Thurs Night Football: NYG (1-5) at Philly (1-4-1) 8:20 NFLN Amazon and FOX

3 minutes ago, billsherd said:

It looked to me like he got too excited just pushed himself too much in the beginning of the run. He ran out of gas. 

He was trying to catch up with himself

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

why would he try to return that punt??

Why the hell would they have him back there?

• Like (+1) 2

TNF reflections on a bright, sunny, yet cool Friday morning from London....

1. This was ultimately a game about Quarterbacking and decided by Quarterbacking. But more of that to come later....

2. Whether Joe Judge can coach or not remains to be seen. He has a bit of a look of someone who might be in over his head.... but, one thing you have to give him, is that is the 4th Giants game I have watched in its entirety this season and they are out there playing hard and competing for him. They are undertalented in a lot of spots but they have been in almost every game and they are fighting. That is at least something to build on.

3. The problem I think the Giants have is they are not really complimentary. They are trying to play a bend and don't break zone scheme on defense. A lot of cover two shell, trying to keep the ball in front of them. That means generally to score on them it is going to take longer more methodical drives. The issue with that scheme is it means your defense is on the field a lot.... especially if you can't sustain drives on offense..... and they can't.

4. Why can't the Giants sustain drives on offense? Because primarily they want to run the ball and their run blocking is Bills level bad. Gallman actually had some nice runs in the second half but they were generally a result of him making the first guy miss. Freeman is not a fit for them at this stage of his career because he doesn't have that same wiggle and if you just run where the play is supposed to go behind this line you are stopped for no gain more often than not.

5. The Eagles defense seems to be the same it has always been. Darius Slay is excellent and has made some plays for them but generally offense are adjusting by just staying away from him and they can do that because the rest of the secondary is pretty horrible. They do have players up front though. Derek Barnett is really emerging and Fletcher Cox and the ageless Brandon Graham are still good players who can win 1v1.

6. So.… the Quarterbacks.....

Daniel Jones is a guy who does so many things right. He has a nice base, he generally gets himself balanced before he throws, the ball comes out on time and when he gets protection he makes good decisions. The problem is the same one I thought he had when he was coming out..... so few plays in the NFL are those perfect dropback, set your feet, with protection and ball out plays. When things get messier and his process gets rushed his decision making falls apart and he doesn't have the natural physical ability to make plays. He is good enough right until the moment you need him to be better than good enough..... and then he is no longer even good enough. The turf trip he had on his long run kind of encapsulates Daniel Jones for me.... so much of it is right..... but at the crunch moment.... it just goes wrong.

Contrast that with Carson Wentz.... I really don't know where to start. This was the good, the bad and the extremely beeping ugly in one go. All the Carson Classics were there.... the inexcusable high throws to running backs on swing routes and check downs.... the holding the ball for days at a time.... the throwing on the back pedal.... the spinning out of clean pockets and the downright ugly inaccuracy. Pretty much all of which were on display in one play with the pick he threw in the endzone. And yet. And yet. And yet..... Carson Wentz is the reason Philly won last night. The throws before the half (I know they missed the field goal) to Jackson and Fulgham were beautiful. The deep ball to Hightower on the first of the two late touchdown drives was a perfectly placed clutch throw and then the two touchdown passes to Greg Ward and Bart Scott were on the money.  With Wentz it is almost like so much of it is so bad and so wrong..... until you really need it to be right.... and then at times it is brilliantly right. Whether at the end of this game or the story of his 2019 season encapsulated. I would not want to be the franchise that has hitched my waggon to Wentz - but one thing I don't think his critics (and I include myself in that) can deny is the bigger the moment it does seem the better he plays.

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Anyone else get a twitch of good feeling seeing Brandon Graham end a game with a strip sack? Takes me back to ol Marcia getting clowned. 

Nope. Was genuinely one of my least favourite Superbowl moments. I really dislike the Patriots and Brady. But I really freaking HATE the Philadelphia freaking Eagles.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2