Beane Wanted Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown as a QB Mentor?

JohnNord

21 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think he needs to stop putting the entire show on his shoulders.....sure he wants to put "the drought" way in the past, but he needs to hone his confidence in his teammates.......injuries have not helped the supporting cast so far this year.....NOT pointing fingers, but asking a question:..if Frazier is THE guy, why does McD periodically find it necessary to take over D play calling duties?......

He took it over for half a game and the rest is media / internet speculation so hardly "periodically".  

And he would not have been promoted to assistant head coach if there was some question on his ability.

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He took it over for half a game and the rest is media / internet speculation so hardly "periodically".  

And he would not have been promoted to assistant head coach if there was some question on his ability.

...fair enough assessment....how about his ability to adjust, particularly when faced with the adversity of injuries?......OR....have the injuries exposed what Beane thought was significant depth?....

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...fair enough assessment....how about his ability to adjust, particularly when faced with the adversity of injuries?......OR....have the injuries exposed what Beane thought was significant depth?....

IMO 2nd half adjustments have been bad for years for the Bills.  When we on defense at home I'd blame the fans after half time since most seemed to in beer lines but this year it is not a factor.  

I think despite Bills appearing to do everything right during offseason the preseason was not long enough to integrate players into a complex defense more resources should have been put into LBs and DBs.  The type of injuries we are getting are indications of not enough reps.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

IMO 2nd half adjustments have been bad for years for the Bills.  When we on defense at home I'd blame the fans after half time since most seemed to in beer lines but this year it is not a factor.  

I think despite Bills appearing to do everything right during offseason the preseason was not long enough to integrate players into a complex defense more resources should have been put into LBs and DBs.  The type of injuries we are getting are indications of not enough reps.

...quick story about McCown.......was living at a Cleveland hotel while my late wife underwent double lung transplant surgery at the Cleveland Clinic and commuting from Rochester.....turned out to be the same hotel that the Browns used....met several players, rooks, tryout kids et al........all classy folk...THE most hated by the Marriott staff was McCown......a condescending , arrogant, "don't you know who I am" woody......destined for Canton I guess.......

On 10/23/2020 at 10:41 PM, JohnNord said:

I know what you mean.  I do feel that Josh needed to learn with experience rather than watching.  He even alluded to that last season.  

Yeah, but QBs, hell, players, will always say this, whether it's true or not.

And there's plenty of likelihood it's not true.

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Did Beane think it was enough depth? Or just the amount of depth he could manage with the cap situation as it was?

IMO the latter. Everyone knew they had depth problems at LB, for instance. Pretty sure Beane was aware but couldn't do better under the circumstances.

I have zero problems with Frazier, myself. Zero worries there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Top 10 QB picks play as rookies.  Luckily McD came to his senses with that NP lunacy 

First, Mahomes says hi. So, no. And he turned out pretty decently.

Jake Locker was also a top ten guy and only threw 66 passes his first year, mostly in games 13 and 14, not that he turned out that well, but there are other factors that bear in QB success than playing as a rookie, including talent, how well the team develops him, the team situation and in Locker's case, particularly injuries. JaMarcus Russell also didn't play till the last week of the season, though there's no question his holdout may have contributed, not to mention his sizzurp habit. David Carr for one is a guy who should've sat for a year.

And second, yes, they most often do play as rookies, even if it is a really bad idea. The reason that it's so common is less that it helps the QB and far more tthat teams that pick top ten QBs tend to be overwhelmingly extremely bad teams with desperate coaches. Has nothing to do with whether the policy makes sense or hurts the development of many of the QBs affected.

It's the opposite of lunacy, and while Allen appears to have survived it just fine, he might have gone into the 2nd season with a much better grasp of things and better honed mechanics if they'd been able to keep him on the bench.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 10/23/2020 at 9:34 AM, JohnNord said:

Just go through watching the NYUP podcast with guest Tim Graham.  I found one tidbit really interesting.  Graham said that the Bills looked into signing Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown in the 2018 offseason as a “placeholder QB” or mentor. I believe that both re-signed with their teams before FA started, which would seem to be the reason why they eventually went with the plan B of AJ McCarron.

It’s fascinating to think about what could have been with a Fitzpatrick led Bills team in 2018.  I don’t see the team winning much more than they did, but the year definitely would have been fun.  It also makes you wonder what happens with Josh and to a lesser extent with Nathan Peterman as a developmental backup.   Does learning from Fitzpatrick make them better QB’s?  Does Fitz get the best out of guys like Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones and even a Robert Foster?

Would Josh sit the whole year or would the Bills have another Tua situation on their hands? It’s interesting to think what could’ve happened.  

Holy *****, this is the most boring podcast of all time.