Ed Oliver vs Quinnen Williams

JetsFan20

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

Our D line has two different DT positions, meaning they are asked to do different things. The 1 tech is asked to eat up blocks and maintain the line of scrimmage / keep blockers from getting a free run into the second level (linebackers) - this is normally Star's role. The 3 tech is usually more aggressive at getting into the backfield and being a disrupter. Ed was drafted to be the 3 tech but since he is our best DT at doing the 1 tech job (because Star opted out) he is being asked to do that. 

Thank you!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

yep.  Oliver playing the Jeff Wright role.   undersized for what he is asked to do and getting blown up most of the time by double teams.

He must be saying to himself, "this is the sh-t I had to do in college... and these guys are way bigger and better... WTF?"  Missing Star L very much he is.   Beane drafted him to move him to 3 tech.  Not happening until next year it seems....

Never understood the undersized DT philosophy.  Either you've got maulers who can hold up at the point of attack and absorb double teams, or you've got freaks of nature like Warren Sapp or Aaron Donald who can do it all.

Belichick has never done the undersized DL thing.  His DEs are always in the 270-300 range, and his DTs are portapottys with legs. They play in front of oversized MLBs that run blitz like crazy.  How.many years did we spend watching Teddy Bruschi, Jerod Mayo and Donta Hightower blow up our OGs?

Edited by Coffeesforclosers

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do the Jets have Quinnen lining up as a DE in a 3/4? It looked that way to me.

If so, he would be much better as a penetrating DT, based on what I have seen from him at Alabama.

Not sure a 3-4 NT is the same as a 1-Tech and him playing 3-4 End has nothing whether he can handle the 1-tech.  The only issue would be if he would accept that role as far as playing goes.

23 hours ago, Billl said:

You think the Jets are afraid of losing the game because of the trade?  They’re in tank mode.  They WANT to lose.  He’s easily worth a second round pick, and he’s a significantly better player than EO.

The players on the Jets don't want to lose, and the coaches CERTAINLY don't want to lose.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:01 PM, DasNootz said:

He pays NJ taxes... he’d actually pay a little less in Buffalo.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:02 PM, aristocrat said:

it depends where is home residence is which might be alabama where he's from. if that's the case he pays their tax rate. especially with covid this year i'd imagine he stayed down their for most of the year. 

Both technically correct, the other part is game checks in other states, that get taxed where the income is earned.. such a cluster.

5 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Never understood the undersized DT philosophy.  Either you've got maulers who can hold up at the point of attack and absorb double teams, or you've got freaks of nature like Warren Sapp or Aaron Donald who can do it all.

Belichick has never done the undersized DL thing.  His DEs are always in the 270-300 range, and his DTs are portapottys with legs. They play in front of oversized MLBs that run blitz like crazy.  How.many years did we spend watching Teddy Bruschi, Jerod Mayo and Donta Hightower blow up our OGs?

Donald is undersized at 6'0 280.  Yes he is very strong, as are many of the guys down there.  Donalds got insanely good hands, and insanely quick motions - so he isn't really a fair comparison but i don't know that size is everything as a DT.

If you just plug big heavies in there - yes they can anchor well against the run, but they aren't quick or dynamic to create issues rushing the passer.  Now you have mahomes with all day to throw so... im not sure what is worse.

Edited by dneveu

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The players on the Jets don't want to lose, and the coaches CERTAINLY don't want to lose.

None of those guys are the GM.

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

How do you know people don't watch football games other than the Bills? 

They want to trade for Quinnen Williams. 

Yet again, I’m amazed that anyone other than the Bills ever win a game.  Only the Bills have good players, after all.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Yet again, I’m amazed that anyone other than the Bills ever win a game.  Only the Bills have good players, after all.

What the hell are you talking about? Quinnen Williams is a lump. He doesn't get penetration, he doesn't soak up blockers, his stats are horrendous and he's missed games in both season due to injury. I'm interested in what you've seen about him you've seen where he's been good? He had one game where he showed up in 1 and a half years. 

I'm guessing you haven't which is why you use a general statement that wasn't something I said to try broaden your argument instead of staying focused on things that I've said and Quinnen Williams as a player. 

Edited by jeremy2020

14 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do the Jets have Quinnen lining up as a DE in a 3/4? It looked that way to me.

If so, he would be much better as a penetrating DT, based on what I have seen from him at Alabama.

Williams is lined up all over the plants. Williams uses multiple fronts. 

Like I said he’s been pretty good this year, but it looks like the plan is to build around a new QB. The Jets don’t want to make the same mistake they made with Darnold. 

• Like (+1) 1