How do the Bills prepare for inclement weather?

I watched a post game presser with John Harbaugh after a miserable rainy game vs. NE where he talked about how their ops staff did a great job helping them prepare by giving them cold wet balls (keep it clean, Boys! FOOTballs) to practice with

In Sundays game, it seemed as though both QB struggled early with the weather, but Josh seemed to struggle more with the wet footballs.

Does anyone know whether our OPs guys soak the footballs in water of the appropriate temperature to prepare for anticipated adverse conditions?

Of course one factor for the Bills might be the short week, with more walkthrough and less actual padded practice

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to How do the Bills prepare for inclement weather?

It was overall disappointing that Kansas City had to travel to our city, in our crappy dreary weather, and handled it better.  That should not happen.  

Yes, they had a good running game...but let's face it, if Mahomes needed to throw more he would not have faced any difficulty, unlike Buffalo.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

It was overall disappointing that Kansas City had to travel to our city, in our crappy dreary weather, and handled it better.  That should not happen.  

Yes, they had a good running game...but let's face it, if Mahomes needed to throw more he would not have faced any difficulty, unlike Buffalo.

That will happen until we can run the ball

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I watched a post game presser with John Harbaugh after a miserable rainy game vs. NE where he talked about how their ops staff did a great job helping them prepare by giving them cold wet balls (keep it clean, Boys! FOOTballs) to practice with

In Sundays game, it seemed as though both QB struggled early with the weather, but Josh seemed to struggle more with the wet footballs.

Does anyone know whether our OPs guys soak the footballs in water of the appropriate temperature to prepare for anticipated adverse conditions?

Of course one factor for the Bills might be the short week, with more walkthrough and less actual padded practice

Common sense would probably dictate that you check that the players had the right cleats. Soaking footballs would be another one but I’ve used those gloves and they make catching wet footballs pretty easy. Checking field conditions with a fine tooth comb all over the field. Visibility with visors to see if they need to be removed. 

26 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Rain isn’t exclusive to Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

Rain isn’t exclusive to Buffalo. 

Are you suggesting that Buffalo isn't the only team that plays in inclement weather?  Because thats just crazy.  I am appalled. 

If you even think about making the argument that considering: high annual roster turnover; players from all over the country; a regular season with 1.5 months of POSSIBLE winter weather; and an even mix of home and away games mitigating the chances of playing many bad weather games in any cold weather city, that there's minimal advantages based on weather then I am just going to lose it!

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, zow2 said:

it's not like Kansas City ever has bad weather...

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Are you suggesting that Buffalo isn't the only team that plays in inclement weather?  Because thats just crazy.  I am appalled. 

If you even think about making the argument that considering: high annual roster turnover; players from all over the country; a regular season with 1.5 months of POSSIBLE winter weather; and an even mix of home and away games mitigating the chances of playing many bad weather games in any cold weather city, that there's minimal advantages based on weather then I am just going to lose it!

The crappy weather in Orchard Park has been an advantage to all of the good teams the Bills have played since 2000, and a disadvantage to mediocre and bad Bills teams struggling to execute under ideal conditions.

I'd love for Josh Allen to have a dome to play in for the next 10 years. Can't think of anything that can help him with accuracy and ball placement like no wind and 72 degree weather every game. 

44 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Same thing happened last year with the wind against Philly. 

I’m getting beyond sick of the weather excuse.  

Two years in a row weather has seemed to affect us more than the opponent. 

Either build a dome or figure it out. 

35 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Common sense would probably dictate that you check that the players had the right cleats. Soaking footballs would be another one but I’ve used those gloves and they make catching wet footballs pretty easy. Checking field conditions with a fine tooth comb all over the field. Visibility with visors to see if they need to be removed. 

I'm actually more thinking of Allen throwing bare-handed than of the guys catching if they have the right gloves. 

I think the wet ball comes off his hand differently and travels through the air differently and it makes the difference between an easy completion and a ball that's a foot away from a gimme catch.

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Same thing happened last year with the wind against Philly. 

I’m getting beyond sick of the weather excuse.  

Two years in a row weather has seemed to affect us more than the opponent. 

Either build a dome or figure it out. 

Well, yeah, that's fundamentally the thesis of my OP: what do the Bills do, to "figure it out" and prepare?  Are there other things that should be listed than the above?

Just wondering if a focus on gameplan and overlooking practicing in weather conditions or trying to duplicate the behavior of Star of the Show, the Duke, the Pigskin, the Football, might be overlooked.....

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm actually more thinking of Allen throwing bare-handed than of the guys catching if they have the right gloves. 

I think the wet ball comes off his hand differently and travels through the air differently and it makes the difference between an easy completion and a ball that's a foot away from a gimme catch.

Well, yeah, that's fundamentally the thesis of my OP: what do the Bills do, to "figure it out" and prepare?  Are there other things that should be listed?

Well, I know I’m in the minority, but I’m all in on playing in a Dome.  

As for now, we need to develop a running game.  That’s the quickest fix.   Having a reliable big target tight end for Allen to throw to in the middle of the field would also help.  

Edited by SCBills

Honestly I didn't even consider weather as a reason for his struggles... I'm sure he's played in rain before, and it wasn't windy which would have much more of an impact. 

I'm a big Allen fan but you can't deny his struggles with accuracy his first two years... I think it was more of an issue of him reverting to bad form and habits.