Realistic Trade Scenario- One player

McBean

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If you do that I don’t think you can also resign Edmunds. 

Good 

Anyone saying any DT is still ignoring the fact that it’s a part-time position in this defense. 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd be down for sending a 3rd(2021) & 5th(2022) to the Jets for QW. A younger 1 tech teamed with Ed would be a great tandem. We'd have to find a creative way out of Star's contract. The most urgent problem with this team today is the DL. We can't wait till next year. 

how do you not still understand that investing in the DT position is a waste of assets? 

9 hours ago, delirious said:

Geno Atkins 

We need a good defensive lineman. Cincy isn't going anywhere this year with how the Steelers and Ravens are playing. 

I like this idea, and any scenario involving a Linebacker.

Really, any help in the front seven on defense.

I like the Desmond King mention. I think a corner would probably be ideal if we're only getting one player. I'd settle for a depth LB or DT as well. I liked the Tomlinson idea as a realistic DT option.

I would absolutely love to get Quinnen Williams but I'm guessing the Jets would just keep him before they trade him to us.

Kyle Rudolph, TE, Vikings

Not a blockbuster, but it'd shore up that position. Without a running game, the Bills need that TE position to be a realistic threat for the opposing defense. Relying on the receivers to do it all is one dimensional.

I understand the urge to trade for players, especially with the team struggling the last few games. However, it is generally not a good idea to trade draft picks for veteran players. Teams trading players are usually doing it for a reason (eg. player locker room issue, unhappy about contract, aging and no longer playing at previous level). 

So what generally happens when a team trades for a player at the deadline is that they get a veteran on an expiring contract or a contract the player wants renegotiated. Teams giving up draft picks for half season rentals or players they then have to pay generally do not make sense. Teams need to build through the draft as that is the only way a team can acquire young talent at a cheap cost. 

Look at the Khalil Mack trade that the Raiders got blasted for a few years back. 2 first round picks and a huge contract had to be handed out. Is Mack a great player, yes. But he is just one player and not a quarterback so the Bears have not really been any closer to winning a championship with him and now they lost 2 first round draft picks and allocated a significant amount of cap dollars to a  single defensive player. Teams trading a player like Mack don’t win the trade the day they make it but almost always win it down the road. 

Another example is our very own Kelvin Benjamin. There was a reason Carolina traded him for a 3rd. At the time, the move felt necessary but pretty quickly we realized we would be better off having another young draft pick like Singletary, Knox, Moss etc. rather than a Benjamin that ended up being a complete waste of a day 2 pick. 

A non deadline deal, such as the Diggs trade, is also beginning to show the potential dangers even when the player being traded for is good. Diggs has been just about as good as advertised but unless he helps us win the Super Bowl this year, it probably ends up favoring the Vikings. Jefferson was the next Wr in the draft and the player we could have selected at that spot in a deep wr draft. Jefferson will be a cap value for the next 4 years and even on his 5th year option and he has been good. While Diggs has a pretty reasonable contract for a vet it still costs us another premium lineman or safety free agent contract plus the other cheap labor mid round picks we gave up. It was a pretty costly deal even with Diggs producing and all it takes is at the end of the year or the next for Diggs to hold out asking for another contract like most every top vet player does and this becomes a not so good deal for the Bills. Pay market value (meaning the team gets no value as player is being paid at or more their worth) or he becomes distraction or is traded himself. I understand Diggs was a sure thing but whenever trading for a vet it is also a sure thing that the contract is a problem or will become a problem to the point where the player cannot perform at the level necessary to be a value at their contract. 

Are there deals that can work, sure. Sometimes teams are having fire sales and accumulating as many draft picks as they can but unless that player is going to be essential to winning a Super Bowl that year, it is better to hold onto the picks. 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Not a blockbuster, but it'd shore up that position. Without a running game, the Bills need that TE position to be a realistic threat for the opposing defense. Relying on the receivers to do it all is one dimensional.

That’s a sneaky good idea I hadn’t heard yet.

12 hours ago, McBean said:

Who’s the one player you want in a realistic trade? (Not madden)

For me it’s Evan Engram. 

The Giants suck so I think they would be willing to listen.

Engram would be a perfect fit for this offense and we are in desperate need for a TE.

I’d be ok with sending them a third.

Who would you like?

Just for his postgame remarks last night ("it's a sucky feeling...") Engram and his potential Bills candidacy are banished to Rura Penthe. 😠
😁

About 4 dudes on the giants DL I wouldn’t mind trading for:

Markus Golden, DE

Leonard Williams, DT (would be a three tech here so probably not a great fit) 

Dexter Lawrence, DT (sure they won’t trade him) 

BJ Hill, DT (big dude) 

Dalvin Tomlinson, DT (my preference) 

Ideally, Tomlinson would be great and right now is the time to do it as he could clear covid protocols and be available for the Pats game.

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What would GB's or the Rams motivation to move these guys be?

In GB’s case, Jackson hasn’t adapted well to their man-heavy scheme. He’s not a plus player for them. Here’s an article from a year ago about his struggles and diminished playing time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lombardiave.com/2019/10/24/packers-happened-josh-jackson/amp/

The hope, of course, is that he’s a better fit for what McDermott likes to do. He’s a rangy, long limbed player with good instincts and a nose for the ball — or at least he was at Iowa.

In the Chargers’ case, King is in the last year of his deal. He would only be available if they don’t plan to re-sign him to an extension.

5 hours ago, dpberr said:

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

That’s a sneaky good idea I hadn’t heard yet.

Bills have 3.5 mil in cap space. Rudolph is at 7.5 mil this season. Bills can’t afford him.