Pay Milano and move him to MLB (offseason)

The two most important players on this defense are Tre White and Matt Milano. IMO, they were the 2 biggest keys to this franchise’s 2017 turnaround. It has become a thought that Milano will leave once his rookie deal is up. I’m here to suggest, we pay him and move him to MLB. Make this guy the Kuechly of the Bills. The difference Milano makes in our defense is immeasurable. Paired with the struggles of our current MLB....I say, pay Milano and make him a career Bill. When it comes time, you let Edmunds go. Build the defense around 27 + 58. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The two most important players on this defense are Tre White and Matt Milano. IMO, they were the 2 biggest keys to this franchise’s 2017 turnaround. It has become a thought that Milano will leave once his rookie deal is up. I’m here to suggest, we pay him and move him to MLB. Make this guy the Kuechly of the Bills. The difference Milano makes in our defense is immeasurable. Paired with the struggles of our current MLB....I say, pay Milano and make him a career Bill. When it comes time, you let Edmunds go. Build the defense around 27 + 58. Go Bills!

Why not find a real MLB?  Milano would get swallowed up faster than a wing on Sam Adams' plate.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Your two step plan has one good step and one bad step. 

Milano in the middle of the field would get washed out even worse than Edmunds does. 

Agree, but any Mike needs the DL to keep them free of OLs.   We're not doing that well this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think Edmunds was as good as people hyped him up for this offseason but he also isn't as bad as people are making him seem right now.  The defense has some warts right now and I believe the run game is because of line play more than LB play.  Milano can make up for some of it by his attacking nature

Just now, MJS said:

Milano is already small for his current position. As a MLB he'd be WAY undersized.

Not as much for a Mcdermott defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

He's not the thumper that's needed at the MLB position. As mentioned, he'd get washed out of plays. Plus you think he's injury prone now? What til he's asked to absorb MORE contact attacking the LOS. 

Personally I don't think he gets retained, at least not to a lucrative contract. He just can't stay healthy.

I think Lorenzo Alexander said there isn't much difference in this scheme between MLB and OLB.. just that MLB calls the pre-snap reads etc.   I'd pay Milano, let Edmunds walk when his contract is up if his play hasn't substantially improved by then, and look for a replacement MLB.  

Edited by Adam727

10 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I don't think Edmunds was as good as people hyped him up for this offseason but he also isn't as bad as people are making him seem right now.  The defense has some warts right now and I believe the run game is because of line play more than LB play.  Milano can make up for some of it by his attacking nature

Not as much for a Mcdermott defense.

Lets see how he can play with a healthy shoulder, likely won't happen though until next season.  IMO he'll be needing off season surgery to repair.

17 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I half agree...but we definitely need to let Edmunds walk...what he will be looking for will become a serious detriment to the team if paid...His soft, low IQ play is NOT what I want leading this D...

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Milano is good buy not great LB,  misses a lot of tackles and is a very good guy in coverage.  Depends what your prepared to pay him,  not worth anything more than 8-10 million

22 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Your two step plan has one good step and one bad step. 

Milano in the middle of the field would get washed out even worse than Edmunds does. 

I would not be against resigning him,  i would be against paying him too much because he has some major flaws in his game.  No more than 8-10 million or move on and look to upgrade the position.

29 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

no way Milano would work at MLB 

I think Milano and Edmunds would be a better fit for a 3-4 ILB. If we stay in a 4-3 both should be moved to OLB. Milano is better at hitting the correct gap but neither has the tackling ability to stone wall the person running through the gap. I am hoping that we transition to a 3-4 base defense in the off-season. Belicheat goes both ways, why can’t McD.

I'm just gonna post this everytime someone says Edmunds or Milano should switch positions.

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

Milano is already small for his current position. As a MLB he'd be WAY undersized.

34 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Take a look through this thread. Milano lines up in the middle all the time and does fine.