Fe'Zahn Tremaine Edmunds scouting report tells us exactly what we see on the field.

LB48

2 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Oh im sorry did you cite a game changing play that he made?

did you ignore the 2 and a half minute video the other poster linked you to ? 

give it a looksy and don’t reply to this post.  

no reason to muck up the whole thread. 

Edited by Teddy KGB

4 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You could always apologize for making an erroneous statement or go this route.  

Either way.  None of my concern.   

A highlight video? Really? I didnt think it deserved a response since while some of the highlights are of quality play none of them are of game changing plays.

The question I asked wasnt does tremaine edmunds have a highlight reel? All players do and that literally proves nothing. 

The fact is bills fans cant really cite one moment where edmunds did anything to change our fate. An impactful, gamechanging play that altered the course of a game. Come on man. Get out of here with your malarkey.

22 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Know what I thought when I saw this?

That you'd loaded the dice. That there was a reason that you hadn't given the link, and that the reason was that you had extracted the exact worst little excerpts and left out the good bits.

And Golly gee whiz, turns out I was right, and you were cherry-picking the worst stuff

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190028-tremaine-edmunds-virginia-tech/page64/

You do have to admit that we are 2 years in and the downside observations of his college tape are still pretty obvious in his current game.

His strength early on was covering the shallow zones in a heavy nickle role. His speed, height, and length allows him to cover sideline to sideline and take away throwing lanes. I remember a few games where he had multiple batted down balls. His weakness is still biting on misdirection, attacking the right run gap, using his hands effectively to fend off blocks, and demonstrating the strength and proper leverage to stack and shed blocks so he is in position to stop the run. 

Some (not all) of his woes can certainly be attributed to how guys are playing in front of him, and their own gap integrity. I know he is still young, but if teams are going to attack us with a heavy dose of runs (why wouldn't they?) then he is either going to have to evolve more quickly, or the Bills are going to need to find someone else to sub in who has more instinct for shedding blocks and playing the run while capable of providing some coverage and move Edmunds to a role that better suits his skill set - Edmunds does have a lot of god-given natural athleticism.

It is a win-now league, but I am satisfied that McD has gone deep into his bench trying to find guys he can try to plug in to improve play. If nothing else with the injuries and dodgy play up front and at LB we are building some experienced depth. Oliver and Edmunds are not busts, but are looking more like longer-term projects and this team desperately needs more early returns out of those early 1st round defensive pick investments.

Beane is going to have to steer away from his instincts looking for athletes for the d-line and rather find that big nasty fat guy who loves the game and does not mind playing slobber-knocker football in the trenches. Much that is suck about our team would right itself if our d-line was not getting blown off their spots.

Edited by WideNine

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Than what’s the problem?  His injury and lack of a 1 tech?  It could be he NEEDS a great 1 tech to flourish. If that’s the case, I’m all for keeping him and making sure we have a good 1tech.  All I know is, he’s not the same player he was last season. He has regressed.  The reason for the regress is what matters.  Is it fixable and how fast can we fix it.

Yes, his injury and lack of a 1-tech. And probably also the fact that our whole DL isn't playing as well as we'd hoped.

And yeah, you could say he needs a good space eater to flourish, correct. Which is true of any MLB in this scheme and plenty of others. Except at 1-tech we're small and athletic on the DL. The 1-tech is a desperate need in this scheme.

Again, Ray frickin' Lewis didn't thrive without a space eater in front of him in the middle of his career.

I totally agree that he's regressed, and that the reason is what matters. But IMO except for the injury there's not too much we can do to fix things beyond hoping McD finds a way to scheme around the problems of this defensive roster. We'll see.

7 hours ago, LB48 said:

Thank You.  I think people want him to be a stud LB and that's not the case.  I wish it was!

Pro Bowl in his second year says you're wrong. Healthy, with a space eater in front of him, he's absolutely a stud. Not elite so far or anything, don't get me wrong. But yes, very very good.

7 hours ago, LB48 said:

I'm sorry to upset you.  The point of the post is about what we are seeing on the field now - -2020 - -not what he COULD do in the NFL!

You didn't upset me. Your poor, evasive OP did certainly seem worthy of being called a poor, evasive, OP, though. Your post gave only a small part of the picture and then didn't put a link in so people could see what you'd done.

Thankfully, the Mods stepped in and put a link in, which helped at least a bit.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LB48 said:

I have NO PREJUDICES about Edmunds.  I wish he was great and played up to the positives in his scouting report.  The fact is - he hasn't and the negatives appear to be true.

See, that is what we call an opinion. A fact is quite different. And again, a Pro Bowl in his second  year says few agree with you, and that when healthy and in a working defense, he's a damn good player.

5 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

A highlight video? Really? I didnt think it deserved a response since while some of the highlights are of quality play none of them are of game changing plays.

Dude, he's killing you. You're looking like one of those fraternity recruits saying, "Thank you, sir, may I have another." There are things you can say about Edmunds that are real. You can say he's regressed this year, for instance, as it's clear he has. But that he's never had a game-changing play? Ridiculous.

As he says, though, your choice.

The first and most obvious one I come up with is the one against the Fins last year near the end of the year. Miami had beaten us with Allen QBing earlier in the season. In the first game we score on the first game. On their first they start to move, Edmunds intercepts and runs it back inside the 20. The crowd is now going nuts and on 1st and ten Miami is on their heels and Allen hits Zay Jones for a TD, we're up 14 - 0, and the rout is on. That was a huge play.

