Ravens trade for Yannick

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them make another splash move as well, for a receiver or tight end.  Julio Jones or Evan Engram.  Ravens’ FO plays chess.  

Ravens haven't shown how they pay for Yannick yet.

Jones just signed a HUGE contract in ATL.  Falcons are in for 33 million in Dead Cap if traded. 

8 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Well it’s actually useless to point out throwing in extra assets because he only gave up 1 2021 pick to acquire Diggs. So, that decision to “include extra picks” literally had no impact on being able swing a move this year. Absolutely zero impact. It was a 2020 1st, 5th and 6th along with a 2021 4th. 

He created record amounts of dead money in 2018 for a reason... I don’t understand what’s so hard to comprehend about the fact that those cap hits would have continued beyond 2018 and 2019 and made things more difficult in the years we needed to sign key pieces like Tre, Dawkins, Josh or evening acquire a guy like Diggs. I’m not so sure what’s hard to comprehend about that. 

Bottom line.........the Bills are both light on draft capital and promising young talent with long term team control..........and they are obviously going to be eating even more dead money this offseason the way some of these free agents are performing..........so they really gotta' be careful about trading picks now.

The reason they are there is the inefficiency wrt personnel decisions.

If you are offended by my use of "draft capital" in general then how about a more specific example I am sure you have never heard before:

They had to trade so much for Diggs because they passed on DK Metcalf in round 2 in 2019........to trade up for Cody Ford.

You hate to hear that talk I'm sure.......but that is a significant error that lead to the Bills having to spend even more draft capital to fill that void the following offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Hopkins is the highest paid WR in the history of football.  Diggs has years remaining on a team friendly deal.  This must be accounted for in evaluating the two trades.  

I'm pretty sure Beane said they were going to re-do his deal after this season.........I think they even tossed him a few extra bucks this summer.

I don't suspect there will be a year 2 of Diggs in Buffalo without a VERY big re-negotiation.

Edit: in early August the Bills announced that they bumped his pay by $3.3M this year and added $7.7M in guarantees so he basically got an $11M bump in "real dollars" for accepting the trade.

They will likely be doing an extension after the season to get his money even more "right".

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 1

I want to throw up.

Really I do.

i was just talking about how he is being wasted in Minny.

...I guess not anymore.

You gotta be F'n kidding me?

My mind has changed so much about our team in the last couple of weeks.

and no, it is simply not just about losing 2.  It is partially fueled a bit be being patently unable to hang with teams.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nester said:

we cant afford to give away those types of picks for a 2/3 year rental who will want $20mm a year next year which we cant do. 

Anyone would trade a 3rd for chance at a run in the playoffs. If he does not resign you could get the comp pick back. Yes, you can afford to do this deal. 

4 minutes ago, Nester said:

we cant afford to give away those types of picks for a 2/3 year rental who will want $20mm a year next year which we cant do. 

Those are exactly the types of picks we could afford to give away. A 3rd+5th for an actual GOOD player on the defensive line. 

We're in a championship window with Allen on a rookie contract. We should be going all in this year and next year. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

The Ravens are in "win now" mode so this trade makes sense for them. Soon they will have to pay Lamar and they will also have some holes to fill next offseason with the fact being no one truly knows how much money will be available. This may amount to nothing more than a rental for a 3rd and a 5th in hopes of winning the SB. I don't see Ngakoue as the missing link for us so this really doesn't bother me. 

and we’re always in “win later” mode :(

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just found out on Joe B's podcast that the Bills have the most expensive DL in the league.  22% of our cap goes to the DL.  

We're going to be releasing a lot players in the offseason.

Beane basically created the same situation he tried getting us out of after Whaley

this is why some question his ability to be a successful GM. he has hardly brought any good talent here on the defensive side. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

The Ravens are in "win now" mode so this trade makes sense for them. Soon they will have to pay Lamar and they will also have some holes to fill next offseason with the fact being no one truly knows how much money will be available. This may amount to nothing more than a rental for a 3rd and a 5th in hopes of winning the SB. I don't see Ngakoue as the missing link for us so this really doesn't bother me. 

yes and the Bills have been rebuilding for 3 decades . 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

yes and the Bills have been rebuilding for 3 decades . 

To paraphrase Charles DeGaulle,  The Bills are rebuilding, and built to stay that way

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

BUF: Zimmer + Gooden - Spain

BAL: + Yannick

Yes, but has Yannick been immortalized in meme form yet?

