Who will the starting guards and corners be for Sunday.. Running short

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Lewis starts.  White I think will play.  If not Neal plays and Johnson moves outside.  Hyde may rotate to CB.

While none of this statement is wrong, none of it should make anybody feel comfortable about the defensive backfield against the Jets.

3 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

While none of this statement is wrong, none of it should make anybody feel comfortable about the defensive backfield against the Jets.

Any team in the league who gets hit with a lot of injuries at on position has to scramble.  People here are pretending there should be an unlimited pipeline of CBs.  We have guys that will have to go out and do the job.  Probably play a lot of zone with our extra safeties more in CB mode if needed. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You’re not trying to say we were going end up with a future starter, but right before that statement, you go on to list some of the better cornerbacks in the NFL as trade candidates. 

I totally follow. 

I’m not really agreeing that those guys are some of the better corners in the nfl. But those guys would put us in a better position that we are currently in. You might have missed the point

13 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not really agreeing that those guys are some of the better corners in the nfl. But those guys would put us in a better position that we are currently in. You might have missed the point

I can’t see current season ranking because I don’t subscribe to PFF, but going into this season Slay, King, Fuller and Robey-Coleman were all rated as top 25 CB in the NFL by PFF. 

I understood the point, I don’t think you understand the value of the players you gave as an example. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Lewis starts.  White I think will play.  If not Neal plays and Johnson moves outside.  Hyde may rotate to CB.

Hyde is NOT going to rotate to CB.

The most likely occurance is that we will call up 1 or both CB off the practice squad.

16 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Siran Neal and Dean Marlowe are going to see a lot of playing time... Is Dane Jackson going to be active?

Bring up Dane Jackson from the PS and activate would be my guess, and Lafayette Pitts as well would be conceivable especially if White is on the "doubtful" side of "questionable".

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We are going to have a mess on our hands. Even if White is 40% we need him out there. The fact that we brought in no replacement level CB over the past 3 weeks is inexcusable. We should not be in position to be starting Cam Lewis it Dane Jackson. This is an absolute must win game It’s truly embarrassing.

I’m starting to think our defense sucks 

Ike and Winters at guard is a big drop from last year with Spain and Cody/Feliciano.  The Jets may stink but they have a strong DL.  If our Defense continues to struggle we are going to have to score a lot.  

The guards are critical.   I can see the Jets trying to take away the run and make Josh throw.  I can see Josh being flushed out of the pocket by inside pressure.  We don’t have a FB and we don’t have RB’s that consistently chip block in pass protection (like Thurman and Freddy did so well).  Our offense is basically Josh stretching the field with Brown and Diggs.  Brown is out.  

This is game were Josh has to play great.  I can see him being our leading rusher in this one. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I can’t see current season ranking because I don’t subscribe to PFF, but going into this season Slay, King, Fuller and Robey-Coleman were all rated as top 25 CB in the NFL by PFF. 

I understood the point, I don’t think you understand the value of the players you gave as an example. 

I think I understand completely how lopsided the value is when it comes to in season trades in the nfl. No player I mentioned there gets more then a 3rd back. That’s how the nfl works. Drastically over valuing draft picks. You can get a guy that can start for a 3-5th round draft pick. That’s how it works in this league. Do you realize that? I’m not asking the Bills to trade for Ramsey here. Slay might be a bit of a stretch but I was supplying names for the sake of it. When I was challenged to come up with examples it took me about 4 mins.

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Trumane Johnson

Morris Claiborne 

B.W. Webb

There are 14 teams with less then 2 wins. Trade for a CB. It’s not difficult to do or to understand. There are probably 5-10 guys on teams that are rebuilding that could have been brought in. Washington would probably move fuller or Darby. There are guys on the eagles(slay, robey ) Minnesota is about to blow that team up. The chargers have a couple of veterans that I’m sure could be had (des king). There are plenty of guys that you could have traded for. Still can. Being in a position to have a 1 handed Cam Lewis or another PS guy in a must win game is not ok. I will name players that you could have traded for but it will be pointless. We did nothing.

I’m not trying to say we were going to end up with a future starter at CB but what we did isn’t enough. There are a few guys out there that could have helped and would at least provide some depth or options at the position.

The guys you name are in no way sure bets to be contributors.  Trumaine Johnson (I assume that's who you mean) is a 30 yr old who got cut 1.5 years into a big 5 year contract...by the Jets...then couldn't stick on the Panthers PS this season. Morris Claiborne is a 30 yr old former starter who had a substance abuse suspension last year, and it's notable KC didn't re-up him and no team has picked him up.  BW Webb, a 30 year old journeyman, was released by the Cardinals a week after they signed him.  I'm not saying he can't play, but that's not a "sure sign of a good time" that this is a player who can definitely contribute.

It's not a clear any of these are "starter level" or even "replacement level" upgrades on Cam Lewis or Dane Jackson who at least know our system.  Some of us criticized the Josh Norman signing saying at 32 he was probably past his expiry date.  Even more true of the above.

