PostGame Thread Bills @Jets.

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

My guess is that some people have the rare ability to actually analyze the game and not just look at the box score.

If you look at the box score I would think you’d be encouraged by the stats alone. 

1 hour ago, Jaraxxus said:

Ah, the negativity after a win. Like a warm blanket.

Ah the lack of any substance in a homer’s defensive post. Do you have anything specific to say about the team’s play? Or you just don’t want anyone’s feeling hurt?

6 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Yes, I do, sunshine.

The offense dominated TOP and yardage, and but for a stumble and a bad rookie mistake would have added a bunch more points to the tally. The defense looked MUCH better as well.

and. most importantly, IT WAS A BLOODY WIN. TRY AND ENJOY IT FOR A CHANGE.

I promise, it won't hurt.

Don’t worry so much about other poster’s “negativity” All of your posts have been about fan reaction to the game. 

If you simply add to the conversation with insight about the team’s play and counter-arguments that aren’t simply “stop being negative” then maybe you’ll enjoy the board more. 

As for me I’m glad they won of course. The game reminded me of the Dolphin’s game last year following the bye week. They came out flat and turned it around by the end.

I just heard the Jets have trailed for about 6 minutes all season before this game. 

I couldn’t care less about run defense to be honest, but they can’t give up the long 3rd down conversions once they get the other team behind the sticks like that. (3rd and 20 conversion). It happens far too often 

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Dane Jackson IMO is the CB2 going forward. 

We did and it was called back from a Phantom Illegal formation penalty. 

And Tyler Croft was tripped by a line on the field.

15 hours ago, Groin said:

Second half D adjusted, and that was great.  Josh did well.  Something is missing without Smoke.  Running game seems to almost literally trip itself up at times.  Bass concerns me because when the lights get brighter at end of season (or during postseason) as I expect them to, he's a total wildcard in my estimation.

Have you watched other kickers this year? 

15 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

5-2 means absolutely nothing 

this team hasn’t had a good game since week 4. New England will embarrass us next week. Can’t believe how some Bills fans are still optimistic after today 

Did you see the New England/Niners game??? Seahawks, Cards, Steelers, Niners, yeah likely loses. But the Patriots right now?? Lay off the bath salts.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Listening to WFAN's Joe and Evan recap this game should be amusing later today.

I read last week that joe is retiring soon and Craig Carton is coming back to WFAN and taking his place next to Evan. He’s been in jail for gambling fraud or something. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I read last week that joe is retiring soon and Craig Carton is coming back to WFAN and taking his place next to Evan. He’s been in jail for gambling fraud or something. 

Yes. I heard the same thing.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't see this linked here.  Pretty decent and balanced take from Cover1.

https://www.cover1.net/top-three-takeaways-buffalo-bills-new-york-jets/

(Allen) had two completions that should have been touchdowns, the aforementioned illegal formation penalty and another one to Tyler Kroft, which the TE could have brought to the house if he didn’t lose his balance.  Despite the win and the good performance, Allen continues to look unsatisfied with himself. You can see it in his body language, and he again mentioned frequently in the post-game press “needing to play better than this”. There’s nothing wrong with being hard on yourself in chasing greatness, but Allen can’t let it affect his performances.

(...)

After the half, the Bills’ QB was more patient and made them pay, hitting Cole Beasley, Tyler Kroft, Devin Singletary, and Diggs in holes between the short and intermediate area defenders. That’s actually one of Allen’s strengths — being very accurate on these throws where his receivers show him their numbers and he can just rip it with his cannon arm.

If Allen consistently takes what defenses give to him, then he will be very difficult to stop, no matter the opponent. That’s how well he has developed technique-wise. Now he needs get there mentally, and it also would be good to see his teammates being more vocal about helping him out more. He can’t put too much pressure on his own shoulders.

I said yesterday that we need Allen to not be out there thinking that he has to win the game all by himself...

