Ravens trade for Yannick

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They have 7 picks and a conditional.   That conditional 7th round pick and 4 of the others are 5th round or later.

Again.........other teams didn't have the need the Bills had.   Remember John Brown had a career year.........this year is more consistent with Brown's career, good one year, hurt the next.............he and Beasley aren't and weren't long time studs  with just a few seasons over 700 yards combined out of 12 in the league.   A player like Metcalf was a HUGE need for the Bills.  Can't be understated.

Arizona addressed WR early in the draft.........the Bills did not.    Arizona also fleeced Houston for Hopkins..........dumping the Johnson salary on the Texans to boot.   That was an epic steal.  So while they may have failed passing on Metcalf they made up for it elsewhere.  

That's the kind of thing Beane isn't doing.   He's making mistakes and then paying full price in real time to fix them.

Sure. Either way they’re not lacking draft capital. They have 7 picks. 3 in the first 3 rounds. It’s not like they’re in a dire position. They’re able to move picks if they want to. Every team starts with 7 picks. 

What do you mean other teams didn’t have the need the Bills had? I literally just told you DK Metcalf was the 9th receiver taken in that draft and you completely ignored it. Those teams undoubtedly had a need based on the fact that they drafted a receiver and in drafting a receiver they opted to not take Metcalf. 

That was a great deal for Arizona, but they were able to take advantage of O’Brien. I’m sure AFC teams weren’t even given that opportunity. The whole league knows the deal was a joke. There’s a very high chance most teams didn’t even know Hopkins was on the market, and O’Brien was just going rogue. It was an unprecedented deal, and one that other NFL teams didn’t have an opportunity to make. 

“No, we had no sense he was on the market,” Rivera told Washington reporters Wednesday. 

Asked if he was surprised that the Texans, led by coach and executive Bill O’Brien, traded Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals, Rivera responded with the affirmative. “Yeah, just like everybody else,” he said. “We were all surprised. Here’s a talented player playing for a team he had played very well for and they traded him. It was a decision that was made on another team.”

“It is amazing in the NFL that some trades are so lopsided still,” said an NFL executive, according to Mike Sando of The Athletic. “The Hopkins thing was a joke. How the David Johnson contract was included in the deal just astounds me.”

“The ability to get out from Johnson, I can’t recall if another one like that exists, where a team acquired a high-level player and also was able to divest itself of a negative contract.”

For everyone incessantly whining about Beane, McDermott, and us not making a deal for Ngakoue have you actually looked at the broader spectrum of this? First off, we have less than $5,000,000 in cap space at this point and can't fit Ngakoue in for the rest of the season without cutting a couple of other guys. Could we cut people? Sure, but what if he gets hurt and you just cut your depth at the position? Then you're really screwed. Second, we have other guys with contracts coming up after this season. The salary cap is coming down, we just don't completely know by how much yet. The talk is about a $20,000,000 drop due to the circumstances faced this year though. Do you think we are going to re-sign him at $20,000,000 per season next year in light of that? No, we wouldn't. Third, is Ngakoue the missing link for this team to win a SB? Sorry, no he is not Bills fans. This would be a remainder of a season rental trying to put a Band-Aid on something that needs stitches. Yes, he has 5 sacks this year. He averages about 9 a season for his career. He also only averages about 30 tackles per season, which means outside of his 9 takedowns of the QB he is making 21 other stops over 16 full games. He's solid, but not elite. He's also lightweight for a 4-3 DE at under 250lbs. The Ravens are in a place, with the defense they already have, that he just makes sense there and scheme wise as well. He will get to be a stand up edge rusher now and I always thought that was his best fit.  

22 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

We don’t need a player with that many sacks on our line. Would disrupt the current chemistry. 

yeah its hard to let the other team sustain 15 play 9 minute drives when you go sacking the quarterback, very unsporting approach really

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Sure. Either way they’re not lacking draft capital. They have 7 picks. 3 in the first 3 rounds. It’s not like they’re in a dire position. They’re able to move picks if they want to. Every team starts with 7 picks. 

