Why did Gregg Williams fail as a Head Coach?

JetsFan20

There are several reasons for Gregg Williams failing.

Going back to his first year, Williams took over a team that clearly didn't need a full-blown rebuild.  Two years earlier, the Bills had finished 11-5 and were considered a Super Bowl contender.  The next year, they finished 8-8.  But they still had tons of talent and one of the best defenses in the NFL.  Most fans believed they just needed stronger leadership than Wade Phillips to get back to premiere status in the AFC.  But Williams (and GM Tom Donahoe) came in and totally dismantled the franchise.  They got rid of fan-favorite Doug Flutie at QB, blew up our massively successful 3-4 defense and proceeded to finish their first season 3-13.

In my opinion, Donahoe did a pretty good job of stockpiling talent over the next couple years.  The 2002-2003 Bills teams were actually pretty loaded with Pro-Bowlers.  Drew Bledsoe, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, etc.  But it never really came together on the field.  Building a team is like assembling a puzzle.  Each coach has a different idea scheme/system, along with a different style and personality.  To succeed, that coach needs to not only have talented players.... but also have players that fit into the puzzle that he's creating.  For some reason, our talent just never meshed with what Williams wanted to do.

Of course, all of these events also coincided with the emergence of the Patriots/Belichick/Brady, making it extremely difficult for anybody in the AFC East to have a real chance at winning that division.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mango said:

He is a very good defensive coach. Almost always solid.

1. They also play dirty.

2. He is a total POS.

Because of 1 and 2 he can’t be in charge because he loses the roster quickly.

Also because of 1 and 2, he needs the right HC to control that. 

I'm on board with this.  I don't think he has evolved much with the game, but at his best his defense gives offenses a lot to think about.  But besides Xs and Os he has nothing to recommend him to a head coaching position, and a head coach needs more.  In fact X's and Os is less important to a head coach than the ability to identify and hire  coordinators with a good command of Xs and Os.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

There are several reasons for Gregg Williams failing.

Going back to his first year, Williams took over a team that clearly didn't need a full-blown rebuild.  Two years earlier, the Bills had finished 11-5 and were considered a Super Bowl contender.  The next year, they finished 8-8.  But they still had tons of talent and one of the best defenses in the NFL.  Most fans believed they just needed stronger leadership than Wade Phillips to get back to premiere status in the AFC.  But Williams (and GM Tom Donahoe) came in and totally dismantled the franchise.  They got rid of fan-favorite Doug Flutie at QB, blew up our massively successful 3-4 defense and proceeded to finish their first season 3-13.

In my opinion, Donahoe did a pretty good job of stockpiling talent over the next couple years.  The 2002-2003 Bills teams were actually pretty loaded with Pro-Bowlers.  Drew Bledsoe, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, etc.  But it never really came together on the field.  Building a team is like assembling a puzzle.  Each coach has a different idea scheme/system, along with a different style and personality.  To succeed, that coach needs to not only have talented players.... but also have players that fit into the puzzle that he's creating.  For some reason, our talent just never meshed with what Williams wanted to do.

Of course, all of these events also coincided with the emergence of the Patriots/Belichick/Brady, making it extremely difficult for anybody in the AFC East to have a real chance at winning that division.

You touch on a lot of history here.  Some of it I have forgotten.  I thought Wade was a decent coach.  He wasn't the greatest thinker of the time but his teams played well and were usually prepared.  And he had an overall winning record in Buffalo.  He was done in by the Johnson/Flutie debate of the time and his refusal to fire an assistant which led to Ralph Wilson firing Wade.  In my view, after the heartbreaking playoff loss, this was the event that sent to Bills into the abyss of the NFL basement for the next 15 seasons.  

Donahoe was a good personnel guy but he was very sensitive to any potential incursions on his turf and power within the organization after what looked like being odd-man-out in Pittsburgh.  Enter Gregg Williams, a successful defensive coordinator for the hated Titans of the Illegal forward pass era.  A guy described at the time as very well prepared and ready to assume the head coaching job.  He just seemed to be an over-bearing authoritarian type coach that might play out in certain situations but over time wore out his welcome with the players.  Especially when all the bravado and talk didn't translate to winning.  He was let go soon after. 

