been here. I'm not sure Beane will do it this year like he did the past few years but he needs to scour the waiver wire for some size at DT like he did with Jordan Phillips and Corey Liuget, so the rest of the defense can make plays like they have the 3 previous years. Also letting Hauschka go when you thought we were going deep into the playoffs was a bad move. Rookie kickers are rarely great and take a few years to get consistent, not something you want when we had championship aspirations.

What needs to happen this offseason is Daboll needs to go because he will always want to pass as that is just who he is. Loved when Greg Roman was here but doubt we can get him back but what we need is someone who is committed to balance and is creative in the run and passing game.

Im not a fan of our conservative defense philosophy ,but it can work as long as the tackles can do there job.

Beane need to get size AND talent on both sides of the line, get a fullback who can block and catch or run, get better at linebacker , another top corner and back 7 depth.  and find new scouts for offensive line because we haven't hit any homeruns there as the only ok players are the center and LT.

McDermott needs to get back to the process and trust it .

• Haha (+1) 2

400+ yards offense today.  Please stop.  Daboll is fine.   Geez.   

Gotta throw and defend the pass to win the SB in this league now.   Run and stop the run like its 1973 looks nice and makes you feel like a man, until you play the top 5 teams , then you get steamrollered by big time, efficient passing games led by great passers and encouraged by today's rules.  

Again,  400+ yards offense , none in garbage time.   Nuf said.  Move on.   

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Last year, everyone was complaining because Daboll was too conservative and not throwing enough.

The last three games everyone is complaining because Daboll is throwing too much.

The problem (as it usually is) is not with coaching.  It's with our players not performing.

Coming into the season, the story on Josh Allen was that he couldn't hit the deep ball.  So over the first 3-4 games, defenses dared him to beat them over the top.  And Allen responded by putting up MVP-like numbers with the deep ball.  At the same time, the Bills were struggling to establish any kind of running game.  

What we have seen recently, is opposing defenses adjusting to our success throwing the ball deep.  Similar to what WE did against the Chiefs, they are leaving open the check-downs and daring us to run the ball consistently.  Against the Titans and Chiefs, Allen was not patient enough to take the check-downs.  Instead, he tried forcing the ball down the field into coverage.  Thankfully, Allen did a better job of this today.  But we STILL haven't really established a running game.  And it's one of the main reasons we also struggled in the Red Zone.

Simply put.  Our run blocking has been atrocious this year.  This is not on Daboll.  This is mostly on our interior line/guards, who are not getting any kind of push.  Hopefully this changes when we get back Jon Feliciano.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Gotta throw and defend the pass to win the SB in this league now.   Run and stop the run like its 1973 looks nice and makes you feel like a man, until you play the top 5 teams , then you get steamrollered by big time, efficient passing games led by great passers and encouraged by today's rules.  

Agree the problem is not coaching.

But the most successful teams are not one-dimensional. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

So I didn't love all the playcalling today. The McKenzie pop pass that was snuffed out was a bad call.... but I struggle to blame him for Davis not lining up correctly and Tyler Kroft tripping over Daniel Jones's laces.

They lack speed.  Probably the slowest running back tandem in the league.  Moss in open space looked like he was running in quicksand.  They really do need a speed back and/or a seam-stretching tight end.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

They lack speed.  Probably the slowest running back tandem in the league.  Moss in open space looked like he was running in quicksand.  They really do need a speed back and/or a seam-stretching tight end.

Yep. I did say this about the backs before we drafted them. Think they are both good #2s. 

54 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I cant believe im doing this thread again, as i did it for Hackett years ago when i supported him fully, but it was clear to see he didn't get better and needed to go.

So to with Dabol who is creative with the passing game ,which i really do appreciate, but he is lot like Chan Gailey in that he always wants to pass and neglects the run. I know this is a passing league but you still have to run and stop the run, which leads to the next problem.

I dont know who sold McDermott on small ball but it is a fatal mistake that has and will haunt this team all season. I still believe McDermott is the right coach for this team but he forgot what he always preaches in being a tough physical team that sticks to the fundamentals.

Beane made a huge mistake in letting too many defenders go, not keeping a fullback and still has never had a quality offensive line since he has been here. I'm not sure Beane will do it this year like he did the past few years but he needs to scour the waiver wire for some size at DT like he did with Jordan Phillips and Corey Liuget, so the rest of the defense can make plays like they have the 3 previous years. Also letting Hauschka go when you thought we were going deep into the playoffs was a bad move. Rookie kickers are rarely great and take a few years to get consistent, not something you want when we had championship aspirations.

What needs to happen this offseason is Daboll needs to go because he will always want to pass as that is just who he is. Loved when Greg Roman was here but doubt we can get him back but what we need is someone who is committed to balance and is creative in the run and passing game.

Im not a fan of our conservative defense philosophy ,but it can work as long as the tackles can do there job.

Beane need to get size AND talent on both sides of the line, get a fullback who can block and catch or run, get better at linebacker , another top corner and back 7 depth.  and find new scouts for offensive line because we haven't hit any homeruns there as the only ok players are the center and LT.

McDermott needs to get back to the process and trust it .

