Why did Gregg Williams fail as a Head Coach?

JetsFan20

Greggggggggggg Williams is a flaming, puckered, hairy hemorrhoidal infrastructure.  Remember the "We're going to have a defense like you've never seen in Buffalo".  He was right, he took one of the top defenses in the NFL and dragged it all the way to the bottom in a single year.  Not a leader of men in any way, shape, or form.  As his career continued outside Buffalo, he was exposed as a dirty POS, advocating tactics to create injuries in opponents.  This guy should have been run out the NFL ages ago.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

He is a very good defensive coach. Almost always solid.

1. They also play dirty.

2. He is a total POS.

I think his reputation as a good DC is running on fumes at this point, and that reputation far surpasses his results. (I heartily agree though on points # 1 and #2.) I think he has maintained that reputation on the dirty play. He always has his guys head hunting, so they seem like a tough, hard-hitting defense. But they aren't disciplined, they're just dirty.

Yes, he had 3 seasons where he had an elite defense. And he had 6 seasons overall with a top 10 defense, but that is out of 22 years of being a DC or HC. So, only 27% of his career did he have a top 10 defense. The rest of his career, outside of maybe 2019, his defenses have been middle of the pack or worse (or for 70% of his career). And he hasn't had a top 10 defense in almost a decade. As I said in another thread. He is way more trouble than he is worth. I don't know why teams keep hiring him.

Year

Team

Title

Yards Allowed Rank

Points Allowed Rank

TEN

DC

TEN

DC

TEN

DC

TEN

DC

BUF

HC

BUF

HC

BUF

HC

WAS

DC

WAS

DC

WAS

DC

WAS

DC

JAX

DC

NOR

DC

NOR

DC

NOR

DC

STL

DC

STL

DC

LAR

DC

CLE

DC

CLE

HC/DC

NYJ

DC

NYJ

DC

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JetsFan20 said:

It sounds like he isn’t well liked by Bill fans. It’s surprising that he would publicly call out Gase and the offense knowing he was run out of a head coaching job. 

He only cares about himself.

Its really no surprise that your team is a 5 alarm tire fire it starts at the top

1 hour ago, folz said:

I think his reputation as a good DC is running on fumes at this point, and that reputation far surpasses his results. (I heartily agree though on points # 1 and #2.) I think he has maintained that reputation on the dirty play. He always has his guys head hunting, so they seem like a tough, hard-hitting defense. But they aren't disciplined, they're just dirty.

Yes, he had 3 seasons where he had an elite defense. And he had 6 seasons overall with a top 10 defense, but that is out of 22 years of being a DC or HC. So, only 27% of his career did he have a top 10 defense. The rest of his career, outside of maybe 2019, his defenses have been middle of the pack or worse (or for 70% of his career). And he hasn't had a top 10 defense in almost a decade. As I said in another thread. He is way more trouble than he is worth. I don't know why teams keep hiring him.

Year

Team

Title

Yards Allowed Rank

Points Allowed Rank

TEN

DC

TEN

DC

TEN

DC

TEN

DC

BUF

HC

BUF

HC

BUF

HC

WAS

DC

WAS

DC

WAS

DC

WAS

DC

JAX

DC

NOR

DC

NOR

DC

NOR

DC

STL

DC

STL

DC

LAR

DC

CLE

DC

CLE

HC/DC

NYJ

DC

NYJ

DC

Nice pattern 

I remember Coach Chuck Dickerson used to call him “the mouse that roared” because at the time he was little skinny guy who yelled during practice and talked so tough .

The odd thing about Gregggggg-o was that in 2002 the Bills had a pretty good offense led by Drew Bledsoe, Eric Moulds, Peerless Price, and big Travis Henry.  The problem was...you guessed it.... defense.  His defense was the team’s undoing in 2002.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buftex said:

What exactly was the "stunt" he pulled last week?  Pointing fingers at the offense?

