Why Did You Become a Buffalo Bills Fan?

JohnNord

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is my story as well.

I always assume this is the story of every Bills fan.

So every Bills fan is from Buffalo?  I don’t think that’s true.  Also there are plenty of fans from Buffalo that aren’t Bills fans.  I’m curious to know why people are fans and why they’ve stuck with the team

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

My bother had this on the wall. Guidance I guess. I was super young so when I seen him play I just stuck with the Bills

04AF3858-F11D-4D23-90A1-AF39C2152F47.jpeg

Kelly, Thurman and Bruce were my favorite players.  And still probably are to this day

I grew up playing hockey, as every good Canadian boy should.  I didn't start watching football until I was in University when I would watch it with my room mates.  I was completely hooked on the sport by the time I graduated, but hadn't really picked a team yet.

After graduation, I was broke and didn't want to pay for cable.  The Bills were the only team that I could watch for free every week, so I became addicted to this team.  I guess you could say the Bills were the only team I could afford.

Born into it in Buffalo.

First game was at the old War Memorial.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197109260buf.htm

There wasn't much about that game, a 29-14 loss to the Dolphins, to hook anyone on the Bills, but when you're a kid it doesn't take much. Dennis Shaw was my hero. Really.

The family moved out of Buffalo in the 1970s -- the darkest decade for the Rust Belt -- but to a city without an NFL team. So there was no competition.

It wasn't easy to follow the Bills in the pre-internet/Sunday afternoon and Monday night only games of the 1980s since we (for good reason) never got national TV. But I managed to hang in there until the Super Bowl years changed all that. Then Sunday Ticket made it easy ...

• Like (+1) 1

I think for me actually going to the first ever Monday night football game in the brand new Rich stadium made me a fan. It was also 1973 and the only NFL game I ever attended with my Mother.  It was against the KC Chiefs, Bills won and being in the Bills home game environment sealed the deal for me. That and the Batavia Party Zone endzone for many many games thereafter.

Before the Bills -yes, BEFORE them, I was a fan of the Buffalo Bisons hockey team. Loved going downtown with my Dad to War Memorial Auditorium. Then, when the Bills were formed, from that moment on. Ditto the Sabres a decade later and the Braves. 

I urinate on John Y. Browns’ grave.

31 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Born into it in Buffalo.

First game was at the old War Memorial.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197109260buf.htm

There wasn't much about that game, a 29-14 loss to the Dolphins, to hook anyone on the Bills, but when you're a kid it doesn't take much. Dennis Shaw was my hero. Really.

The family moved out of Buffalo in the 1970s -- the darkest decade for the Rust Belt -- but to a city without an NFL team. So there was no competition.

It wasn't easy to follow the Bills in the pre-internet/Sunday afternoon and Monday night only games of the 1980s since we (for good reason) never got national TV. But I managed to hang in there until the Super Bowl years changed all that. Then Sunday Ticket made it easy ...

I went to the next home game that year.  Bills got shut out by Baltimore Colts who put up a 40 burger!

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m curious to know why everyone here became a Bills fan and why....

For me, I knew of the Bills as the local football team but never really paid much attention.  Members of my family were Bills fans because they were local but they didn’t follow the team closely.   The first year I remember paying attention was in 1988 after the big win versus NYJ to capture the AFCE championship.   I also remember the home playoff game against Houston.  

There was definitely a “buzz” around Buffalo around 1988.  It’s the first time I remember seeing a lot of Bills merchandise in stores at the mall - which would increase in subsequent years.  For some reason I didn’t follow as much during 1989, but as soon as the team went on a roll in 1990 I started following and never looked back.   I’ve watched almost every game since then.

After the 4 straight Super Bowl appearances, I remember thinking I wonder what it’s like to NOT finish a season going to the Super Bowl?  Sadly, I’d find out many times!!!!  But win or lose, I’ll probably always follow this franchise.  Just like a Josh Allen game, the good times more than outweigh the bad ones!

First game was on NBC watching Joe Ferguson and Joe Cribbs,  i think it was the year they had the Bermuda triangle defence.  Fred Smerlas/Nelson/ Jim Haslett

Edited by Niagara Dude

I've lived in California my whole life but my dad was born and raised in East Amherst. Im only 17 and I always followed them when I was younger if there was a game on but I wasn't a big fan yet. Id have soccer games every sunday morning and my dad would always watch from his car so he could listen to the bills game. My first year of being a big fan was the first year tyrod was the starter. Ive never looked back. There's now nothing in the world I'm more passionate about than the Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 1