Why Did You Become a Buffalo Bills Fan?

JohnNord

I’m curious to know why everyone here became a Bills fan and why....

For me, I knew of the Bills as the local football team but never really paid much attention.  Members of my family were Bills fans because they were local but they didn’t follow the team closely.   The first year I remember paying attention was in 1988 after the big win versus NYJ to capture the AFCE championship.   I also remember the home playoff game against Houston.  

There was definitely a “buzz” around Buffalo around 1988.  It’s the first time I remember seeing a lot of Bills merchandise in stores at the mall - which would increase in subsequent years.  For some reason I didn’t follow as much during 1989, but as soon as the team went on a roll in 1990 I started following and never looked back.   I’ve watched almost every game since then.

After the 4 straight Super Bowl appearances, I remember thinking I wonder what it’s like to NOT finish a season going to the Super Bowl?  Sadly, I’d find out many times!!!!  But win or lose, I’ll probably always follow this franchise.  Just like a Josh Allen game, the good times more than outweigh the bad ones!

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Playoff loss to the Browns in ‘89...As a 9 year old I thought the offense was very entertaining, even in defeat...little did I know it was a foreshadowing of things to come...😉

The Ronnie Harmon game!   If the Bills don’t go on a SB run the next few year, there’s a great chance that he becomes the “Bill Buckner” of Buffalo.  That drop is more of an after thought now 

16 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’m curious to know why everyone here became a Bills fan and why....

For me, I knew of the Bills as the local football team but never really paid much attention.  Members of my family were Bills fans because they were local but they didn’t follow the team closely.   The first year I remember paying attention was in 1988 after the big win versus NYJ to capture the AFCE championship.   I also remember the home playoff game against Houston.  

There was definitely a “buzz” around Buffalo around 1988.  It’s the first time I remember seeing a lot of Bills merchandise in stores at the mall - which would increase in subsequent years.  For some reason I didn’t follow as much during 1989, but as soon as the team went on a roll in 1990 I started following and never looked back.   I’ve watched almost every game since then.

After the 4 straight Super Bowl appearances, I remember thinking I wonder what it’s like to NOT finish a season going to the Super Bowl?  Sadly, I’d find out many times!!!!  But win or lose, I’ll probably always follow this franchise.  Just like a Josh Allen game, the good times more than outweigh the bad ones!

Born into it.  Born the same year as the team.  Grew up watching Bills with my Grandpa.  That was Our Thing, Sunday football.

Back in da Day before the Interweb family in B'lo used to send me VCR tapes of games. 

It wasn't hard to avoid the score because local and national media never covered us much.

I used to get the tapes and watch them Weds nite and scream my head off.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Well lets see....

My Grandpa's name was Bill.  My Dad's name was Bill.  They are both from Buffalo....and were huge Bills fans.

They are the Buffalo Bills of my family.... How could I possibly be a fan of any other team?

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

After writing novels in this same thread 20 times over the last 20 years, I’ll leave it short and sweet.

Grew up a block from Bills training camp in Fredonia. Pops dragged me to camp almost every day for a decade+ (holy **** was that boring for the most part).  Joe Cribbs put me on his shoulders his rookie year and carried me around as he signed autographs for the mob.  Then I got to watch Joe Cribbs play.  It was special.  Hooked

6 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

My cousin was drafted by the Bills and I started watching as I had someone I knew in the game.  Prior to that my impression of football was that it was akin to having cavemen run around trying to hide the meat from each other.  

When was your cousin drafted?

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

I am from Argentina.

The first American Football I ever see was the superbowl in miami.

I don´t know why but when the game finish I know I find my NFL team.

Since that day when the season start, I wake up every monday at 6 am just to see sport center (englih version) just to see the bills highligts (or lowlights most of the year).

With this formun and the chance to see the games on internet, I became a fanatic (even I can said a learn a lot of enghils reading your posts...).

One of my dream is to go to see a Game at the Ralph, and I think I will go in 2 or 3 year!!!!

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I went to the Bills training camp in Rochester pretty regularly as a kid, but I grew up a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan (short story there is a work friend of my dad's gave me a binder of football cards that basically covered every Bucs player ever and I just got attached to them from that). I'd root for the Bills whenever they weren't playing Tampa, but Tampa came first. It wasn't until I actually left Rochester that the Bills became my favorite team. When I moved down to the DC area, following the Bills became an easy way to stay connected to my family and I just gradually started caring more about Buffalo than Tampa.

• Like (+1) 1

I am from Cowboy country here in Texas.  My dad used to watch old cowboy and Indian movies and I grew to feel sorry for the buffalo who always seemed to get slaughtered in the mass.  Well, when I was 5 I saw the Bills on TV and saw they were the "Buffalo" bills....I loved their colors too...and so it began.  I am a die hard and have been through the 90s ups and 90s-2000s downs.  Surrounded by 90% cowboy fans is rough.  The boards have been helpful at boards.buffalobills were awesome and this place now has taken over. Thank you twobillsdrive!  I'd be all alone here without ya!

• Like (+1) 1

I am from Cowboy country here in Texas.  My dad used to watch old cowboy and Indian movies and I grew to feel sorry for the buffalo who always seemed to get slaughtered in the mass.  Well, when I was 5 I saw the Bills on TV and saw they were the "Buffalo" bills....I loved their colors too...and so it began.  I am a die hard and have been through the 90s ups and 90s-2000s downs.  Surrounded by 90% cowboy fans is rough.  The boards have been helpful, boards.buffalobills were awesome and this place now has taken over. Thank you twobillsdrive!  I'd be all alone here without ya!

Edited by TonyBeets