Why Did You Become a Buffalo Bills Fan?

JohnNord

The 1st game of American football I ever watched on Russian TV was Super bowl Dallas-Buffalo. And announcer said that Buffalo Bills were the only team in history of all major sports who played 4 consecutive finals and lost all of them. 
I could imagine the feelings of players and fans of the team and began to wish them to win it finally. 

• Like (+1) 3

Because they were on TV so much when I was young.....Not.

I think the only games that were televised were road games when I was a kid thanks to the local blackout rule.

Thats why so many Ontarians cheer for the Jets Pats and Fins as they were always on TV in this market.

I watched the Buffalo TV news/sports on Channels 2 , 4 and 22 to get highlights of the Bills

It was OJ  the Electric Company and Joe The Throw Ferguson that got me hooked.

22 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m curious to know why everyone here became a Bills fan and why....

For me, I knew of the Bills as the local football team but never really paid much attention.  Members of my family were Bills fans because they were local but they didn’t follow the team closely.   The first year I remember paying attention was in 1988 after the big win versus NYJ to capture the AFCE championship.   I also remember the home playoff game against Houston.  

There was definitely a “buzz” around Buffalo around 1988.  It’s the first time I remember seeing a lot of Bills merchandise in stores at the mall - which would increase in subsequent years.  For some reason I didn’t follow as much during 1989, but as soon as the team went on a roll in 1990 I started following and never looked back.   I’ve watched almost every game since then.

After the 4 straight Super Bowl appearances, I remember thinking I wonder what it’s like to NOT finish a season going to the Super Bowl?  Sadly, I’d find out many times!!!!  But win or lose, I’ll probably always follow this franchise.  Just like a Josh Allen game, the good times more than outweigh the bad ones!

I tell people I was born into it.  You don’t pick being a Bills fan, it’s a birthmark. Comes right on your birth certificate.  

• Like (+1) 1

My dad. He's been a lifelong Bills fan and passed it on to me.

Grew up in Rochester and would go to 1-2 games every year. Had season tix for the 2008 season when we started 5-1 w/Trent then fell apart.

Lived through some awful seasons. I think the first season I rooted for them was 1997 (I was 5). I vaguely remember Todd Collins and beating the Dolphins 9-6 one game.

1973, went to the regular season opener against Jets...my first "big league" game in any sport.  Never forget walking into Rich and seeing the...ahem... bright green AstroTurf.

Bills won that game without scoring a touchdown, 9-7, on the strength of three John Leypoldt (RIP) field goals.

I was born in Bristol Conn. Grew up in south florida Fort Lauderdale and when I was about 8 one of my neighbors asked me to be the ring bearer at there wedding which i did. After his honeymoon he said I am going to take you to a Bills game in Miami but you have to root for the Bills I was like ok whatever had no team I liked or anything.Half time were loosing I went to use restroom and this big guy told me to lower my new Bills pendent and pee on it. I was like stunned by this and the Bills came back and won!!! I have not missed a Bills game on TV or in person since that day and I am 46. I have zero ties to Buffalo but love the city and my team!!!!

1965 - my dad and one of my uncles took me to a game at the Rock Pile.  I remember is my dad being concerned about whether the car would be where we parked it (which was someone's house) after the game.  That was it.  I mean, really, if you're born and raised in Buffalo (or other small market towns) what are the chances you're not a Bills fan?  Assuming you like pro football.  

On 10/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, JohnNord said:

So every Bills fan is from Buffalo?  I don’t think that’s true.  Also there are plenty of fans from Buffalo that aren’t Bills fans.  I’m curious to know why people are fans and why they’ve stuck with the team

Kelly, Thurman and Bruce were my favorite players.  And still probably are to this day

No, every Bills fan is not from Buffalo, but I always assume they are.

I can't imagine why someone not from Buffalo would choose to follow this team.

Maybe if you were young and impressionable when we were going to the Super Bowl each year...and our exciting, fast paced offense  captured your imagination.  I can see that kid out there somewhere in America becoming a Bills fan.

