Ed Oliver vs Quinnen Williams

JetsFan20

Honestly, I don't know that he's been substantially more impactful than Quinnen this season.

Oliver is a plus run stopper, but so far just an average pass rusher. As I understand it, that's Q's story, too.

Where I think Oliver may have an advantage over Williams is in the "hustle" department. His motor never stops. There's also at least a little reason to believe that he's still hampered by the leg injury he suffered earlier this year.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Logic said:

Honestly, I don't know that he's been substantially more impactful than Quinnen this season.

Oliver is a plus run stopper, but so far just an average pass rusher. As I understand it, that's Q's story, too.

Correct (outside of one game in Quinnens career in week 2 )

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

how about that Oliver isnt as effective this season because hes being asked to play the 1-tech when he should be playing the 3-tech, the position we drafted him for? 

Coaches & Beane deserve the blame on this one big time.  He was small to begin with, too small to play 1-tech consistently.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Coaches & Beane deserve the blame on this one big time.  He was small to begin with, too small to play 1-tech consistently.

Or....they are in a bind and trying to do their best with what they have? Oliver would be thriving as the 3-tech, what he was drafted for. That isnt on Beane for drafting him or Coaches for not developing him there - because he isnt playing there. How could they plan for Star opting out and forcing him to play there? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Do they actually pay New York taxes when playing for the Jets? Considering it’s actually in New Jersey, I would think they pay Jersey state taxes?

it depends where is home residence is which might be alabama where he's from. if that's the case he pays their tax rate. especially with covid this year i'd imagine he stayed down their for most of the year. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Has Ed Oliver been given more than a season and a hand full of games before being labeled a bust?

No. No he hasn't.

He’s not a bust, but he hasn’t been what we thought we were getting.  Not even close to what I thought we were getting.  I’m one of his biggest advocates, but he needs to step it up.  I thought he flashed a few times Vs the jets week 1.  Maybe only 1 flash a game the rest of the way, if that. 

In his defense, it’s tough on him when the opposing OL decides to double him and force him to play the 1 tech.  He’s NOT aaron Donald.  When he’s doubled, he’s usually neutralized instantly.  

I’d trade a 3rd for Williams.  Maybe a 2nd.  Haven’t focused in his play at all since scouting him for the draft but that tape might be worth a 2nd

@JetsFan20 how would you rate Williams play so far with the jets?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

Or....they are in a bind and trying to do their best with what they have? Oliver would be thriving as the 3-tech, what he was drafted for. That isnt on Beane for drafting him or Coaches for not developing him there - because he isnt playing there. How could they plan for Star opting out and forcing him to play there? 

Star opted out in July, should have been adequately addressed back then.   JMHO

• Like (+1) 2

I dont think its really a Williams vs Oliver thing.  Oliver was better last year, Williams has been better this year.   There is some mumbling about Oliver playing injured, so who knows.

What it comes down to is if you can get Williams on his rookie deal why not.  They both are talented players.   If you can rotate them, and then determine which you want to keep I'd say go for it.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Quinnen is on the trade block. Jets asking for a 2nd round pick.

Has Oliver been good for Buffalo?

Q and Oliver on the same DL would be nice for a couple years..  Both would have 2021 and 2022 on Rookie contracts, with both 2023 5th year option (guessing would only pick 1 by that point).  

And if I can get it done for a 2nd inside the Division I DEFINATELY would do that, as I think the assets are going to defense anyway next year, so essentially your 2nd round pick is Q Williams with a 2 year rookie contract.

I would be all over it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

He’s not a bust, but he hasn’t been what we thought we were getting.  Not even close to what I thought we were getting.  I’m one of his biggest advocates, but he needs to step it up.  I thought he flashed a few times Vs the jets week 1.  Maybe only 1 flash a game the rest of the way, if that. 

In his defense, it’s tough on him when the opposing OL decides to double him and force him to play the 1 tech.  He’s NOT aaron Donald.  When he’s doubled, he’s usually neutralized instantly.  

I’d trade a 3rd for Williams.  Maybe a 2nd.  Haven’t focused in his play at all since scouting him for the draft but that tape might be worth a 2nd

@JetsFan20 how would you rate Williams play so far with the jets?

He’s been a lot more active this season, but still inconsistent. Had great games vs Broncos and 49ers.

Its so tough to evaluate these guys because the games are typically over midway through 2nd quarter. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JetsFan20 said:

He’s been a lot more active this season, but still inconsistent. Had great games vs Broncos and 49ers.

Its so tough to evaluate these guys because the games are typically over midway through 2nd quarter. 

True.  Gotta be tough getting motivated to dominate.  Different mindset I’m sure.