Why Did You Become a Buffalo Bills Fan?

JohnNord

Something I was born into. My cognizant sports memories are of Dennis Shaw as QB for the Bills.  We shared a first name. Simple as that.  I suppose, had it not been for Shaw, I would  have been caught up in OJ-mania like every other kid I knew, a year or two later.    

Not much to add here. My own journey mirrors several here.

Grew up in Western NY, my parents weren't interested in sports, but I had a cool teacher who had pictures of the Sabres French connection and Bills memorabilia and would talk about the teams and I started following them and got hooked.

Probably even more so when my parents had to move to Jersey for work...was my only way of staying true to my roots.

This forum has helped too, although there were times it could get pretty dark and depressing during the drought.

Grew up in a family of Bills fans. Played backyard football with friends and family as a kid and when you're a kid, you gotta have your own thing, can't be some sheep falling in line and liking what everyone else likes. So, our little crew all picked teams we liked, for whatever reason. My brother picked the Giants because he liked Mark Bavaro, my cousin took the Falcons because he liked Andre Rison. Another friend went with the 49ers because they were winning all the time back then. Myself, I went with the Raiders because I thought silver and black was cool. And then 51-3 happened and I switched teams to the Bills, haha. I also had picked the Bengals the year before because of the orange and black. I look back at my childhood now and wonder how many decisions I made based on color lol. 

Edited by blacklabel

Watching games with my father and both grandfathers Sunday afternoons before supper, from the late 70’s until we moved from the Batavia area to Skaneateles.  

grad school in New England and years outside of Boston and never did my loyalty waiver-no matter the abuse. 

looking forward to giving these Pats fans the same “I pity you” stare they’ve been giving me the last few decades. 

Go Bills!

I stumbled across them playing a team from Houston in what was apparently the playoffs last year. I felt badly for all the Bills fans, so I joined up to support them emotionally. I am like an emotional support dog, with a high dose of Canine Chromosome 6. I am here for you all! 

.....or something like that. 

OK, maybe I go back a bit further, like the mid sixties. I’ve done this story too many years now, but grew up with kids whose dads’  were Bills players, had season tix in both Stadiums. The Bills have tied several generations of my family together. It’s not just the team, it’s a bond with my family and the Bills community. 

My grandfather worked for the Bills in the 70’s and 80’s. I was born in 1975. I was allowed into the locker room and on the field for practice as soon as I was old enough to walk. I never realized how special and unique that was till later in life. What a privilege. One of my very first memories was me walking into the living room and my dad saying ‘oh no Joe (Ferguson), don’t hang your head...well this one is over.’. That had to be 1978 or 1979 because we moved to Atlanta in 1979.

The Bills have been a part of my life since day one and will be till my last day. I just hope we win one Super Bowl before I go, so I can look up at the sky to my Grandfather and Father and smile with tears of joy. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I became a Bills fan because my Uncle is a huge Bills fan. I was 6 years old the year we went to the first Super Bowl which was the 92 season. The first game I ever remember watching was the no punt game. Seeing both offenses going back and forth, I just remember being entertained and just sitting on the floor and watching the game with my family. And being able to watch Kelly, Reed and Thomas on that explosive offense. I got hooked. Never looked back