I think it might be helpful to look at some of the videos/scheme breakdowns folks have put up

The bottom line is a run game depends upon blocking, and we aren't delivering what it needs right now

Daboll is shielding the team by taking it on his shoulders "I need to design better plays" "I need to call better plays"

He and Dorsey need to work with Josh on checking to a run at the right time

But until we can block better, it isn't gonna work too well

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, mjt328 said:

Agree the problem is not coaching.

But the most successful teams are not one-dimensional. 

ran for 100, threw for 300, works for me.  I'd take that just about every game.   The Davis and Kroft throws were money.   The pitchouts to WRs to open the run game was money from the coaches.

Josh was sharp today.  

The Bills never punted today.

Yes, they needed to do a better job in the red zone, clearly. But when your punter never enters the game, it means your offense did a good job moving the ball.

It's simple: Defenses are playing soft deep zones and daring the Bills to beat them underneath and through the running game. That's what defenses do against good QBs and good passing offenses. It's what teams do to Patrick Mahomes. Think about that: Teams are now defending the Bills offense the same way that they defend Mahomes and the Chiefs offense. In order to defeat that and force teams out of their zones, the Bills need to be able to run the ball and complete underneath passes. They haven't been able to do so with any consistency until this week. 

The ONLY bone of contention I have with Daboll is that he's too quick to abandon the run at times. Then again, seeing how poorly the Bills ran the ball when they DID try to do so the first six weeks, I sort of can't blame him.

Teams used to blitz Allen and play man. He learned to beat that and did so with regularity the first four weeks. Now teams are taking a different path, and little by little, Allen is adapting. It's hard, though, without a run game. Even Mahomes still struggles at times when teams drop eight against him.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, ProcessTruster said:

ran for 100, threw for 300, works for me.  I'd take that just about every game.   The Davis and Kroft throws were money.   The pitchouts to WRs to open the run game was money from the coaches.

Josh was sharp today.  

Only ran for 100 because of Allen.

We don't need to be the Titans.  But at some point, we need to establish a semi-successful running game with our RBs.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yes, they needed to do a better job in the red zone, clearly. But when your punter never enters the game, it means your offense did a good job moving the ball.

It's simple: Defenses are playing soft deep zones and daring the Bills to beat them underneath and through the running game. That's what defenses do against good QBs and good passing offenses. It's what teams do to Patrick Mahomes. Think about that: Teams are now defending the Bills offense the same way that they defend Mahomes and the Chiefs offense. In order to defeat that and force teams out of their zones, the Bills need to be able to run the ball and complete underneath passes. They haven't been able to do so with any consistency until this week. 

The ONLY bone of contention I have with Daboll is that he's too quick to abandon the run at times. Then again, seeing how poorly the Bills ran the ball when they DID try to do so the first six weeks, I sort of can't blame him.

Teams used to blitz Allen and play man. He learned to beat that and did so with regularity the first four weeks. Now teams are taking a different path, and little by little, Allen is adapting. It's hard, though, without a run game. Even Mahomes still struggles at times when teams drop eight against him.

yep they are totally zoning him now to take away both 1) his scrambles and 2) all the crossing routes.   the Raiders were so dumb to play man and they shredded them with the crossing routes -- that is all gone now.   

He is adapting.   

6 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Only ran for 100 because of Allen.

We don't need to be the Titans.  But at some point, we need to establish a semi-successful running game with our RBs.

RPO and zone read IS a fundamental part of the Bills (and Ravens) offense.  Is what it is.  I like it.  Josh is a part of the Bills run game .   they tried to get LeVeon Bell, didn't work.  Beane is trying. 

Edited by ProcessTruster

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it might be helpful to look at some of the videos/scheme breakdowns folks have put up

The bottom line is a run game depends upon blocking, and we aren't delivering what it needs right now

Daboll is shielding the team by taking it on his shoulders "I need to design better plays" "I need to call better plays"

He and Dorsey need to work with Josh on checking to a run at the right time

But until we can block better, it isn't gonna work too well

I already stated we need better lineman and a fullback but we will never get better at running if we dont try it. Also trying to run out of 4 wide on a consistent basis. Daboll tried to pass a lot last year until McDermott reigned him in.

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I guess Bills fans can rest easy that Dabaoll won't be getting a HC job next season.

Could be out the door.

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Imagine how Mahomes would have done had the Chiefs not run for 800 yards against the Bills!  

Yeah, you HAVE to be able to run the ball to be successful in the NFL.  Pure passing teams get yards and points but always lose to well balanced teams.  

Singletary is not the answer at RB.  He certainly has a place but is not an everydown RB.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

You friggin stats guys are ridiculous.

Did you see us scoring touchdowns, how about running the ball?? No, i didnt think so. The jets are trash and we should have rolled them up but we barely made it out of there.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

You friggin stats guys are ridiculous.

Did you see us scoring touchdowns, how about running the ball?? No, i didnt think so. The jets are trash and we should have rolled them up but we barely made it out of there.

I saw two playcalls that were touchdowns and players blew with execution. Davis and Kroft.

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The run game actually had a little bit of life today.

Cmon dude, a Allen shouldn't be our primary option, singletary and moss had a couple of runs, that doesnt constitute a solid running game.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I saw two playcalls that were touchdowns and players blew with execution. Davis and Kroft.

Thats nice, still doesnt make up for not being able to run.