Is Michael Thomas available?

aristocrat

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

he fought a teammate a week ago and was benched.    Now he isn’t playing the next week too ? 

somethings up, agree it’s not a need as we have 3-4 solid options.  

He injured his hamstring in practice.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

and if we traded for Thomas we’d call him a passionate leader because he would be our diva 

doesn’t make much sense for us and would be a tough pill for the saints... but they ate huge hits within a year of signing jimmy graham and junior gallette so it’s not without precedent 

The trade conversation is clearly unrealistic, but the hot takes about every diva WR around here is hilarious. There aren’t many people who wouldn’t welcome a great wideout on their team. Almost every elite WR in the league has been called a diva at some point. I suppose fans would prefer a bunch of mediocre nice guy receivers ? 

6 hours ago, Utah John said:

This is silly.  NO will never let him go, we already have three top receivers (maybe four), our salary cap is in good shape, we need help much more at other positions -- need I go on?

Payton: "not for all the Vicodin in their trainer's lockbox!"

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

he fought a teammate a week ago and was benched.    Now he isn’t playing the next week too ? 

somethings up, agree it’s not a need as we have 3-4 solid options.  

Dude got paid and his true colors came out guys a tool 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Utah John said:

This is silly.  NO will never let him go, we already have three top receivers (maybe four), our salary cap is in good shape, we need help much more at other positions -- need I go on?

No and Agreed!  There’s nothing cheap enough or worth it on defense or TE, and we only have $3.5 mil. left, and next year we are $2.5 mil. over if the cap drops to $175 mil.  Beane does not want to give up draft picks as cheap labor in a Covid cap year.

I think he is all used up.....a smallish WR with a million catches over a short span IMHO his body is broken.

14 hours ago, ColeB said:

He injured his hamstring in practice.

Like Spain injured his foot? ;)

If he(Thomas) really did it was probably running to avoid being beaten up by teammate ;)

No, he's not available. The Saints aren't going to take $27M in dead cap on the guy. 

But say he were, we still couldn't afford him. I mean, this year we could but next year we have $2.8M available under the cap, and that's even before we pay our rookie draftees. Do you really want Michael Thomas as a one-year rental who you gave up Johnm Brown and a first for? 

18 hours ago, NoSaint said:

and if we traded for Thomas we’d call him a passionate leader because he would be our diva 

doesn’t make much sense for us and would be a tough pill for the saints... but they ate huge hits within a year of signing jimmy graham and junior gallette so it’s not without precedent 

Remind me, when they ate the salary cap on Graham and Gallette, were they $82 mill ABOVE the salary cap as they are next year?

44 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Remind me, when they ate the salary cap on Graham and Gallette, were they $82 mill ABOVE the salary cap as they are next year?

I believe they were like $20m over going into that offseason. 

Between the two they ate $26m on a cap that was like 140m at the time (plus Grubbs and lofton added another 10 or so- it was dead money everywhere and this board kept telling me it was cause of Drew- eye roll.)

if you are slashing and burning and Drew is gone you might decide to just rip the bandaid and get high picks to get out from under the contract, avoid carrying the culture issues forward and get low priced talent in house down the line. 

im not saying it’s LIKELY but I am saying it wouldn’t be impossible or wildly out of character for them to look at. 

Edited by NoSaint