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bottom line.........the Bills are both light on draft capital and promising young talent with long term team control..........and they are obviously going to be eating even more dead money this offseason the way some of these free agents are performing..........so they really gotta' be careful about trading picks now.

The reason they are there is the inefficiency wrt personnel decisions.

If you are offended by my use of "draft capital" in general then how about a more specific example I am sure you have never heard before:

They had to trade so much for Diggs because they passed on DK Metcalf in round 2 in 2019........to trade up for Cody Ford.

You hate to hear that talk I'm sure.......but that is a significant error that lead to the Bills having to spend even more draft capital to fill that void the following offseason.

Now they’re light in draft capital? They have 8 picks next year. 

They’re also light on promising young talent? That’s an interesting take. Tre White, Josh Allen, Devin Singletary, Diggs, Dawkins, Gabe Davis, Ed Oliver, Edmunds... I won’t list anyone too controversial because it seems like you don’t believe player development exists and players just are what they are. 

The amazing thing about these contracts and dead money is that there’s a very insignificant amount of dead money if players are cut... because Beane structures those deals that way. 

Great example. DK Metcalf was taken with the 64th pick in round 2 (last pick in round 2). He was the 9th receiver off the board in 2019. Flame Beane all you want but it seems to me the entire league decided Metcalf wasn’t worth being taken sooner. Some of the teams that took receivers instead of DK Metcalf... Baltimore Ravens, San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs. 

Interesting that they’re all teams people have been puffing up as front offices so much smarter and better run than Buffalo... and many passed on Metcalf twice, including taking other receivers instead... 

Another team that took a receiver instead of Metcalf was Arizona... maybe they wouldn’t have had to give up any capital for DeAndre Hopkins... if they didn’t make that significant error they wouldn’t have had to spend even more draft capital to fill that void the next year. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Ngakoue >> Hughes for McD's scheme. Future 3rd and 5th is peanuts for 9 games this season + option to re-sign or get back a comp pick.  Like Hughes, he is not great at setting the edge (though likely better than Hughes - did ya guys see the 31 yard run play  against the Chiefs) - but unlike Hughes, he will actually be getting to the QB more.

C'mon Beaner - do your thing.

Love Beane but he's clearly struggling this year. 

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Now they’re light in draft capital? They have 8 picks next year. 

They’re also light on promising young talent? That’s an interesting take. Tre White, Josh Allen, Devin Singletary, Diggs, Dawkins, Gabe Davis, Ed Oliver, Edmunds... I won’t list anyone too controversial because it seems like you don’t believe player development exists and players just are what they are. 

The amazing thing about these contracts and dead money is that there’s a very insignificant amount of dead money if players are cut... because Beane structures those deals that way. 

Great example. DK Metcalf was taken with the 64th pick in round 2 (last pick in round 2). He was the 9th receiver off the board in 2019. Flame Beane all you want but it seems to me the entire league decided Metcalf wasn’t worth being taken sooner. Some of the teams that took receivers instead of DK Metcalf... Baltimore Ravens, San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs. 

Interesting that they’re all teams people have been puffing up as front offices so much smarter and better run than Buffalo... and many passed on Metcalf twice, including taking other receivers instead... 

Another team that took a receiver instead of Metcalf was Arizona... maybe they wouldn’t have had to give up any capital for DeAndre Hopkins... if they didn’t make that significant error they wouldn’t have had to spend even more draft capital to fill that void the next year. 

They have 7 picks and a conditional.   That conditional 7th round pick and 4 of the others are 5th round or later.

Again.........other teams didn't have the need the Bills had.   Remember John Brown had a career year.........this year is more consistent with Brown's career, good one year, hurt the next.............he and Beasley aren't and weren't long time studs  with just a few seasons over 700 yards combined out of 12 in the league.   A player like Metcalf was a HUGE need for the Bills.  Can't be understated.

Arizona addressed WR early in the draft.........the Bills did not.    Arizona also fleeced Houston for Hopkins..........dumping the Johnson salary on the Texans to boot.   That was an epic steal.  So while they may have failed passing on Metcalf they made up for it elsewhere.  

That's the kind of thing Beane isn't doing.   He's making mistakes and then paying full price in real time to fix them.

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Correct. We have about 4-5 missing links, and we’re not nearly at the Ravens level. One player wouldn’t have helped at all. Let’s hope we continue to sit by while other organizations actually are trying to win a super bowl this year. Also yesterday plenty of posters said there was NO way Minnesota would trade him. Anyone is available for trade. People should know that by now.