Fe'Zahn Tremaine Edmunds scouting report tells us exactly what we see on the field.

LB48

Just now, DCofNC said:

So exactly what I said, he runs well, wraps up with his arms.  He also needs space to react, “ closes nicely from depth” yep, when he can see it, he goes and gets it.   “Sets a good hard edge” yep, should be playing outside. 

just because you read doesn’t mean you understand, and you validated it again for everyone to see.

Yeah, you don't want an MLB who runs well or wraps up with his arms. Oh, wait, you probably do. Or closes from depth. Oh, wait, you actually do. Or sees it and goes and gets it. Yeah, it's totally clear, these are all major negatives for an MLB ... in Bizarro Land.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To clarify my POV as a mod anyway - copying someone's work without providing credit and a link is "no bueno", inappropriate

If I can paste a quote into google and find a link in 30 seconds flat, so can the OP.

After that, what to focus on is up to the person posting here, we all have our points of view.  It's OK to focus on the negative if that's what floats someone's boat.  It garners more respect when one acknowledges that's what one is doing "focusing on the negatives in this scouting report...."

Speaking personally, there are some cray-cray takes in this thread (not aimed at you).

"Edmunds has never made one single game changing impact play" :rolleyes:

C'Mon Man.

It's probably fair to look at the negatives and ask "to what extent has he progressed here?" and have a personal opinion that progress seems insufficient

The real issue i think with regards to anyone's takes is as just another member  point of view - I see the toxic crowd of people that go to attack someone for their thoughts very often.

People can disagree and not conduct themselves that way. If they want to deliver a message that the post doesn't resonate with them not posting at all versus toxic aggressive responding is far more effective.

Edited by Sharky7337

17 minutes ago, Luka said:

In all your years, you've never noticed a running back cut back?

The notion that the RB is cutting off of the LB’s gap shoot is the questionable part.

That’s not what the RB does. He cuts off the blocker, and the blocker is schemed to create a specific lane.

“Just go where Edmunds isn’t” is not in any offensive coordinator’s playbook; I promise.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, basically, you're full of it.

It's not even remotely fair what you did there, cherry-picking the worst small bits from an overall excellent report ...

... and then not posting the link because you didn't want people to be able to check your extremely shoddy, biased, petty work.

Again, for those who want to see the whole report, it's very positive, but definitely does have some warnings. I didn't repost the negatives since the OP had already done it. Best is to look at the whole thing. Here it is:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190028-tremaine-edmunds-virginia-tech/page64/

OP is saying that he sees no change now from the weaknesses described in his scouting report.

If all the positive stuff written in that report was being seen now, 3 years later, no one would be compelled to post about how off he is this year.

Why jump on the OP?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

i would LOVE to see 2-3 disruptive plays per week from Edmunds.  I cannot think of 2 -3 disruptive plays THIS SEASON.  

That’s a fair ask. He should be able to make 2-3 disruptive plays on pure athleticism alone. No smarts, instincts or anything just his measurables. That’s where I put a lot of blame on coaches not putting him in position to be successful. I get the scheme, and even if they stuck the their scheme 90% of the plays, move him around the other 10% and see what happens. 

I think he would be best suited outside and have always thought that. He's not a general out there and I don't think he understands the game enough yet to be directing the defense. He needs more limited responsibilities at this point. I also think he should be used more in the pass rush.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, you don't want an MLB who runs well or wraps up with his arms. Oh, wait, you probably do. Or closes from depth. Oh, wait, you actually do. Or sees it and goes and gets it. Yeah, it's totally clear, these are all major negatives for an MLB ... in Bizarro Land.

Than what’s the problem?  His injury and lack of a 1 tech?  It could be he NEEDS a great 1 tech to flourish. If that’s the case, I’m all for keeping him and making sure we have a good 1tech.  All I know is, he’s not the same player he was last season. He has regressed.  The reason for the regress is what matters.  Is it fixable and how fast can we fix it.

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Than what’s the problem?  His injury and lack of a 1 tech?  It could be he NEEDS a great 1 tech to flourish. If that’s the case, I’m all for keeping him and making sure we have a good 1tech.  All I know is, he’s not the same player he was last season. He has regressed.  The reason for the regress is what matters.  Is it fixable and how fast can we fix it.

Star isn't coming through that door, so I believe it's a season long issue. I mean we tried playing Oliver at the 1 technique vs KC. To me, that's a desperate move that was definitely not the plan coming into the season. Credit to the staff for trying different things but this is a season long issue.

5 hours ago, Philly McButterpants said:

i would LOVE to see 2-3 disruptive plays per week from Edmunds.  I cannot think of 2 -3 disruptive plays THIS SEASON.  

Exactly where I'm at. Heck 1 play a week should be practically mandatory at this point. I've been a huge fan of the pick but he's getting hard to defend at this point. Hopefully a soft opponent like the Jets might allow for some big plays that gets him into some kind of rhythm.

13 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

I don't get the animosity towards you for posting this thank you. I think it sounds just about right to what we see.

Thank You.  I think people want him to be a stud LB and that's not the case.  I wish it was!