What do you mean other teams didn’t have the need the Bills had? I literally just told you DK Metcalf was the 9th receiver taken in that draft and you completely ignored it. Those teams undoubtedly had a need based on the fact that they drafted a receiver and in drafting a receiver they opted to not take Metcalf. 

That was a great deal for Arizona, but they were able to take advantage of O’Brien. I’m sure AFC teams weren’t even given that opportunity. The whole league knows the deal was a joke. There’s a very high chance most teams didn’t even know Hopkins was on the market, and O’Brien was just going rogue. It was an unprecedented deal, and one that other NFL teams didn’t have an opportunity to make. 

“No, we had no sense he was on the market,” Rivera told Washington reporters Wednesday. 

Asked if he was surprised that the Texans, led by coach and executive Bill O’Brien, traded Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals, Rivera responded with the affirmative. “Yeah, just like everybody else,” he said. “We were all surprised. Here’s a talented player playing for a team he had played very well for and they traded him. It was a decision that was made on another team.”

“It is amazing in the NFL that some trades are so lopsided still,” said an NFL executive, according to Mike Sando of The Athletic. “The Hopkins thing was a joke. How the David Johnson contract was included in the deal just astounds me.”

“The ability to get out from Johnson, I can’t recall if another one like that exists, where a team acquired a high-level player and also was able to divest itself of a negative contract.”

I never said they were in dire need of draft picks.    They just don't have a good enough or young enough roster to part with much.   The Ravens do.   They do more with less and make moves that work.......which gives them flexibility to do things like trade draft picks to enhance their roster.

One can always defend Beane by pointing out that some other teams make bad decisions............I don't contest that.........but the point isn't what the bottom of the league or even what the more efficient teams have or haven't done.........it's that Beane is making too many of his own mistakes.

He's gotta' do better or the Bills will have to be an overachieving roster to remain a fringe contender.

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

For everyone incessantly whining about Beane, McDermott, and us not making a deal for Ngakoue have you actually looked at the broader spectrum of this? First off, we have less than $5,000,000 in cap space at this point and can't fit Ngakoue in for the rest of the season without cutting a couple of other guys. Could we cut people? Sure, but what if he gets hurt and you just cut your depth at the position? Then you're really screwed. Second, we have other guys with contracts coming up after this season. The salary cap is coming down, we just don't completely know by how much yet. The talk is about a $20,000,000 drop due to the circumstances faced this year though. Do you think we are going to re-sign him at $20,000,000 per season next year in light of that? No, we wouldn't. Third, is Ngakoue the missing link for this team to win a SB? Sorry, no he is not Bills fans. This would be a remainder of a season rental trying to put a Band-Aid on something that needs stitches. Yes, he has 5 sacks this year. He averages about 9 a season for his career. He also only averages about 30 tackles per season, which means outside of his 9 takedowns of the QB he is making 21 other stops over 16 full games. He's solid, but not elite. He's also lightweight for a 4-3 DE at under 250lbs. The Ravens are in a place, with the defense they already have, that he just makes sense there and scheme wise as well. He will get to be a stand up edge rusher now and I always thought that was his best fit.  

I'm not banging the table that Beane should of signed Yannick (although it would be nice to have him on the team right now) but I do want to address the cap stuff.

1st off, as it is now the Ravens are 6.5 million OVER the cap per Spotrac. They signed Yannick with much less than the Bills 4 million in space.

Yannick cost 5.1 million for the rest of the year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/

The Bills could of restructured to open up a few million if they wanted to.  It's probably what the Ravens are doing right now.

Cutting vets doesn't free up money and cutting rookies/UDFAs doesn't get you a lot of free cash.

The only other option for the Ravens is they may have another trade (vet player of theirs) in the works.

Just saying that the Bills COULD of signed him without cutting players.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never said they were in dire need of draft picks.    They just don't have a good enough or young enough roster to part with much.   The Ravens do.   They do more with less and make moves that work.......which gives them flexibility to do things like trade draft picks to enhance their roster.

One can always defend Beane by pointing out that some other teams make bad decisions............I don't contest that.........but the point isn't what the bottom of the league or even what the more efficient teams have or haven't done.........it's that Beane is making too many of his own mistakes.

