All-22 Grades for Bills/Chiefs (The Athletic)

HappyDays

A few snippets:

1) Edmunds doesn’t look anywhere close to his 2019 self (or even 2018)

Tremaine Edmunds has had one of the most confounding starts to the season of any Bills player. In the second half of his rookie year, Edmunds was showing signs of becoming a solid starting middle linebacker, with the potential for more. He then finished last season as a top-10 player on the roster, according to my weekly reviews, maintaining a 2.99 GPA over 1,065 snaps and averaging a “B” grade. Through almost five full starts this season, Edmunds’ level of play has dropped off so much that his GPA is a 2.02 (or “C” grade), which on this scale is well below a replacement-level player. I’ve been using this grading system for about six or seven years now. Players who consistently grade at or around those levels are usually the ones the team is looking to replace. For example, the Bills desperately tried to move on from Jordan Mills, Ryan Groy and Russell Bodine as starters after the 2018 season. That year, Mills graded better (2.12) than Edmunds is currently, while Groy (1.94) and Bodine (1.90) were only slightly below.

In an unusual move, the Bills did not dress a single one-technique defensive tackle against the Chiefs, opting to make Harrison Phillips a healthy scratch. Oliver, Quinton Jefferson, Vernon Butler and Justin Zimmer fit best in the three-technique defensive tackle role, so something had to give. The result was Oliver playing as the one-technique defensive tackle for the majority of his snaps. Of his 34 snaps, Oliver filled the one-technique role 67 percent of the time (23 snaps). 

Oliver was clearly playing out of position all game, but the Bills went with it out of self-preservation. In his few three-technique snaps, Oliver mostly won his one-on-ones. Overall, he didn’t have enough opportunities to penetrate the backfield by the Bills’ design.

3) Justin Zimmer is a revelation

Zimmer and the Bills were at their best when he lined up at one-technique. He played almost exclusively with Butler, outside of a few third-down passing plays when Mario Addison slid inside into a stand-up, three-technique position. On ten designed runs against the Butler-Zimmer pairing, the Bills allowed only 1.6 yards per carry for a total of 16 yards. Five of those ten attempts went for zero or negative yards and seven were for negative-4.

4) Chris Jones wrecked the Bills’ offensive plans

The Bills had a pair of problems on offense against Kansas City, and the two went hand in hand. Right guard Brian Winters, left guard Cody Ford and substitute left guard Ike Boettger all had some of their worst performances of the season. The player responsible for almost all of their lapses was Chiefs defensive tackle Chris Jones, who rivaled Patrick Mahomes as the most impactful player for either team.

5) Outside of some missed throws, Allen’s day wasn’t as bad as it seemed

Allen did have issues with ball placement and missed some clear throws — the Stefon Diggs throw to the end zone being the most glaring example — but it wasn’t anything too different from what we’ve seen in other games. It fits with Allen’s identity right now, and the Bills know what he does well far outweighs those bad moments.

Allen also continued to show improvements against all-out blitz attempts, reading the defense, spotting the holes in coverage and calmly delivering a quick throw. He was hard on himself after the game for the missed throws early in the game, but he was far from the Bills’ biggest problem on offense. Allen still looked like an advanced version of his 2019 self, even without the statistics to back it up. He has remained on the right track, even in two losses.

Top 5 grades: Zimmer, Butler, Morse, Beasley, Allen

Bottom 5 grades: Edmunds, Winters, Jefferson, Ford, Klein

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can someone explain to me how Vernon Butler at 330 lbs isn't a one technique?  Joe B said we didn't dress a single one technique.

I believe Jordan Phillips is even bigger and also played 3-tech mostly, filling in at 1-tech sometimes.

I couldn't tell you why. I assume it's just based on skills.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I believe Jordan Phillips is even bigger and also played 3-tech mostly, filling in at 1-tech sometimes.

I couldn't tell you why. I assume it's just based on skills.

It sounds like Harrison Phillips needs to start playing better to free up Oliver.  When Oliver is playing the 1 tech 2/3 of his game....that's a problem.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I thought Allen played fine last week but was too timid to say so.  Glad somebody else noticed that.