12 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Hysterical part is the rest of the report still tells everything we have seen, he’s a reactor, not anticipatory, wraps with his long arms and slows the guy down, IE backler , not tackler.  Notable the author says he can scream off the corner if he’s not touched and he would need pass rush moves to play OLB more, good for coverage not a run stopper.  So as much as the OP is taking crap for cherry picking, the rest only proves everyone else is  trying to cherry pick the good parts and don’t understand what’s there anyway.

Thank You!

10 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Should go outside.. Think you bring in a true MLB, re-sign Milano to a 1 year prove it deal and onward we go.. I don’t think Edmunds has the brains nor toughness or nastiness to play inside and I don’t trust him to get our defense lined up in the right spots.. Not physical enough to be an enforcer in this defense.. Could have value as an outside LB.. has done a pretty good job using his speed to blitz off the edge.. Could be an asset as a coverage guy especially against some of the better TEs around the league.. He has value, he’s just playing out of position and behind a porous DL.. Not saying he’ll be great as an outside guy either, his responsibilities need to be dumbed down and the game simplified for him..

He did have the lowest Wonderlic score of LB's in his draft class. 

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, no. I'm the one who called him out, and I took great pains to - twice - tell everyone they should read the whole thing. Gave the link, twice. (Mods later found another link which is somewhat different, but has overall the same slant.)

Whereas he didn't give the link at all, or indicate that he was only giving a small, biased part of the story. That's why the mods went to his OP and put in the link themselves.

And you're cherrypicking just as much as him. Again picking one or two of the few negative things and pretending that it's "the rest of the report, " which is just flat-out wrong. The rest of the report does indeed say the things you say, but also things like this:  

"Explosive when working downhill, especially in the run game. Sets a good, hard edge against the run, especially in goal line and short yardage.Tackling is strong, especially for such a young player and particulary in space. Closes nicely from depth and hits his targets. Scrapes down the line, keeps his balance and can shed blocks on the move. Wraps up and closes the deal with his condor wingspan and good burst. Rarely whiffs, and at the very worst he can slow down ballcarriers for others to finish off the play."

The thing to do is give both sides of the story. When you give only one, you're saying more about  yourself and  your prejudices than you are about the guy you're writing about.

I'm sorry to upset you.  The point of the post is about what we are seeing on the field now - -2020 - -not what he COULD do in the NFL!

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, no. I'm the one who called him out, and I took great pains to - twice - tell everyone they should read the whole thing. Gave the link, twice. (Mods later found another link which is somewhat different, but has overall the same slant.)

Whereas he didn't give the link at all, or indicate that he was only giving a small, biased part of the story. That's why the mods went to his OP and put in the link themselves.

And you're cherrypicking just as much as him. Again picking one or two of the few negative things and pretending that it's "the rest of the report, " which is just flat-out wrong. The rest of the report does indeed say the things you say, but also things like this:  

"Explosive when working downhill, especially in the run game. Sets a good, hard edge against the run, especially in goal line and short yardage.Tackling is strong, especially for such a young player and particulary in space. Closes nicely from depth and hits his targets. Scrapes down the line, keeps his balance and can shed blocks on the move. Wraps up and closes the deal with his condor wingspan and good burst. Rarely whiffs, and at the very worst he can slow down ballcarriers for others to finish off the play."

The thing to do is give both sides of the story. When you give only one, you're saying more about  yourself and  your prejudices than you are about the guy you're writing about.

I have NO PREJUDICES about Edmunds.  I wish he was great and played up to the positives in his scouting report.  The fact is - he hasn't and the negatives appear to be true.

19 hours ago, LB48 said:

It's been 3 years since this report.  I don't see any improvement in his play - - maybe dropping off.  What do you think?

[Edit: this report appears to be from https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/17/nfl-draft-profile-no-11-virginia-tech-lb-tremaine-edmunds/a42uauc/.  Please give your sources when quoting someone else's work.  Thanks. -Mod]

Gap integrity looks like that of a 19-year old. Will take the wrong gap and watch runners go where he should have been. Eyes get too big — gets greedy and will overplay the ball. Takes on blockers at poor angles and gets cleaned out of plays. Has to key better on OL movement and diagnose run plays just a hair faster. Doesn’t use his hands well enough at this point to stack and shed interior OL blocks. Can get blown up by crack-back blocks — must do better job of keeping head on a swivel.

Instincts are still developing in coverage — prone to getting fooled by play action and misdirection  and will have trouble locating the ball at times. Sometimes gets lost in space. Plays too shallow sometimes and doesn’t cut off enough of the field.

Still developing physically, too. Carries his weight well but needs to add take-on  strength. Isn’t a Brandon Spikes-type of linebacker and could add a little more nastiness as a hitter.

Definitely regressed, needs to be a blitzing LB where he doesn't have to think.

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

Star isn't coming through that door, so I believe it's a season long issue. I mean we tried playing Oliver at the 1 technique vs KC. To me, that's a desperate move that was definitely not the plan coming into the season. Credit to the staff for trying different things but this is a season long issue.

My bad, I didn’t know the Bills weren’t allowed to add players or make trades. 

14 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

The fact is Edmunds hasnt made a single game-changing impact play for this team and we are in our 3rd season with him...

To be honest what else do you need to know about our first round pick?

just admit you don’t watch bills games.  

save us some time.