...even though he has to win the game all by himself most of the time 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

Thoughts:

1. Josh was generally patient, allowing the coverage to dictate his choices and not trying to force the ball downfield. The Titans and Chiefs played zone and tried to frustrate Josh and I think they did, overall, force him to wait and take what the Defense gave him. This is another aspect of maturity for Josh: don't think about what YOU want, but what the team needs each play and take what the Defense gives you. Sometimes it will be big shots down field and sometimes it will be a 5 yard out route. 

2. The team was flat. Flat in emotion. Flat in execution. Flat......until the Jackson INT. That sparked something - and we can call it momentum but it felt larger than that - which I hope continues. The Defense started to focus, play heated with some fire in their legs and the Offense started to put the pieces together as well. IMHO, the two biggest issues for the Titans and the Chiefs was the "flatness" of their affect. They were sleepwalking through most of the first quarter and then the INT. 

3. Special Teams was obviously huge for this game. Roberts was an unsung hero in keeping the Bills right at the line of flirting with disaster and able to overcome it. Bearing in mind at one point in the 2nd Quarter it was 10-0....

4. Bass. Patience is needed for our fan base that want every kick made every time. Yes, we all do. But let's keep in mind this is a Rookie with no Pre-Season in one of, if not THE, weirdest NFL seasons every played. Patience folks. We have a young man that could very well kick a 70 yd field goal indoors and maybe a 50 yarder into some of these Buffalo winds once he matures a bit. Also keep in mind, if you find a great kicker and he's young like Bass, IF and that's a big IF, he can work through it - you've got a kicker for maybe 15 to 20 years. That's a long time to not have to think about the carousel of Kickers that have come through Buffalo since Christie.

5. Running game finally brought some balance in the 2nd half. Much needed and long overdue. Moss needs more touches and earlier in the game, and we need to keep it going. A balanced Offense is what this team needs to keep winning especially against the upcoming teams.

6. Offensive Line without Ford and Mongo, is a concern. Winters is "meh" and Boetteger (sp?) is "ok", but I would love to see Nsekhe in a Guard position because he did quite well last year at Tackle and has played Guard throughout his career. Bright spot overall for the line was both Dawkins and Williams. 

Here's to hoping this will spark an improved Defense, balanced Offense, and more Wins against better teams.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I said yesterday that we need Allen to not be out there thinking that he has to win the game all by himself...

...even though he has to win the game all by himself most of the time 😂

Think first half he definitely got a bit into "I have to force it to my guy Diggs, we need a play and he is my guy." I just don't think he played very well first half, but credit to him whatever he did at half time worked because he played a very good second half.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Allen is pressing to put a lot of points on the board based on what he sees from the defense. With John Brown out, opposing defenses are doubling Diggs. Allen needs to learn to come off Diggs and look for Beasley or a RB and stop pressing to get chunk plays. Got to live with dink and dunk. If you dump off to the running back or hit the short intermediate routes the LBs won’t be able to fall into the deeper zones. Which, it looked like he did in the 2nd half and there were 2 long TD plays that were there.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think Allen is pressing to put a lot of points on the board based on what he sees from the defense. With John Brown out, opposing defenses are doubling Diggs. Allen needs to learn to come off Diggs and look for Beasley or a RB and stop pressing to get chunk plays. Got to live with dink and dunk. If you dump off to the running back or hit the short intermediate routes the LBs won’t be able to fall into the deeper zones. Which, it looked like he did in the 2nd half and there were 2 long TD plays that were there.

I think he did look for Beasley

12 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Agree.  In last 3 games Allen is forcing it at first, and has more success when he has more patience

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree.  In last 3 games Allen is forcing it at first, and has more success when he has more patience

And it seems like it takes him a few series to realise it. I’m sure Daboll has plays called with big chunk plays Built in them and Allen looks for Diggs because he’s his guy. 

Hopefully with the 2nd half performance of the defense, they can keep it up and Josh can develop the patience.