I wouldn't say he played well. It was his worst game of the season by far and was too much like 2019 Allen for my liking. You can't miss throws and TDs early when you're going against the Chiefs offense. Down the stretch the offense let him down more than he let them down but the 1st half struggles were mainly on him IMO. Who knows, maybe if Brown catches an accurate 3rd down throw on the first drive the whole game would have gone differently. It feels like the first 4 weeks the offense could overcome mistakes but the last 2 weeks the margin for error has been zero. The whole offense is in a funk.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I wouldn't say he played well. It was his worst game of the season by far and was too much like 2019 Allen for my liking. You can't miss throws and TDs early when you're going against the Chiefs offense. Down the stretch the offense let him down more than he let them down but the 1st half struggles were mainly on him IMO. Who knows, maybe if Brown catches an accurate 3rd down throw on the first drive the whole game would have gone differently. It feels like the first 4 weeks the offense could overcome mistakes but the last 2 weeks the margin for error has been zero. The whole offense is in a funk.

The bomb to Diggs in the endzone was a dime and a game changer...I believe there was one other deep shot that went to brown that was there as well

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The deep miss to Diggs stung, given where we’re at so far this year, and the timing miss to Beasley across the middle late in the game stung as well (though I wonder how much of that was Beasley adding extra flourish on his route and not being where Allen expected him- Allen still needs to make the throw) 

That Brown drop is the big what if for me. Josh came out not mentally where he needed to be (my biggest complaint about him so far in three years is how his emotional swings impact his play) but completions calms him down. Brown catches that and we continue to move the ball and I think we see a very different game - at least on Allen’s side of things.

• Like (+1) 4

Interesting article from Joe.  He breaks down the problems on the Bills and it’s issues at all levels but mainly the front 7.

It starts with the defensive line - in particular the DT’s.  They aren’t occupying blocks and are losing matchups.

Then the LB’s in particular Edmunds.  He isn’t reacting and when he does he’s often fooled with misdirection.  He has not been able to shed blocks very well.  Edmunds was given a D+ which was the lowest score for all players.  

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A few snippets:

Top 5 grades: Zimmer, Butler, Morse, Beasley, Allen

Bottom 5 grades: Edmunds, Winters, Jefferson, Ford, Klein

Edmunds said he will have to play with the hurt shoulder he's not making excuse for it ok that's fine but you have to make the plays you can't have it both ways 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, zevo said:

The bomb to Diggs in the endzone was a dime and a game changer...I believe there was one other deep shot that went to brown that was there as well

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we score a TD on that drive anyways?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds is going to struggle all year it seems....hopefully the shoulder gets better,  but obviously its a problem. 

49 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It seems the rain affected Allen when it didn't affect Mahomes.  Allen wasn't as composed this game as he was early on.

I don't know Mahomes has some really bad throws too... and unlike Josh he had 8 hrs in the packet due to no damn pass rush 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, gordong said:

Edmunds is going to struggle all year it seems....hopefully the shoulder gets better,  but obviously its a problem. 

I don't know Mahomes has some really bad throws too... and unlike Josh he had 8 hrs in the packet due to no damn pass rush 

Mahomes still made big throws, even under pressure.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can someone explain to me how Vernon Butler at 330 lbs isn't a one technique?  Joe B said we didn't dress a single one technique.

Just because someone is big doesn't make them the type of player who can anchor and not be moved in the middle of the defense. It comes down to knowing how to use that weight effectively and gaining leverage. If a player doesn't have the ability to do that the player won't be effective there.

I mean yeah 330 lbs is a heavy weight but the 2 players double teaming him are about 650 lbs.

On a separate note, I don't get why the Bills didn't try and bring pressure until the end of the game when they had to. It was actually effective and some of their best plays on defense were when they brought extra guys instead of sitting back and letting Mahomes pick them apart of break contain and run.

Edited by matter2003

10 minutes ago, gordong said:

he was 21-26

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Just because someone is big doesn't make them the type of player who can anchor and not be moved in the middle of the defense. It comes down to knowing how to use that weight effectively and gaining leverage. If a player doesn't have the ability to do that the player won't be effective there.

I mean yeah 330 lbs is a heavy weight but the 2 players double teaming him are about 650 lbs.

On a separate note, I don't get why the Bills didn't try and bring pressure until the end of the game when they had to. It was actually effective and some of their best plays on defense were when they brought extra guys instead of sitting back and letting Mahomes pick them apart of break contain and run.

I understand that but Ed Oliver played mostly at 1 tech and 650 lbs probably can move 290 lbs easier than 330 lbs.  

We only sent more than 4 guys just once and KC had a big gain.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It seems the rain affected Allen when it didn't affect Mahomes.  Allen wasn't as composed this game as he was early on.

The announcers mentioned many times that the rain was affecting Mahomes. He missed a bunch of throws too.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I understand that but Ed Oliver played mostly at 1 tech and 650 lbs probably can move 290 lbs easier than 330 lbs.  

We only sent more than 4 guys just once and KC had a big gain.  

A lot of those run stops were run blitzes where extra guys were coming.