As for trades - the Bills are in a relatively low-probability roster situation here.  They have one starting CB on IR while their primary backup (or his challenger at starter) is "Out".  At the same time their other starting CB is injured and questionable, and the second backup is also injured.  All of this happening at once is a fairly low probability.  These are all also, at this point, supposed to be relatively short-term injuries.  Only one on 3 week IR, due back next week.

You want us to go out and trade for players to fill in a temporary and rare situation, using what?  Draft picks?  Other players?  Guys on other teams' rosters aren't being given away.  Those teams want something of value.  Maybe you want us to trade them Gabe Davis?  Then next week (avert) maybe we have another WR injured and the WR room is short-handed.  That's simply not a good strategy for roster management.

You trade for players you believe will be an improvement or will bring something your current roster lacks, not to fill in for injuries.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think I understand completely how lopsided the value is when it comes to in season trades in the nfl. No player I mentioned there gets more then a 3rd back. That’s how the nfl works. Drastically over valuing draft picks. You can get a guy that can start for a 3-5th round draft pick. That’s how it works in this league. Do you realize that? I’m not asking the Bills to trade for Ramsey here. Slay might be a bit of a stretch but I was supplying names for the sake of it. When I was challenged to come up with examples it took me about 4 mins.

I showed you that 4 of the guys you listed are ranked somewhere in the top 25 by PFF. None are ranked above Tre White (10) but Slay comes in at 11. They’re all roughly in the same range. 

Out of curiosity, if Brandon Beane traded Tre White for a 3rd round pick, what would you say about that? 

Edited by JGMcD2

For White this may be part of reason and no it is not from the Onion:

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19544148/why-fat-wallet-causes-bad-back/

When it comes to your wallet, size matters. Carrying a big, fat wad of cash in your pocket can mean major trouble for your back.

The problem starts when your sciatic nerve, which is right behind your hip joint, gets pinched between the wallet and your hip itself, and can sometimes be diagnosed as sciatica. It causes pain that starts from your hip, but can send aches all the way down your leg.

Of course may is one of those iffy words which frankly does not mean much but is used by press all the time.

24 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I showed you that 4 of the guys you listed are ranked somewhere in the top 25 by PFF. None are ranked above Tre White (10) but Slay comes in at 11. They’re all roughly in the same range. 

Out of curiosity, if Brandon Beane traded Tre White for a 3rd round pick, what would you say about that? 

You are just reaching for a comparison here. Darby, Fuller or King are not the same as Tre White. Are you implying that decent veterans don’t get traded (In season) for mid round picks? Golden was traded for a 6th yesterday.  This is going way off the point here. Agree to disagree. 

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

You are just reaching for a comparison here. Darby, Fuller or King are not the same as Tre White. Are you implying that decent veterans don’t get traded (In season) for mid round picks? Golden was traded for a 6th yesterday.  This is going way off the point here. Agree to disagree. 

How am I reaching for a comparison? I gave you rankings from a 3rd party. They put those guys in the same category as Tre White. Which would imply that they’re more than decent veterans. It’s fair ask whether or not you’d trade Tre White for a 3rd round pick? Fine. If you don’t believe he’s the same caliber and a notch above, would you trade him for a 2nd round pick? 

In the pro sports world, if you make a scouting or personnel recommendation and your evaluation doesn’t actually match up with the recommendation... it gets thrown out. Your evaluation doesn’t match up with the recommendation. 

Edited by JGMcD2

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

How am I reaching for a comparison? I gave you rankings from a 3rd party. They put those guys in the same category as Tre White. Which would imply that they’re more than decent veterans. It’s fair ask whether or not you’d trade Tre White for a 3rd round pick? Fine. If you don’t believe he’s the same caliber and a notch above, would you trade him for a 2nd round pick? 

In the pro sports world, if you make a scouting or personnel recommendation and your evaluation doesn’t actually match up with the recommendation... it gets thrown out. Your evaluation doesn’t match up with the recommendation. 

Would I personally trade Tre White for a 2nd? no. If (theoretically) we were a floundering team that is on the verge of a rebuild, do I think the Bills would do that? Maybe. Again, you are picking a literal top 3 cornerback in all of football and trying to prove a point. It’s nowhere near the same as what I’m saying. The guys I mentioned are more in line with us trading Levi Wallace. Which you are getting no more then a 4th or 5th for him. I just went through saying the trades in the nfl are lopsided. As in, the team that is trading away the vet, is the team getting the lesser of the deal. Btw Slay the best guy I mentioned was already traded for a 3rd and a 5th. And now he’s older. There are moves we can make to get better. This is a season that we need to take advantage of. The division is available and nfl windows are very small. We are going to have to pay our QB soon. The time to go for it I’d now Not every situation is the same. Sometimes you push chips in to cash in on an opportunity. There where I’m leaving it. Agree to disagree.