Good managers or coaches learn and adjust their styles and approach over time to fit the situation.  But Gregg doesn't seem to be one of them.  His routine doesn't play well to the current crop of players.  They are more vocal and opinionated on how the team should be run.  This can be both bad and good.  I think part of their outspoken character is driven by the huge gains in compensation and player freedoms compared to previous era's.  Simply, a guy with $20M in guaranteed money is going to be feel a lot freer to provide his view than a guy on a non-guaranteed minimum contract.  The other part of it is the current players are more aware and informed on what's going on around them inside and outside the game.  In summary I don't expect any team will come calling for Williams about any head coaching vacancies, ever. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe because he is stupid? 

he’s the type of person who is sort of good at one thing and doesn’t realize he is a blithering moron at everything else, there’s lots of folk like him in our world, sadly many are allowed to do things only thinking adults should do...

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree with nearly everything you wrote.  The only thing I disagree with is that he is a decent coordinator.  He's dirty. He coaches players to play dirty, whether there is a bounty involved, or not.  I don't think he has any place in the NFL and I think it's disgraceful that he's employed in any capacity  He's bad for the game.

I guess you are right.  But something to remember  (I m not defending him...I can't stand the guy), some of the "dirty" things he has been associated with, were not necessarily considered "dirty" at one time. We never heard (that I remember anyways) any stories about him being dirty, until he got to New Orleans.  What was acceptable, or at least tolerated with a nod and a wink at one time, is now completely unacceptable...if exposed.   Bill Parcells, Buddy Ryan...a lot of the legendary coaches from bygone eras built their reputations using similar tactics as Williams.  I remember Parcells admitting as much, at one time...and then backed off of it, because the backlash he got. I still think NFL players are tough as nails...but the game is just a little "softer" now, for lack of a better word.  Gregg Williams is just the wrong man, in the wrong time.  If the bulk of his career had been in the 1980's and 1990's he would be thought of in better terms, or just forgotten about.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

...indignant, obnoxious, arrogant, air horned, condescending, just for starters....all traits that have followed him, yet STILL employed...SMH...and DIRTY.......he was Tom Terrific Donohoe's hire at a whopping 900 grand a year......same as what the Rockpile Beerman makes AND better than Greggy......

21 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Fake tough guy.

Character-challenged.

Lombardi-era leadership instincts don't relate well to today's player.

Any other questions?

Big difference between Lombardi and Gregg Williams though.  Lombardi's players absolutely loved and respected the hell out of that guy.  Gregg Williams was just a prick.

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:16 PM, JetsFan20 said:

After the stunt he pulled last week his coaching career in the NFL is likely over. 

It has been fifteen years but can you reflect on the Williams administration?

What was his leadership style like?

Why did ultimately fail?

Why did he not get another permanent head coaching job?

How do Buffalo fans perceive him?

He is an over officious jerk.

• Like (+1) 1

I think he failed because of his GM Tom Donahoe. Ole Tom lost a power struggle in Pittsburgh with Bill Cowher and he replaced John Butler in Buffalo as GM in 1991. It all starts at the top in my view. 

Trading for Drew Beldsoe wasn't a bad move but he didn't following it up with getting him the protection that he needed to succeed. If Bledsoe had time in the pocket he would tear teams a new one with Eric Moulds, Josh Reed. They even had Kevin Gilbride as OC. 

The problem was that once you hit Bledsoe a few times in a game it would take him out of his game and he couldn't usually get into a rhythm as he would see, hear phantom sackers. It's why Belicheat traded him to a divisional rival. Bledsoe needed a top O line to defend him.

It not like Donahoe didn't try to upgrade the O line by drafting tackle Mike Williams, it's just that his talent evaluation on tackles stunk as he missed on T Bryant McKinnie. He also drafted JP Losman...

Donahoe did draft some really good players in his time in Buffalo like Lee Evans, Eric Moulds, Willis McGahee, Travis Kelsay, Nate Clements, Aaron Schobel, Travis Henry. 

Williams finished his second season in Buffalo at 8-8 when 9-7 took the division by the Jets, the Patriots and Dolphins were both 9-7 too.