Realistic Trade Scenario- One player

McBean

23 hours ago, Chemical said:

Good 

Anyone saying any DT is still ignoring the fact that it’s a part-time position in this defense. 

how do you not still understand that investing in the DT position is a waste of assets? 

You're right, we usually just go with 4 DE's every play. How silly of me.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:45 PM, McBean said:

Who’s the one player you want in a realistic trade? (Not madden)

For me it’s Evan Engram. 

The Giants suck so I think they would be willing to listen.

Engram would be a perfect fit for this offense and we are in desperate need for a TE.

I’d be ok with sending them a third.

Who would you like?

Mcbean, go get me Christian McCaffrey and TJ Watt

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Logic said:

In GB’s case, Jackson hasn’t adapted well to their man-heavy scheme. He’s not a plus player for them. Here’s an article from a year ago about his struggles and diminished playing time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lombardiave.com/2019/10/24/packers-happened-josh-jackson/amp/

The hope, of course, is that he’s a better fit for what McDermott likes to do. He’s a rangy, long limbed player with good instincts and a nose for the ball — or at least he was at Iowa.

He’s certainly a bad fit for GBs scheme. The issue with prying him away is that Kevin King is injured & out, Alexander is playing injured, and Savage (safety) is injured as well. I doubt GB let’s Jackson go for a draft pick. Probably have to be a player for player trade that fixes a hole somewhere for GB...... a Nsekhe comes to mind since Baktiari is injured. 

As for how Jackson would fit here....

He is at his best playing off ball in a zone defense. He’s a bit stiff, and too slow to excel in man. He does have good burst and it shows. He’s also effective if he can get the ball in his hands and is competent returning punts. Honestly, he’s physically very similar to another former Hawkeye - Micah Hyde - in size and combine performance.

We should be looking for players who are on teams on sale like NO, Philly, Giants, MN, and Jests etc.  Either way over the cap, or they are going nowhere.  

I understand Q. Williams, even Ertz although hurt, or one of the MN guys, but NO’s guys are old.  Guys like McCafrey, and Cox are either too expensive or would never be dealt ever.

Thats like previous years we had posters saying trade for Rodgers.  Like that would happen.  

With Norman out and Wallace on IR, we are VERY weak at that outside CB spot, but who could come right in and play? It would have to be someone that played for McDermott before and I have no idea who that might be, if anyone. I still can't believe they just let Spain walk. I bet they're regretting that move now. I honestly don't see Beane panicking, though. We'll probably just ride this injury bug out and hope we can still make it to the postseason relatively intact.

17 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

Quentin William from Jets

He has shown almost nothing so far. He's been no better than an average DT. I'd rather draft a DT next Spring.

Edited by GreggTX

I didn’t take this thread that seriously given the available cap, and cap next year, but there is an article in the SU paper this morning about a possible trade for Dalvin Tomlinson (Giants), or Tim Settle (Washington).  Tomlinson is a little over $1.1 mil, and the made the comment Settle is even cheaper, about $800k, and is the 5th best rated DT against the run.  He’s under contract through 2021 as well, so this is one that does make sense.  We can afford this contract, need help against the run badly, and kind of fills the Star role.  If he works out really well, I’m not sure of any cap savings cutting Star.  I’m not advocating that as I like Star, but it’s a consideration if Settle immediately made our run defense significantly better.  Allows the other guys who are more of a 3 technique player to do their job.

Read the article guys as it’s on the main board and tell me you’re thoughts.  I just like plugging a hole with a very manageable contract that doesn’t rob from next year that much.  Why they stated he could be available is the Red....., are so deep on their line, and they are now at 1-5 in their record.  Then, the reporter made the comment that Rivera and McD have a strong relationship and would be most likely willing to work with each other on a reasonable trade.

He was convincing to me, and he stated could make more sense than Tomlinson especially as we’d have a young DT for two years, not one with Settle.  I liked it as it was smart and affordable.  It’s better than silly comments about players that would never be traded and is not incredibly expensive that we can’t afford.