Gonna say something sensible, "Well, yeah, good point, but this year he hasn't been playing as well"? I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

See, that is what we call an opinion. A fact is quite different. And again, a Pro Bowl in his second  year says few agree with you, and that when healthy and in a working defense, he's a damn good player.

Pro Bowl Replacement. Blake Bortles and Tyrod have made Pro Bowls, bar needs to be set higher. 

11 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

The question I asked wasnt does tremaine edmunds have a highlight reel? All players do and that literally proves nothing. 

The fact is bills fans cant really cite one moment where edmunds did anything to change our fate. An impactful, gamechanging play that altered the course of a game. Come on man. Get out of here with your malarkey.

FWIW usually when someone uses a term like "game changing play", it's like "franchise QB".  After 15 pages of wrangling, it turns out that different people have different ideas of what that means.

Before chucking about terms like "malarkey", at this juncture perhaps you could clearly and explicitly define what you mean by "game changing play".

By inference, you must not consider the following to be game changing plays, in which you probably differ from many football experts:

1) Tackle for loss (Edmunds: 15)

2) Safety (Edmunds: 1)

3) Sacks (Edmunds: 3.5)

4) Interception (Edmunds: 3)

5) Forced fumble (Edmunds: 2)

Please bear in mind that your original contention was "cite one moment". 

I would think that those altogether would constitute 25 moments.

So again, if tackles for loss, safeties, sacks, interceptions, and forced fumbles don't constitute "game changing plays" or "one moment where Edmunds did anything to change our fate", perhaps you could be so kind as to explain precisely what you mean by that term.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, you don't want an MLB who runs well or wraps up with his arms. Oh, wait, you probably do. Or closes from depth. Oh, wait, you actually do. Or sees it and goes and gets it. Yeah, it's totally clear, these are all major negatives for an MLB ... in Bizarro Land.

Yeah, runs well, wraps up and drives through, making a tackle, Is exactly what you want.  Not holding on, getting dragged along until a safety comes and cleans up his mess 4 yards further down the field.  It’s awesome when he sees the ball and goes and gets it, which is so easy to do when the ball is behind the line and he bites on every fake because he CAN’T see the ball.  Just like your “whole article” said, he’s great when he sees and reacts, but doesn’t anticipate, you know, like in college when he played outside and could see the ball. He plays inside now, so having to see the ball is killer.  The real players have instincts, anticipate and move, this guy has to wait for the ball to be in sight before he can move, another reason he gets run over constantly. 

I think there's a case to be made suggesting he is injured right now and will improve when he is back to normal.

Having said that, from the start, he has been a combination of low football IQ combined with lots of natural ability.

Often in the wrong place at the wrong time, no correct anticipation, and what I always see....unable to get off blocks.

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

Two key off season acquisitions we need via draft, trade or free agency. 

A run stopping DT and a MLB who actually plays the run.

We already expended a lot of capital on those 2 positions relatively recently, but aren't benefiting from it.

We gave up a 2nd and two 4th round picks to get Reggie Ragland, who was supposed to be the epitome of everything Edmunds is not....an instinctive, natural mike linebacker who has instincts all day long and makes stops.

We then gave him  away for a 4th round pick.

Then we have Ed Oliver: gave up the 9th overall pick for him.  He's too small, easily moved off his spot at the NFL level.  

These misses hurt.  You would think these guys would learn, eventually, that they aren't any more informed than anyone else and they should always avoid trading up.  One guy isn't more special than another, especially when no one knows how well they are going to pan out.

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

I agree with McDermott. LOL:)

I think we all agree with McDermott.  Edmunds is not having a good season so far.

On the other hand, that differs from your OP statement that Edmunds has never once made a game changing play.  Since this has been debunked with a list of a couple dozen game changing plays, you need to provide your definition of "game changing play" to continue with it.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we all agree with McDermott.  Edmunds is not having a good season so far.

On the other hand, that differs from your OP statement that Edmunds has never once made a game changing play.  Since this has been debunked with a list of a couple dozen game changing plays, you need to provide your definition of "game changing play" to continue with it.

I think the intent of my statement was clear, the other readers of the thread can make their own determination as to whether or not Edmunds is a game changer.  Also, my statement was highlighted in an article on this websites front page 2 days ago so it's not as if I'm the only guy saying it when literal sports analysts are writing it.

Your list also does not contain the game, time the play was made, current score, etc. So you're asking me to do a LOT of work to back up a statement that I think is pretty clear to everyone here that Edmunds isn't making an impact like he should be and it IS difficult to think of the moments where he has made such plays.

I know you're white knighting but really, nobody has time for that malarkey.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

I know you're white knighting but really, nobody has time for that malarkey.

Yikes, you made the erroneous statement now it’s everyone else’s fault ? 

He made plenty of plays the last 2 seasons.   He’s struggling right now, but you’re still dead wrong.  

Edmunds took the challenge and did not disappoint in his rookie campaign. The 6’5″ 250 lb. linebacker led the team with 121 tackles and 12 passes defended. He also walked into the record books, becoming the youngest player to record 100+ tackles in a season since 2000” 

https://thebuffalofanatics.com/2020/08/25/tremaine-edmunds-the-core-of-the-buffalo-bills-defense/

Edited by Teddy KGB