Should Romo be an NFL coach?

stevestojan

8 hours ago, stevestojan said:

We all (well most of us) agree that Romo is by far the best color commentator of all time. 

His ability to predict play calls is almost psychic. The man knows football. 

So, outside of money (and that has to be the reason) why isn’t he at least a coordinator? 

No, this isn’t a Chicken Little “the Bills should hire him” post. It’s just my reaction to watching him constantly read plays perfectly. 

Thoughts? 

I think he is good at what he does, but I do not think it would make him a good coach at all.

Currently - he gets weekly access to both teams and can see practices and talks to the teams about gameplans prior to the game being played.  He mixes that with his knowledge and it helps him, but each year away - his ability to “know” what is happening has become less and less accurate.

I think what is needed to be a coach or even some type of consultant would be shown to be a farce without the access to the opponent on a weekly basis.

I guess the other question would be how does recognizing a potential play just prior to the ball being snapped help a team - he is not playing and by the time he recognizes the formation and talks about what is coming - most of the time the communication would be shut off.  Plus since he is wrong or only close about 1/2 the time does that create issues?

I think he is uniquely situated to do exactly what he is doing?  Airman when he first started did much of the same, but over time as he got away he lost that edge and the same thing is happening to Romo - Plus it is fun and easy to do sitting in the booth with no skin on being right - as a coach he would not have that freedom and therefore I think he would just become like any other coach and nothing special.

Fair points. Just think the guy could take a team like Cleveland, Miami, etc and get himself a ring. But your points are all valid. 

Not a chance.  

• Like (+1) 1

So, the responses are what I expected. Comfy life, less stress, and likely unmatched money. 

So let’s go down that path. Would you be OK if Terry offered him $5MM a year to be an advisor? Would he still be allowed to still commentate? Probably not. 

Sorry, I know this is a weird topic but the dude is so good at predicting plays. 

I believe there are many more people - already in the coaching ranks - that are significantly better at predicting plays that he is.  The difference is that it does you no good to predict a play just as it is getting snapped.  That has nothing at all to do with coaching.

Plus his access to the opponent includes the ability to talk to the coordinators and see bits of practice that as a coach he would not have access to.

Let’s understand what he is - a guy that talks about a game he played and still has a lot of friends in contact with.  Each year he becomes less accurate at knowing exactly what teams are doing and he becomes more general in his assessment of plays - especially pre-snap.

I do not see anything that would suggest he would make a “great coach” or consultant.  I see a guy that talks well and makes an above average commentator, but that does not translate into coaching in any meaningful way.

13 hours ago, stevestojan said:

We all (well most of us) agree that Romo is by far the best color commentator of all time. 

So, outside of money (and that has to be the reason) why isn’t he at least a coordinator? 

No, this isn’t a Chicken Little “the Bills should hire him” post. It’s just my reaction to watching him constantly read plays perfectly. 

Thoughts? 

He doesn't want to be one. 

He makes way more money and spends way less time, working human hours rather than coach hours. He's in a far better situation.

Even the best coaches with bad ownership and bad GM will fail and if Romo coached and failed his stock as a big brand commentator would go wayyy down.  

The only thing Romo could do to fail is be bad at commenting. He's not. 

You only work 25 weeks a year. What's not to like?

15 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Thoughts? 

why?

he makes 2x what NFL coaches make

he has none of the stress

no stupid fans backseat driving his every move

16 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Being an NFL coach is a grind.  You work long hours, don't get to see much of your family, etc.  You also have a lot of headaches to deal with and often have a short shelf-life.  Could Romo be a coach - probably yes.  But he makes a great living doing what he is doing and it's a much easier job and lifestyle.  If I was in his shoes, I would stick with broadcasting.

...yup....10 mil a year in the cozy booth helps to "make ends meet"........

16 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Thoughts? 

Why the hell would he want to work that hard?  He's making $18M a year to talk about football 1-2 times/week.

He might have the chops to be a coach but as much time as they have to put in as a coach why would he want to be one ? If coaches put in as much time as they say he would have to give up playing golf and a lot more for the time before & during the season so i don't see him giving up his cushy TV job to become a coach !! 

16 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Thoughts? 

I'd imagine almost any QB in the league could do the same thing while sitting in the press box.  If he is so good at predicting plays, why wasn't he more successful as a player.  He was very good, but wouldn't call him elite, wouldn't compare him to Brady, Manning, Farve, Brees, or Rodgers. 

He certainly is very articulate at describing things during a broadcast, better than most, but that doesn't make him a good coach.   You sometimes too hear that many people watching a broadcast don't like it when the announcer predicts the plays before they happen so that could be why he does it better than most as others deliberately shy away from doing that too often.

Romo also have a very likeable friendly personality with constant excitement in his voice.  Compare that with say Aikman who sounds and looks as exciting staring at a blank wall.  I wonder if Romo's personality would even translate to a good coach as you don't see many excited HC's out there.   On top of that the only successful QB in the past 50 years that became a HC  was Bart Starr.  Most QB's who became HC were backup QB's like Frank Reich, Jason Garrett, Jim Harbaugh, etc.

17 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Being an NFL coach is a grind.  You work long hours, don't get to see much of your family, etc.  You also have a lot of headaches to deal with and often have a short shelf-life.  Could Romo be a coach - probably yes.  But he makes a great living doing what he is doing and it's a much easier job and lifestyle.  If I was in his shoes, I would stick with broadcasting.

put differently:  golf > NFL coach. 

I think he certainly could be a good coach at the NFL level.

It probably comes down to his own personal interests.

I think he enjoys the casualness of the broadcasting gig.  He does a little homework during the week, shows up for the game, seemingly has a lot of fun calling it with Nantz, and then it's over.

He has plenty of money from playing and probably a lovely 7 figure K for broadcasting.

Zero pressure.

What more could you want?