He's gotta' do better or the Bills will have to be an overachieving roster to remain a fringe contender.

Well no, you are stating that the trade for Diggs was an overpay and that a deal like the Hopkins deal should have occurred. Primarily because the Bills didn't address the WR position the year before. I was also showing that even though teams addressed the WR position the year before they STILL gave up assets to acquire Hopkins... so your point just doesn't hold up. DK was a mystery... he wasn't a can't miss stud... or else he wouldn't have fallen to the last pick in RD2.

I was showing you there that it wasn't possible. Teams didn't even know Hopkins was being moved... it's hard for someone to acquire Hopkins when they don't have a chance to acquire him. 

Back to your dead cap qualms. We can release Lee Smith, Vernon Butler, Quentin Jefferson and Tyler Matakevich to save $17.5mm with only $2.8mm dead. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not banging the table that Beane should of signed Yannick (although it would be nice to have him on the team right now) but I do want to address the cap stuff.

1st off, as it is now the Ravens are 6.5 million OVER the cap per Spotrac. They signed Yannick with much less than the Bills 4 million in space.

Yannick cost 5.1 million for the rest of the year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/

The Bills could of restructured to open up a few million if they wanted to.  It's probably what the Ravens are doing right now.

Cutting vets doesn't free up money and cutting rookies/UDFAs doesn't get you a lot of free cash.

The only other option for the Ravens is they may have another trade (vet player of theirs) in the works.

Just saying that the Bills COULD of signed him without cutting players.  

I understand what you're getting at. But whose money gets pushed down the line and how does that affect us moving forward after this year? Yannick's contract was $12,000,000. We're through week 6. That seems closer to $8,000,000 for the rest of the year. We have less than $5,000,000. Even if they could have maneuvered the cap to scrape under, everything else I stated still remains. He'd be nice to have, agreed, but it would be a 10 game regular season rental and whatever else we accomplished in the playoffs. With our performances against the Titans and Chiefs, as well as the way the defense has looked as a whole this entire year thus far, I just don't see him as our missing link to a Lombardi. 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm just trying to keep the facts straight.  Yannick is 5.1 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/yannick-ngakoue-19018/

My facts are straight - I said "ONE SEASON rental and quoted his 2020 salary.

You're correct for his remaining salary to be paid by the Ravens as 10 games remain, $0.5M/game = $5M 10 games

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

I understand what you're getting at. But whose money gets pushed down the line and how does that affect us moving forward after this year? Yannick's contract was $12,000,000. We're through week 6. That seems closer to $8,000,000 for the rest of the year. We have less than $5,000,000. Even if they could have maneuvered the cap to scrape under, everything else I stated still remains. He'd be nice to have, agreed, but it would be a 10 game regular season rental and whatever else we accomplished in the playoffs. With our performances against the Titans and Chiefs, as well as the way the defense has looked as a whole this entire year thus far, I just don't see him as our missing link to a Lombardi. 

Contract was $4M signing bonus (stays with original team), $8M annual salary.  10 remaining games $5M

https://overthecap.com/player/yannick-ngakoue/4782/

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

The Jags AND Vikes ate dead cap on the trades.  Yannick costs 5.1 for the Ravens.

I agree "restructuring" is always a risk.  You are trading guaranteed money for cap space today but a couple of million could of been done with

Diggs and/or Morse among others.

I'm more just giving the numbers and option.  I like the money side of football, it's interesting to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My facts are straight - I said "ONE SEASON rental and quoted his 2020 salary.

You're correct for his remaining salary to be paid by the Ravens as 10 games remain, $0.5M/game = $5M 10 games

Contract was $4M signing bonus (stays with original team), $8M annual salary.  10 remaining games $5M

https://overthecap.com/player/yannick-ngakoue/4782/

I stand corrected.  I thought you were quoting what the cost of todays trade would be.

I think it’s also fair to say maybe Beane did call, and Minnesota doesn’t want a second trade with buffalo. Clearly the Diggs trade has worked out really good for both teams but this Yannick one surely faces some backlash from their fans yes?