COVID hits the Bills: Knox tests positive; Smith, Sweeney and Becker all contacts

MAJBobby

21 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Ertz or Goedert time? Gesicki another option... Kittle would be real prize. Obviously Gronk won't come home with Brady still playing:cry: 

Also Rudolph should be another target

Realistically they really should do what they gotta do to get Engram, Ngokue, or Rudolph

• Thank you (+1) 1

A thinking coaching staff should have disaster players for this kind of position outbreak.  Having Duke Williams know the TE routes seems like that kind of thinking.  Not sure he could block much, but, until you try who knows.  He could do the receiver role, however.  I might have a tackle learn the position as well btw.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's a lot of close contacts for what's supposed to be a physically distanced meeting room and practices.  Since Kroft only missed one day and since Gilliam isn't on the list, I wonder if there was some kind of gathering outside the facility? 

Knox, Sweeney, and Becker all young unattached men.  Smith has talked before about how it's important to him that the TE on the Bills are all decent guys since they're hanging around his house "getting to know his daughters".  Wouldn't surprise me if Smith had a Thursday Night Football gathering at his home or something. 

Since Gilliam started out as a FB maybe he hangs with a different group off-field.

IMO Schefter's tweet does not make sense. 

First:  "where the virus passed" the virus hasn't passed (yet- hopefully never)!!!!  The other guys are ID'd as close contacts, not as infected, they just go back 24-48 hrs for whatever criteria the NFL uses to define "close contact".

Second, Gilliam is a TE and presumably at those same meetings, so why wouldn't he be a "close contact" if the TE meetings were the concern?

That said....Knox was already declared "out" for the game and DNP all week, Sweeney on PUP, and Becker a PS guy...Lee Smith has been active only 2 games and played 4 offensive snaps and 15 ST snaps....so for something to hit with "minimal" impact

Seems like Gilliam is mostly special teams so I assume maybe he was in a special teams meeting maybe?

2 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

A thinking coaching staff should have disaster players for this kind of position outbreak.  Having Duke Williams know the TE routes seems like that kind of thinking.  Not sure he could block much, but, until you try who knows.  He could do the receiver role, however.  I might have a tackle learn the position as well btw.

They motion Davis inside a lot to do this too.

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Ertz or Goedert time? Gesicki another option... Kittle would be real prize. Obviously Gronk won't come home with Brady still playing:cry: 

Also Rudolph should be another target

I'd take gesicki in a heartbeat. Never gonna happen though. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Well, let’s hope Knox gets well soon, and let’s hope the spread is contained. I guess we will see how well the Bills have been following protocols. I believe they have been. McDermott and Beane seem too smart not to be.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

4 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

How often are the Bills players getting tested for Covid? is a regular test or just if they suspect exposure or have symptoms?

Every NFL player, Every Day

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30023113/nfl-extends-daily-testing-covid-19-including-bye-weeks

It used to be every day but game day, but my understanding is they now test on game day as well.

If a player misses a test without team permission, $50k fine for the first missed test, suspension for the 2nd.

Except on game day, my understanding is they test the morning of one day, and the results come out at 4:30 am on the following day.  Positive tests are checked by rapid test in the facility and by priority re-test.

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

In CFL

https://www.bardown.com/cfl-defensive-back-immediately-regrets-challenging-duke-williams-1.1195401

And in game where he blocks for Beasley

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/2/24/21150189/2019-all-22-analysis-duke-williams-wide-receiver-buffalo-bills

I do not expect him to be an inline blocker, they will probably use an extra OL for that. Jordan Devey is a better run blocker than Ike Boettger.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

In CFL

https://www.bardown.com/cfl-defensive-back-immediately-regrets-challenging-duke-williams-1.1195401

And in game where he blocks for Beasley

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/2/24/21150189/2019-all-22-analysis-duke-williams-wide-receiver-buffalo-bills

I do not expect him to be an inline blocker, they will probably use an extra OL for that. Jordan Devey is a better run blocker than Ike Boettger.

Nice find in that 2nd link.  I note that while the author critiques him for a poor block in one clip (and it could have been better), he slowed the guy he was assigned to down until the ball was long gone

The other interesting point was that they used him to chip and then release, like a TE