Why did Gregg Williams fail as a Head Coach?

JetsFan20

After the stunt he pulled last week his coaching career in the NFL is likely over. 

It has been fifteen years but can you reflect on the Williams administration?

What was his leadership style like?

Why did ultimately fail?

Why did he not get another permanent head coaching job?

How do Buffalo fans perceive him?

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m not sure how many people like being yelled at by a bull horn first thing in the morning.  🤷‍♂️

I’m in the “no thank you camp” on that one. Hard to overcome such a lousy start. That’s a pretty poor wake up call. I’d have hated him in the first 30 seconds once I knew what was happening. Don’t be a $%#^. We are grown men and deserve some respect. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

After the stunt he pulled last week his coaching career in the NFL is likely over. 

Why did ultimately fail?

What exactly was the "stunt" he pulled last week?  Pointing fingers at the offense?

As I remember he was a fairly abbrasive and grating personality.  If a guy is going to have such a strong personality, he has to win, or he isn't going to last long as an  NFL headcoach.  Personally, I think he is a decent coordinator, but I think the reason he has never received another head coaching job is his ego has always seem to gotten him in hot water with the head coach of any stop he has made, since Buffalo.  You don't work well with others, nobody really wants to let you run the show. It is a results and word of mouth business.  The only successful program he has been affillliated since leaving Buffalo, was the Saints, and he embarassed that franchise.  The only jobs he has been able to get are with bad franchises, with coaches that are perpetually on "the hot seat".

Edited by Buftex

13 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Why did ultimately fail?

I recall him being an ultimate hard ass.  Trying way to hard with faux machismo.

but really it was 2003.

oh man...Bledsos, Moulds, Reed, Brown, Spikes, Fletcher, Clements, McGee, Sam Adams...

Fans weren’t walking to the OTB to place Super Bowl bets...they...were...running.

and then week 1...31-0 pounding of Super Bowl Champ Patriots.

They only won 5 more after that and in such Bills fashion lost 31-0 to New England in final game.

Greggo Williams is one of the biggest %%%%%%% in the history of NFL coaching.  All bluster and bully - ZERO in his background to back it up.

As soon as anyone half as tough as Mr. Miagi shows up, he gets put in his place.

Greggo never played ball himself, and never coached at a high level in college - the perfect background to be a loud mouth "tough guy" - who coaches his players to play dirty and injure their opponents.

13 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Maybe he's a military man with that sort of mindset? Hey,I know....what's long and hard, and full of seamen? Gregg.

Gregg is "sub" human. 

Don't hate on the military - they are real men making real sacrifices.  Greggo is a bogus POS.

Edited by BobChalmers

He is a very good defensive coach. Almost always solid.

1. They also play dirty.

2. He is a total POS.

Because of 1 and 2 he can’t be in charge because he loses the roster quickly.

Also because of 1 and 2, he needs the right HC to control that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

He is a very good defensive coach. Almost always solid.

1. They also play dirty.

2. He is a total POS.

Because of 1 and 2 he can’t be in charge because he loses the roster quickly.

Also because of 1 and 2, he needs the right HC to control that. 

Really?  His defenses are nothing special to me.  Lots of chaos and guys out of position.  They bully bad offenses and young quarterbacks and that’s about it.

• Like (+1) 1

He failed because he never found a franchise QB in Buffalo. If he had drafted Drew Brees like he said he wanted to in 2002, there's a chance they are both still here.

Greggo was a great 90s head coach. A tough, no nonsense ####### to whip the bastards into shape. Hell, his bounty system would have won him COTY honors in the 90s.

The game has changed. Players are more outspoken and that kind of coaching doesn't work anymore.

Edited by LikeIGiveADarn
  • Like (+1) 1