Bills trying out LBs

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

LORAX! He's probably 10 minutes down the road.

Seriously. I’d love him in the locker room right about now.  Even if just to put him on the PS or even just give him a playbook so he can learn the plays. 

The problem I see with bringing him back is he’d really only be able to backup Klein.  I’m not sure he would be able to play any DL atm.  He looked noticeably smaller the last time I saw him.  Can’t hurt, by the way things are going, Klein will be hurt soon too

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Metcalf was the 9th WR drafted and the last pick in  RD2. Please stop acting like he was a can’t miss prospect. All of the Ole Miss skill players had serious question marks because that offense was brutal despite having talent everywhere. 

Mario Addison has been one of the most consistent defensive ends over the last 4-5 seasons. He’s played better than Ngouke and wasn’t going to cost them $20mm with an extension. 

I totally disagree.  Metcalf was high rated in that draft and was very surprising he was even available in the second round.  I don't even remember anyone talking about Ford before the draft

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I totally disagree.  Metcalf was high rated in that draft and was very surprising he was even available in the second round.  I don't even remember anyone talking about Ford before the draft

So you’re going to disagree that Metcalf was the 9th receiver taken and last pick in the 2nd round... which shows what NFL GMs thought of him as opposed to blog writers. Primarily because he went viral in a photo on Twitter. Makes complete sense. 

Ford was talked about as a RD1/RD2 pick by those same websites, that’s not my argument, but if you want to rebuttal my Metcalf points and continue to dismiss Ford... I’ll just lock you up with your own logic. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Really?

Cody Ford was projected to be a mid-to-late 1st round pick.

3 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Time to get Panthers and Kuechly on the phone... conditional 7th next year

That's sarcasm right?

44 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I don’t know if Lorax can come back now and play right away.  I miss him a lot.  We need another LB that can cover and rush the passer.  Milano injuries are bad enough but we never replaced Lorenzo.  

I believe we thought we replaced at least part of Lorenzo with AJ Klein, but it hasn't worked out so far.

53 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

“High rated”.....by who?  Not by the nfl GMs.  The draft showed exactly how high he was rated.  

Ford was “high rated” according to the same people that had metcalf as “high rated”.

lol high rated 

25 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Really?

Cody Ford was projected to be a mid-to-late 1st round pick.

He was “high rated” just as often, if not more, than Metcalf 

Edited by NewEra

12 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Vosean Joseph and Corey Thompson are still available. Does anybody know what happened with them? Were they cut for being malcontents, or something?

I don't think Joseph was really catching on to the discipline McDermott's defensive scheme requires.  Put him on the field - expect mistakes.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

So you’re going to disagree that Metcalf was the 9th receiver taken and last pick in the 2nd round... which shows what NFL GMs thought of him as opposed to blog writers. Primarily because he went viral in a photo on Twitter. Makes complete sense. 

Ford was talked about as a RD1/RD2 pick by those same websites, that’s not my argument, but if you want to rebuttal my Metcalf points and continue to dismiss Ford... I’ll just lock you up with your own logic. 

What @Logic? That is wrong poster for logic.  Maybe Madden GM.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Yeah, that's what I mean, 10 minutes down the road from the PHX airport... Ha.

Sky Harbor is the name btw.

2 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

I think next man up at wr from the PS may be that guy we signed from GB(that Rodgers loved) not Duke

Duke activated for this game.....

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Markus Golden is a DE in this scheme, no?... not saying he wouldn’t have possibly added something as a rotational pass rusher but it doesn’t align to what the Bills are working out/their injury issue 

true dat. but i still think we shd have traded for him to try at DE.

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Metcalf was the 9th WR drafted and the last pick in  RD2. Please stop acting like he was a can’t miss prospect. All of the Ole Miss skill players had serious question marks because that offense was brutal despite having talent everywhere.  

No offense meant...But as an amateur scout for 30 plus years (most of them right here on TSW) I can promise you there were plenty of people standing on their soapbox's declaring DK Metcalf a can't miss prospect. And I was one of them... Basically the entire group over at The Draft Network was as well...I had plenty of DM conversations with Joe Marino about Metcalf leading up to that Draft...No one that I trust (and I don't trust many)...had him anything less that the #1 WR prospect in that Draft, and at the very least a top 15 overall prospect. Admittedly, some who loved DK (like Joe) disagreed with me and had Oliver as a better prospect overall...

