Should Romo be an NFL coach?

stevestojan

We all (well most of us) agree that Romo is by far the best color commentator of all time. 

His ability to predict play calls is almost psychic. The man knows football. 

So, outside of money (and that has to be the reason) why isn’t he at least a coordinator? 

No, this isn’t a Chicken Little “the Bills should hire him” post. It’s just my reaction to watching him constantly read plays perfectly. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by stevestojan

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

We all (well most of us) agree that Romo is by far the best color commentator of all time. 
So, outside of money (and that has to be the reason) why isn’t he at least an coordinator? 
No, this isn’t a Chicken Little “the Bills should hire him” post. It’s just my reaction to watching him constantly read plays perfectly. 
Thoughts? 

Romo would seem positioned to be a great NFL coach if he had interest.

I think the network gig suits him perfectly - plenty of time for advertisements, he can do a lot of his preparation and background work at home with his family, and then 2 days of travel a week or something.

Basically something he also enjoys, but that allows him more time with his family and less stress

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Being an NFL coach is a grind.  You work long hours, don't get to see much of your family, etc.  You also have a lot of headaches to deal with and often have a short shelf-life.  Could Romo be a coach - probably yes.  But he makes a great living doing what he is doing and it's a much easier job and lifestyle.  If I was in his shoes, I would stick with broadcasting.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

Being an NFL coach is a grind.  You work long hours, don't get to see much of your family, etc.  You also have a lot of headaches to deal with and often have a short shelf-life.  Could Romo be a coach - probably yes.  But he makes a great living doing what he is doing and it's a much easier job and lifestyle.  If I was in his shoes, I would stick with broadcasting.

Fair points. Just think the guy could take a team like Cleveland, Miami, etc and get himself a ring. But your points are all valid. 

Much easier to be a commentator. By definition it is usually commenting on what has just occurred. Hell most of us who have watched the game for years can do it. He has the added ability to predict things based on tendency and formation.  That comes with years of film study. 

I'm not saying he couldn't be a coach, but calling plays is the least difficult job of a coach. Most players will say it is the execution not the play call that matters. So the question should not be about play calling, it should be about whether he can evaluate talent and if he can teach them to get better.

So, the responses are what I expected. Comfy life, less stress, and likely unmatched money. 

So let’s go down that path. Would you be OK if Terry offered him $5MM a year to be an advisor? Would he still be allowed to still commentate? Probably not. 

Sorry, I know this is a weird topic but the dude is so good at predicting plays. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

He'd be great as a coach...even a defensive coach IMO. 

But why ruin a sweet gig for daily work?

That's what you call living the dream.

Being a coach is a lot of work - long hours and its basically year round.  Being color commentary with one of the best play by play guys?  Maybe he watches a few hours of film to get a feel for stuff they call and formations etc.  After that its just natural - he sees it like they do.  

Just now, stevestojan said:

So, the responses are what I expected. Comfy life, less stress, and likely unmatched money. 

So let’s go down that path. Would you be OK if Terry offered him $5MM a year to be an advisor? Would he still be allowed to still commentate? Probably not. 

Sorry, I know this is a weird topic but the dude is so good at predicting plays. 

He's kinda gotten away from it when i watch his games now.  But there's also that football player in him that can't help but say "get rid of it" when the QB holds it, or "Ball!" when someone fumbles.  I think he's a really good commentator so... id rather he just do that.

Unless your like wrecks, NFL head coach is one of the toughest jobs there. 

Harbaugh Sleeps in his office and schedules every waking minute of his week. 

Coughlin even scheduled his dumps. 

mom sure Romo is very happy where he is. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

7 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Would you be OK if Terry offered him $5MM a year to be an advisor?

Let's take a step back. The original premise is that Romo has a great football mind, so he's qualified to coach. No doubt that's true, but there are a ton of coaches who have the same knowledge - they just don't happen to be broadcasters, so we don't know about them. Of all the guys we hear talking football, Romo seems the smartest. But it doesn't mean he is the smartest or that he'd be a better coach than coaches who don't talk happen to to us every Sunday.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

So, outside of money (and that has to be the reason) why isn’t he at least a coordinator? 

Thoughts? 

You realize that coaching is a 24/7 job and commentating is not, right?  No team is going to pay Romo anything close to what he is making as a commentator($17 million a year) in a cushy job working part time. So you are suggesting he work 5 times harder for 1/5(or less) of the pay?  Does that sound like a good deal to you?

Would YOU do that?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I'm sure his contract would not allow him to be a advisor for any team. Say your a Bills fan and we play team x that he's advising, are you going to think hes fair then