All-22 Grades for Bills/Chiefs (The Athletic)

HappyDays

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

The announcers mentioned many times that the rain was affecting Mahomes. He missed a bunch of throws too.

he went 21 for 26. so ya, thats a bit aggressive.

I'm not losing my mind over Allen but i'm not gonna blatantly lie about what i saw from mahomes to make Allens performance seem better. Geez guys.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

The announcers mentioned many times that the rain was affecting Mahomes. He missed a bunch of throws too.

He was 21 of 26....he had 5 incompletions.  

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

A lot of those run stops were run blitzes where extra guys were coming.

Okay.  I was just referring to the pass defense.  

And just like Mahomes said post game....when they came up, we threw over them.  Yes, he was right.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He was 21 of 26....he had 5 incompletions.  

Okay.  I was just referring to the pass defense.  

And just like Mahomes said post game....when they came up, we threw over them.  Yes, he was right.  

Is it just me or did the Bills do a much better job last year and the year before with showing simulated pressure, then backing off and maybe having a guy rush from a place that the offense wasn't expecting?

I seem to remember double A gap blitzes and simulated blitzes were a big problem for a lot of the teams they played.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Is it just me or did the Bills do a much better job last year and the year before with showing simulated pressure, then backing off and maybe having a guy rush from a place that the offense wasn't expecting?

I seem to remember double A gap blitzes and simulated blitzes were a big problem for a lot of the teams they played.

I'm not lying to you....I have noticed this too.  I've wondered where it went as well...

• Like (+1) 1

Of Jefferson’s 11 snaps at one-technique, the Bills’ run defense was a complete disaster. Six of those 11 plays were designed rushing attempts by the Chiefs, on which they gained 64 yards for an average of 10.7 yards per carry. Half of those carries went for 8 yards or more.

:bag:

Admittedly, I am far from an expert when it comes to defenses and where players play.

My questions:

Is this a Frazier problem or is it a McDermott problem?

And/or - is this a Beane problem because we don't have the right (or right kinds of) players on the roster?

Thank you!

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Admittedly, I am far from an expert when it comes to defenses and where players play.

My questions:

And/or - is this a Beane problem because we don't have the right (or right kinds of) players on the roster?

Thank you!

I think it's a personnel problem. We brought in so many DL this year that they're trying to figure out who fits best where. 

Oliver should and cannot be a 1 tech at sub 300. It seems as though they're trying to play around with the pairings. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Zimmer 1 tech and Oliver 3 tech this week vs Jets. 

In terms of Beane not getting the right players, I think it may be too early to tell across the DL. The Chiefs run D was a disaster at the start of last year and after 8 weeks or so it became much better. I think we'll know more within 2-3 weeks who our defense really is. 

Long story short: It's frustrating right now but I don't think there is cause to panic just yet. Maybe Edmunds issue is injury issue, maybe it's a Star issue. The secondary seems like it's slumping, however, it's hard to tell when they have to cover for 3-5 seconds every play. 

Edited by warrior9

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Interesting article from Joe.  He breaks down the problems on the Bills and it’s issues at all levels but mainly the front 7.

It starts with the defensive line - in particular the DT’s.  They aren’t occupying blocks and are losing matchups.

Then the LB’s in particular Edmunds.  He isn’t reacting and when he does he’s often fooled with misdirection.  He has not been able to shed blocks very well.  Edmunds was given a D+ which was the lowest score for all players.  

I saw the All 22 and it is very hard for any LB to move sideline to sideline when you have multiple guys coming your way. 

I think the biggest problem is the DTs are not doing their part. Take a look at the game again if you can and watch the KC Gards and Center, they often combo blocked our DTs for a second and moved them well, then one of them was quick to find someone on our sencond level (Tremain or Klein). Even if they were colsing on their gap, the Gards often were quicker cause they didn´t need to help too much in the combo blocks. 

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I thought Allen played fine last week but was too timid to say so.  Glad somebody else noticed that.

Played fine?  He looked like a rookie and was terrible.  He regressed badly on the physical side of his game.  His accuracy went back to be wildly off.  

He did make some pre-snap reads that were impressive.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

My questions:

Thank you!

It’s a cupboard issue.

Last year, we had complimentary skill sets on the DL. JP could penetrate. Shaq could hold an edge. Hughes could pressure. Star could eat blocks.

Hughes is old and the rest of those players are missing. Oliver is playing out of position because Phillips sucks as a 1t, and Butler/Jefferson have been underwhelming at 3t. No one can hold the edge well on the ends, Hughes spins inside, Murphy gets bowled over. Addison is inconsistent at everything he does.

Combine that with an injured Milano and a banged up Edmunds who is regressing a bit, and that’s a recipe for disaster. Like 265 yards allowed on the ground disaster.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 4

I just think when you get absolutely pummeled up front like that it impacts the entire mentality of the team.

When your own offense can't run the ball at all it makes it even worse. 

Manhood has to have been called out repeatedly since probably halftime of Tennessee.  We responded by scratching 2 d linemen.  And got wrecked.  Makes you call into question how good you think are real quick.  And can turn into a lot of finger pointing and blame and it looks like this team has experienced some of that given the benchings, the recent release of Spain, and Ford tweeting because its 2020 and hey everyone look at me I'm in my feelings.  

You don't have to have a top 5 line, but you cannot win if you have the worst front 7 in the NFL and an oline that can't get you some yards on the ground when you need it.  

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:
Top 5 grades: Zimmer, Butler, Morse, Beasley, Allen

Bottom 5 grades: Edmunds, Winters, Jefferson, Ford, Klein

Been a busy stretch personally but I put on the DVR after seeing the "Allen is no longer the answer" stuff after the game and this matches up with my take. He missed 4-5 throws instead of 2-3 throws that he's been doing this year (and getting bailed out on some of those). A lot of throw-aways skewed his stats. And like the Tennessee game once he figured it out he was moving the team, but the other phases couldn't get him the ball back.

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I'm not losing my mind over Allen but i'm not gonna blatantly lie about what i saw from mahomes to make Allens performance seem better. Geez guys.

Yea, Mahomes was fine.  He missed a couple throws so I’m not going to mock him because he didn’t go 26/26 ....

That said, Mahomes had a running game & Kelce... two things Allen didn’t have that clearly made a difference.  

Allen was trying to push the ball down the field, in wet conditions, against a flooded zone while our offense was completely one dimensional.  

He could’ve helped himself by hitting a wide open TD pass to Diggs, and potential TD pass to Singletary... those are 2019 Allen misses that need to be cleaned up.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

KC lost to the raiders without Jones in lineup. He was the true gamechanger in this one. Bills don't have that on D and we better make some moves to get an edge rusher and/or a Big DT to plug the middle. If not NE could have a field day with us running that power run game with cam, white and burkhead. 

The Bills don’t know if Zimmer is the answer based on the one-game sample size (thus the need to explore the trade market), but he held the point of attack as the one-technique and must have a spot in the lineup for as long as he keeps this up.

This is not what I have heard or saw in other reviews of the KC game.

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Me neither. He missed throws and it was talked about on the broadcast.