But the window on that opened and closed in no more than a 5 year period of time, all time.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:24 AM, JohnNord said:

I’m curious to know why everyone here became a Bills fan and why....

In 1991, I was in the Navy, stationed in Norfolk, VA.  At the time, I was a very casual football fan.  Kind of liked the Browns, but that was really just because my best buddy in high school was a Broncos fan and there was a rivalry.

Fast forward to the Bills/Giants Super Bowl.  I was at a friend's house and I figured, "hey .. there's two NY (kind of) teams playing, so I'm gonna flip a coin. If it lands heads, I'm rooting for Buffalo.  Tails - I root for the Giants.  And from this point forward, I will stick with that team forever."

Heads it was.  And here I am.

• Like (+1) 1

Born into it,  at times I told my parents I should bring them up on child abuse charges :)

First game Rich Stadium:  Oct, 20th 1974,   Bills 30,  Pats 28  

Witnessed a fight,  a lady hitting a guy with her purse for picking on her kid who was a Pats fan, and a drunk literally being carried out,  if I recall he brought in a gallon jug of screwdrivers in a milk jug.

Following the Bills is the common thread we have.     GO BILLS!!!!

Edited by grog

My family moved from Dallas to OP in 1974.  I never looked back, though the Cowboys remained my 2nd favorite team until they screwed over Tom Landry.  We lived several miles from Rich Stadium and if the wind was blowing just right could hear the announcer sporadically while in the back yard.  Like others in previous posts, I listened to Van Miller call the games on the radio when the games weren't televised.

My dad had tickets to a Sabres game the day of the Gary Marangi game against the Dolphins.  We listened to the game on the radio on the way to the Aud and I remember the crowd groaning when the Sabres' announcer relayed the final score of the game.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

Growing up as a kid in late 70s early 80s in Hornell. I was 6 years old and remember my father watching a Bills game against the Jets. Asked him who the team in Red White and Blue was and he said the Buffalo Bills. I said that's my team. And for 40 years since I have suffered! Lol. Its a sickness ill never got over at this point, and dont want to, frankly speaking. 

Edited by Mailman

It wasn’t until I moved away that I realized some people actually pick teams to root for. Being born in Buffalo into a family of die hard Bills fans from the AFL days I just assumed that’s how everyone became a fan of their teams. As I tell everyone, when you are from Buffalo it’s not a choice it’s in your blood. I have a couple other college teams I follow that I have some link to (UB, Syracuse) but nothing like the emotional attachment to the Bills and less so the Sabres. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Growing up in Toronto, I was a CFL fan, until about 1970, when my favourite QB, who easily could of played in the NFL- retired.

For the NFL, I had the choices normally of the Packers, Giants & Browns on TV. Late game, if there was one, was invariably the Rayyyydars! Never, ever saw the Bills. Was a yuuuge Packers fan through their Super Bowls, but realized I’d never see them.

Married an American. So, in the 70s, grabbed a friend and went t see the Bills... lose and lose. In the 80s, I got the crazy idea to be a Season Tix holder. Did so twice during Strike Years! Insert head banging symbol here. 

Then, in 1988, new friends asked whether I wanted in on 8 Season Tix- 4 being mine. Indeed! What a run we had! I attended 2 AFC Championships and XXV & XXVII and a couple of my buddies went to three.

Until the music died about 20 years later. Now, we go about once a year, due to multiple hassles, including significantly increased travel time, border security and the fact we are all at or approaching 70 now.

NO -30C AFC Championship cold for these bones, anymore.

I was born and raised in Southern Ontario. My dad was a fan and would head down to games with his buddies every year starting in the late 80’s. Because I wasn’t one of those jagoff kids who hates their fathers sports team, and because I was close with my dad and loved bonding over the Bills, I was hooked. My dad passed over 10 years ago and I have moved to the West Coast, but I am a lifer and will carry forth this tradition with my kids.