The fact that NFL GMs passed on him means nothing to me. It's only further proof that there are a lot of Front Offices out there that are clueless, or that suffer from paralysis from over-analysis. Plus there are the teams with little to no WR need at the time. Keep in mind we are talking about a kid with VERY high character and work ethic. That was never questioned. He had some injuries but they could be easily explained. He was in amazing shape at the combine. A kid with athletic ability that was off the charts. And everyone gets caught up on 3 cone drills? Give me a break...Put in the tape and watch it! He was a dynamic athlete on the field with the ability to to get off the line using awesome hand technique, and he got to top speed fast. Not everyone is going to run routes like Diggs. And EVERY WR has to deal with the NFL learning curve. But only a very small handful of WR prospects come with the physical package Metcalf wakes up with every day. To me he was about as can't miss as they come.

I'm certainly no expert. I'm not an NFL GM, and I'm not perfect. However, somehow I knew Pat Mahomes was the #1 Prospect in the 2017 Draft. Somehow I knew Josh Rosen would be a bust. Somehow I knew that Chris Jones would be a dominate NFL D-Lineman and a better NFL player than Shaq Lawson. And somehow I knew that if given the chance I would have taken DK Metcalf over Ed Oliver 100 out of 100 times...And it's really nothing against Ed...It's just how can't-miss I felt Metcalf was.😎

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

No offense meant...But as an amateur scout for 30 plus years (most of them right here on TSW) I can promise you there were plenty of people standing on their soapbox's declaring DK Metcalf a can't miss prospect. And I was one of them... Basically the entire group over at The Draft Network was as well...I had plenty of DM conversations with Joe Marino about Metcalf leading up to that Draft...No one that I trust (and I don't trust many)...had him anything less that the #1 WR prospect in that Draft, and at the very least a top 15 overall prospect. Admittedly, some who loved DK (like Joe) disagreed with me and had Oliver as a better prospect overall...

The fact that NFL GMs passed on him means nothing to me. It's only further proof that there are a lot of Front Offices out there that are clueless, or that suffer from paralysis from over-analysis. Plus there are the teams with little to no WR need at the time. Keep in mind we are talking about a kid with VERY high character and work ethic. That was never questioned. He had some injuries but they could be easily explained. He was in amazing shape at the combine. A kid with athletic ability that was off the charts. And everyone gets caught up on 3 cone drills? Give me a break...Put in the tape and watch it! He was a dynamic athlete on the field with the ability to to get off the line using awesome hand technique, and he got to top speed fast. Not everyone is going to run routes like Diggs. And EVERY WR has to deal with the NFL learning curve. But only a very small handful of WR prospects come with the physical package Metcalf wakes up with every day. To me he was about as can't miss as they come.

I'm certainly no expert. I'm not an NFL GM, and I'm not perfect. However, somehow I knew Pat Mahomes was the #1 Prospect in the 2017 Draft. Somehow I knew Josh Rosen would be a bust. Somehow I knew that Chris Jones would be a dominate NFL D-Lineman and a better NFL player than Shaq Lawson. And somehow I knew that if given the chance I would have taken DK Metcalf over Ed Oliver 100 out of 100 times...And it's really nothing against Ed...It's just how can't-miss I felt Metcalf was.😎

Great post. Everyone is going to have an opinion and someone outside the NFL can most definitely be more qualified and right more often than some GMs.

I’m not necessarily going to buy the fact that all 32 FOs are incompetent. It’s simply not believable... it’s also easier to form an opinion and bang the table for certain players when at the end of the day your job isn’t on the line. It’s a lot harder when you’re there making those decisions with real ramifications, speaking from experience. 

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's sarcasm right?

I believe we thought we replaced at least part of Lorenzo with AJ Klein, but it hasn't worked out so far.

No even close.  Klein was known to be better against the run.  Lorenzo was less stout at the run but far better in pass coverage plus he could get to the QB plus he was a fantastic leader plus he was a special teams star.  

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

I have zero issue with how we’ve addressed the WR spots, other than they need to carry another real WR (Duke) on the active roster if Brown stays banged up for a while.  Maybe just in general if we stay heavy 4 wide.  

However, you make very legitimate points in how Beane addresses the Front 7 this offseason.  Early results look brutal.  Thankfully they all have outs after this season.  

It's largely an issue of not having TC and preseason and a bunch of new players on the line than it is that everyone need to overreact. I would like to see the defensive line and corner positions get an injection of young help in the offseason, but I don't think immediate help is coming.

In addition, they're running out of bodies this year. The defense line has 3 new starters, the 2 best linebackers are hurt right now, and the 2 best corners are dealing with injury. That's like 3/4 of the defense that doesn't have familiarity.

The team is built to go as far as Josh Allen takes it and right now that's ok.