Beane Wanted Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown as a QB Mentor?

JohnNord

Just go through watching the NYUP podcast with guest Tim Graham.  I found one tidbit really interesting.  Graham said that the Bills looked into signing Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown in the 2018 offseason as a “placeholder QB” or mentor. I believe that both re-signed with their teams before FA started, which would seem to be the reason why they eventually went with the plan B of AJ McCarron.

It’s fascinating to think about what could have been with a Fitzpatrick led Bills team in 2018.  I don’t see the team winning much more than they did, but the year definitely would have been fun.  It also makes you wonder what happens with Josh and to a lesser extent with Nathan Peterman as a developmental backup.   Does learning from Fitzpatrick make them better QB’s?  Does Fitz get the best out of guys like Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones and even a Robert Foster?

Would Josh sit the whole year or would the Bills have another Tua situation on their hands? It’s interesting to think what could’ve happened.  

• Like (+1) 1

I love Josh Allen, but the guy has some psycho in him... that being said, I don’t know if he is where he is if his development didn’t include so much up and down. He thrives by getting his ass kicked and coming back for more and to figure it out. 2018 was a lot of ass kicking that I think he needed. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

I guess I'm glad it turned out the way it did. I don't know what proof anyone could point to and say Josh would be further along than he is now if he sat the 2018 season....or more.

I know what you mean.  I do feel that Josh needed to learn with experience rather than watching.  He even alluded to that last season.  

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

I guess I'm glad it turned out the way it did. I don't know what proof anyone could point to and say Josh would be further along than he is now if he sat the 2018 season....or more.

I’m happy Josh got the playing time in his rookie year. A raw prospect like Allen needs the experience. I’m not a believer in the idea that you ruin a QB by throwing him out there too soon. Experience is always a good thing imo. Fitz or McCown would have just kept him on the bench longer. I‘m very relieved we didn’t have to watch McCown in 2018. Allen’s rookie ups and down were more interesting than anything you’d see from a guy like McCown. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m happy Josh got the playing time in his rookie year. A raw prospect like Allen needs the experience. I’m not a believer in the idea that you ruin a QB by throwing him out there too soon. Experience is always a good thing imo. Fitz or McCown would have just kept him on the bench longer. I‘m very relieved we didn’t have to watch McCown in 2018. Allen’s rookie ups and down were more interesting than anything you’d see from a guy like McCown. 

THIS!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I love Josh Allen, but the guy has some psycho in him... that being said, I don’t know if he is where he is if his development didn’t include so much up and down. He thrives by getting his ass kicked and coming back for more and to figure it out. 2018 was a lot of ass kicking that I think he needed. 

Maybe our defense will play better after getting their ass kicked.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Fitz will make a great QB coach and maybe OC some day.  He has said that when he pictures himself playing QB it's always in a Bills uniform; he had his best years here.  Would be great if he came back and settled here and worked for the Bills in some coaching capacity.

Related - there's a lot of talk about Daboll leaving the Bills to be a HC someday soon.  But the thing is, he is FROM Buffalo and is a life long Bills fan.  When he got to return home and settle here and got this job he said this is his dream job.  Maybe he stays put?

Edited by Irish Dave

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Just go through watching the NYUP podcast with guest Tim Graham.  I found one tidbit really interesting.  Graham said that the Bills looked into signing Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown in the 2018 offseason as a “placeholder QB” or mentor. I believe that both re-signed with their teams before FA started, which would seem to be the reason why they eventually went with the plan B of AJ McCarron.

It’s fascinating to think about what could have been with a Fitzpatrick led Bills team in 2018.  I don’t see the team winning much more than they did, but the year definitely would have been fun.  It also makes you wonder what happens with Josh and to a lesser extent with Nathan Peterman as a developmental backup.   Does learning from Fitzpatrick make them better QB’s?  Does Fitz get the best out of guys like Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones and even a Robert Foster?

Would Josh sit the whole year or would the Bills have another Tua situation on their hands? It’s interesting to think what could’ve happened.  

I think Josh got the best out of Robert Foster.  It was just a short time span.  I would have liked to see Fitz with Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and Hogan.

And the #4 defense.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

11 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

Fitz will make a great QB coach and maybe OC some day.  He has said that when he pictures himself playing QB it's always in a Bills uniform; he had his best years here.  Would be great if he came back and settled here and worked for the Bills in some coaching capacity.

Related - there's a lot of talk about Daboll leaving the Bills to be a HC someday soon.  But the thing is, he is FROM Buffalo and is a life long Bills fan.  When he got to return home and settle here and got this job he said this is his dream job.  Maybe he stays put?

As an OC there’s no doubt that he’ll stay in Buffalo as long as he can.

But the ultimate goal for any NFL coach is to become a HC.  There’s only 32 spots.  If Daboll gets a chance to become a head coach, he will take it.  I don’t see him turning down HC offers so he can stay home.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

His dream job: Half the fans want him fired and the other half are afraid he will leave to be a HC Lol.  I do think he likes it in Buffalo.

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

But the ultimate goal for any NFL coach is to become a HC.  There’s only 32 spots.  If Daboll gets a chance to become a head coach, he will take it.  I don’t see him turning down HC offers so he can stay home.

Wade Phillips.

How does Tim Graham know this?   Could just be speculation.   I will wait to hear it confirmed by Eric Wood, one of Fitz's closest friends.  It is hard to understand why Fitz would not have come back here with so many close Buffalo relationships including Wood.

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

...think he needs to stop putting the entire show on his shoulders.....sure he wants to put "the drought" way in the past, but he needs to hone his confidence in his teammates.......injuries have not helped the supporting cast so far this year.....NOT pointing fingers, but asking a question:..if Frazier is THE guy, why does McD periodically find it necessary to take over D play calling duties?......

2 hours ago, Irish Dave said:

Fitzpatrick isn't going into coaching.  He can be a broadcaster & have a lot more time with his big family.  

1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

How does Tim Graham know this?   Could just be speculation.   I will wait to hear it confirmed by Eric Wood, one of Fitz's closest friends.  It is hard to understand why Fitz would not have come back here with so many close Buffalo relationships including Wood.

He never had a chance to...I believe he resigned with TB before Free Agency began.  So any discussions were probably internal.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Irish Dave said:

Love to see him finish his last couple years as our backup and then transition to QB coach.

I don't want Fitz back.

Been there done that.

I like watching him play for other teams.  That way when he throws an ill advised pick I can laugh.

I like the dude.  He is fun to watch.

However, there is a reason he has been dumped by 7 or 8 teams including us.

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Daboll interviewed for the Browns job last year, so I take that to mean that he would leave Buffalo to be a HC somewhere else.  I agree that as an OC, he wouldn't go anywhere other than Buffalo.  Despite the losses the last 2 weeks, it's a good young team on the rise with a highly-talented franchise QB, I suspect the Pegulas pay market rate or better, AND he gets to live in his hometown and work for the team he was a fan of growing up.