As I remember he was a fairly abbrasive and grating personality.  If a guy is going to have such a strong personality, he has to win, or he isn't going to last long as an  NFL headcoach.  Personally, I think he is a decent coordinator, but I think the reason he has never received another head coaching job is his ego has always seem to gotten him in hot water with the head coach of any stop he has made, since Buffalo.  You don't work well with others, nobody really wants to let you run the show. It is a results and word of mouth business.  The only successful program he has been affillliated since leaving Buffalo, was the Saints, and he embarassed that franchise.  The only jobs he has been able to get are with bad franchises, with coaches that are perpetually on "the hot seat".

I agree with nearly everything you wrote.  The only thing I disagree with is that he is a decent coordinator.  He's dirty. He coaches players to play dirty, whether there is a bounty involved, or not.  I don't think he has any place in the NFL and I think it's disgraceful that he's employed in any capacity  He's bad for the game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Greggo Williams is one of the biggest %%%%%%% in the history of NFL coaching.  All bluster and bully - ZERO in his background to back it up.

As soon as anyone half as tough as Mr. Miagi shows up, he gets put in his place.

Greggo never played ball himself, and never coached at a high level in college - the perfect background to be a loud mouth "tough guy" - who coaches his players to play dirty and injure their opponents.

Don't hate on the military - they are real men making real sacrifices.  Greggo is a bogus POS.

never do I hate the military

7 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

After the stunt he pulled last week his coaching career in the NFL is likely over. 

It has been fifteen years but can you reflect on the Williams administration?

What was his leadership style like?

Why did ultimately fail?

Why did he not get another permanent head coaching job?

How do Buffalo fans perceive him?

He hasn't even lost his Jets job, much less his career.

He came in in Buffalo using air horns to wake guys up at training camp like they were misbehaving 12 year olds. But he learned, got better.

Like many or most Bills coaches since Jim Kelly retired, Greggo's problem involved bad quarterbacking and also a bad OL. They drafted Mike Williams at LT to work on their OL woes and he turned out to be a wildly unmotivated guy, couldn't even get to meetings on time, much less practice hard.

The D was kicking butt and taking names by the end of his time here but the offense was bad. They had Rob Johnson as his QB first year, followed by Bledsoe as his legs calcified and nobody else to speak of. The OL had Ruben Brown, Jonas Jennings, and two guys who just weren't good enough and Williams, so the left side was very good, but the right was poor. Good D which steadily improved, no O, and bad drafting, although the draft his first year was really good. But after that, nada. He was paired here with a poor GM, Donahoe.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He hasn't even lost his Jets job, much less his career.

He came in in Buffalo using air horns to wake guys up at training camp like they were misbehaving 12 year olds. But he learned, got better.

Like many or most Bills coaches since Jim Kelly retired, Greggo's problem involved bad quarterbacking and also a bad OL. They drafted Mike Williams at LT to work on their OL woes and he turned out to be a wildly unmotivated guy, couldn't even get to meetings on time, much less practice hard.

The D was kicking butt and taking names by the end of his time here but the offense was bad. They had Rob Johnson as his QB first year, followed by Bledsoe as his legs calcified and nobody else to speak of. The OL had Ruben Brown, Jonas Jennings, and two guys who just weren't good enough and Williams, so the left side was very good, but the right was poor. Good D which steadily improved, no O, and bad drafting, although the draft his first year was really good. But after that, nada. He was paired here with a poor GM, Donahoe.

I hate this argument. The talent may stink but is the coach doing anything to help the players he has?

My exact issue with Gase from the start. 

11 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

After the stunt he pulled last week his coaching career in the NFL is likely over. 

It has been fifteen years but can you reflect on the Williams administration?

What was his leadership style like?

Why did ultimately fail?

Why did he not get another permanent head coaching job?

How do Buffalo fans perceive him?

Losing Pat Williams, I'll admit at the time I thought that Ron Edwards had some promise so letting Pat walk was a smart decision. In retrospect it wasn't.

He was a big phony. Ego and an uncomfortable amount of hubris, even as losses piled up.

I bet if you asked him what went wrong in Buffalo today, there'd still be no self reflection from him on what he could have done better. He never gets head coaching opportunities because he never evolved as a person. Same ol Gregg.

Rex Ryan is in this boat too, mind you. 

• Like (+1) 1