Ravens trade for Yannick

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think it’s also fair to say maybe Beane did call, and Minnesota doesn’t want a second trade with buffalo. Clearly the Diggs trade has worked out really good for both teams but this Yannick one surely faces some backlash from their fans yes? 

It should. Minnesota traded a 2nd and a 5th to Jacksonville and got back a 3rd and a 5th from Baltimore. Unless the Vikes turn things around drastically (and this trade does not indicate that they think they will), they have, in effect, traded an early 2nd Round pick for a late 3rd Round pick in order to get Ngakoue for the sum total of six games. Yikes. That is bad business.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

It should. Minnesota traded a 2nd and a 5th to Jacksonville and got back a 3rd and a 5th from Baltimore. Unless the Vikes turn things around drastically (and this trade does not indicate that they think they will), they have, in effect, traded an early 2nd Round pick for a late 3rd Round pick in order to get Ngakoue for the sum total of six games. Yikes. That is bad business.

On top of the fact he’s probably their best player on defense this season. And hunter is out for the year now. No Barr. Guess they want to embrace the tank in some form 

6 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

I'll never understand why NFL teams insist on making these type of ridiculous lopsided trades with teams like the Pats and Ravens year after year. I get that the Vikings realize they probably need to shift focus to 2021 and beyond but they are almost guaranteeing a spot for the Ravens in the AFC Championship game at worst.

And why this move was probably never realistic for this team, if for some reason the Bills do win the division they will likely be the 4th seed and given how strong the AFCN is there's a high probability they will face the top wildcard team which is obviously going to be the Ravens or Steelers and another quick playoff exit.

Teams almost never care about making seemingly bad trades with the other conference.  They aren't competing for playoff spots with them, and they only play that team once every four years unless both make the superbowl.  And if they're meeting in the superbowl obviously the trade worked out for both sides.  

4 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

He's likely trying but outside of the draft day trades to move up for Allen and Edmonds and sending a 1st for Diggs, I don't see him willing to give up anything higher than a 5th round pick because it was be a direct indictment for his previous failed moves and against the 'process' nonsense.

But if you think of some of the players we've wasted 3rd round picks on recent years (Knox, Singletary, Phillips, etc) what armchair GM would honestly be wrong saying we should have made this same move or give up a 3rd in a heartbeat for a proven veteran DT/DE/LB that can make a massive impact in the front seven even for just the rest of this season without guarantee they'd be back in 2021.

He traded a 3rd for KB. He cut Spain after signing him to an extension. It doesn't appear he is worried about an indictment of his choices. 

Let's see how it goes the next ten days or so. Then if he doesn't do anything to upgrade we can crucify him. I've been calling for an upgrade at DE since training camp. 

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just found out on Joe B's podcast that the Bills have the most expensive DL in the league.  22% of our cap goes to the DL.  

We're going to be releasing a lot players in the offseason.

terrible DL management both in FA and the draft.  

I would have traded a 2nd and 5th.   

In addition to the Bills being tight up against the cap, people also need to realize Yannick is from Maryland, went to the University of Maryland and always wanted to play for the Ravens. It very well could have been a situation where he only would have accepted a trade to the Ravens. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not banging the table that Beane should of signed Yannick (although it would be nice to have him on the team right now) but I do want to address the cap stuff.

1st off, as it is now the Ravens are 6.5 million OVER the cap per Spotrac. They signed Yannick with much less than the Bills 4 million in space.

Yannick cost 5.1 million for the rest of the year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/

The Bills could of restructured to open up a few million if they wanted to.  It's probably what the Ravens are doing right now.

Cutting vets doesn't free up money and cutting rookies/UDFAs doesn't get you a lot of free cash.

The only other option for the Ravens is they may have another trade (vet player of theirs) in the works.

Just saying that the Bills COULD of signed him without cutting players.  

How are so many people skipping over this??? The Ravens are over the cap and were able to make the trade, people need to stop saying the Bills couldn’t have made this trade. There are so many ways for teams to work around the cap to make something like this work. Also, how did the narrative change so fast in so many peoples eyes-somehow Beane went from being amazing with the cap and the draft to Beane needs to be fired! I think i got whiplash from watching so many people flip to that!

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I guess they looked at the 2nd and 5th as a sunk cost and Yannick probably wanted out. So get back something other than a comp pick in 2022. 

• Like (+1) 1