Fe'Zahn Tremaine Edmunds scouting report tells us exactly what we see on the field.

LB48

45 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I don't get the animosity towards you for posting this thank you. I think it sounds just about right to what we see.

Methinks you glossed over the rest of the posts here.....I totally get the animosity AND I agree that Edmunds hasn't played well since his shoulder injury.  AND as a previous poster mentioned his DL is shaky at best....at best!  The OP's post was cherry picking at its absolute worst.  It fit his narrative and now he is being called out on it......rightly so.

• Like (+1) 1

A Linebacker is only as good as the front four and the back 4 allow him to be. I think if the front 4 do their job and Tre plays in the game, it will be fair game to evaluate Edmunds. 

That being said, his play does appear to have dropped off -  partly injury related but partly because of what the OP says - he does bite on the first fake more often than a MLB should. 

Strangely enough he does well when he is very close to the line of scrimmage (where play has to be instinctual) and far from the line of scrimmage (where he can wait and depend on his closing speed to stop big chunk players). It is in the middle area where he is getting burned. 

McD appears to recognize that - he was playing close to the line of scrimmage to stop Henry and a lil deeper to stop Mahomes. I think these two players are anomalies and we won’t face these types of beasts in most games ( I think he will cover Kittle well).

I would not be averse to having Dodson play MLB and Edmunds play OLB with or without Milano.

Hysterical part is the rest of the report still tells everything we have seen, he’s a reactor, not anticipatory, wraps with his long arms and slows the guy down, IE backler , not tackler.  Notable the author says he can scream off the corner if he’s not touched and he would need pass rush moves to play OLB more, good for coverage not a run stopper.  So as much as the OP is taking crap for cherry picking, the rest only proves everyone else is  trying to cherry pick the good parts and don’t understand what’s there anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That scouting report certainly rings true with what we are seeing. Last year he was much better. Maybe his injury has made him over compensate and revert back to bad technique?

I don't know that answer but do know what we are seeing is troublesome.

Edited by Beast

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

I don't get the animosity towards you for posting this thank you. I think it sounds just about right to what we see.

I don't know about animosity but:

1) it's not appropriate to repost someone else's work without giving credit.  Credit them and if it's online, provide a link to the source.  Frankly, failure to do so is a form of theft.

2) The work cited had two sides, a positive and a negative side.  The OP chose to only post the negative side, which is their perogative but definitely not a sign of a balanced perspective.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Hysterical part is the rest of the report still tells everything we have seen, he’s a reactor, not anticipatory, wraps with his long arms and slows the guy down, IE backler , not tackler.  Notable the author says he can scream off the corner if he’s not touched and he would need pass rush moves to play OLB more, good for coverage not a run stopper.  So as much as the OP is taking crap for cherry picking, the rest only proves everyone else is  trying to cherry pick the good parts and don’t understand what’s there anyway.

People should watch the tape...I believe that at least some of your opinions would be affected by it

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

The fact is Edmunds hasnt made a single game-changing impact play for this team and we are in our 3rd season with him...

To be honest what else do you need to know about our first round pick?

He hasn’t?

Hyperbole is some kinda thing around here

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't care if you cut and pasted this from 10 different scouting reports, everything you posted is exactly what we are seeing on the field this year. I think Edmunds is still very young a will develop into a solid/good player but I feel like this defense might be holing him back. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, basically, you're full of it.

It's not even remotely fair what you did there, cherry-picking the worst small bits from an overall excellent report ...

... and then not posting the link because you didn't want people to be able to check your extremely shoddy, biased, petty work.

Again, for those who want to see the whole report, it's very positive, but definitely does have some warnings. I didn't repost the negatives since the OP had already done it. Best is to look at the whole thing. Here it is:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190028-tremaine-edmunds-virginia-tech/page64/

Well done, @Thurman#1

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

He needs to move to the outside. He’d be much better in Milanos role covering or rushing the passer in a different scheme. He’s not a MLB.

I agree, to me with his size and pass rushing ability I've alway felt he's a SLB maybe not as good at getting to the QB as LorAx but similar to Jeff Posey. 

Should go outside.. Think you bring in a true MLB, re-sign Milano to a 1 year prove it deal and onward we go.. I don’t think Edmunds has the brains nor toughness or nastiness to play inside and I don’t trust him to get our defense lined up in the right spots.. Not physical enough to be an enforcer in this defense.. Could have value as an outside LB.. has done a pretty good job using his speed to blitz off the edge.. Could be an asset as a coverage guy especially against some of the better TEs around the league.. He has value, he’s just playing out of position and behind a porous DL.. Not saying he’ll be great as an outside guy either, his responsibilities need to be dumbed down and the game simplified for him..

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, basically, you're full of it.

It's not even remotely fair what you did there, cherry-picking the worst small bits from an overall excellent report ...

... and then not posting the link because you didn't want people to be able to check your extremely shoddy, biased, petty work.

Again, for those who want to see the whole report, it's very positive, but definitely does have some warnings. I didn't repost the negatives since the OP had already done it. Best is to look at the whole thing. Here it is:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190028-tremaine-edmunds-virginia-tech/page64/

Agree that you should post to the entire report.  But, I think the OP’s point is that the warnings in the report are what we are seeing now.  

Really, overall, the D has regressed, the OL has regressed, gee, seems to point to coaching to me.  

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Um, no. I'm the one who called him out, and I took great pains to - twice - tell everyone they should read the whole thing. Gave the link, twice. (Mods later found another link which is somewhat different, but has overall the same slant.)

Whereas he didn't give the link at all, or indicate that he was only giving a small, biased part of the story. That's why the mods went to his OP and put in the link themselves.

And you're cherrypicking just as much as him. Again picking one or two of the few negative things and pretending that it's "the rest of the report, " which is just flat-out wrong. The rest of the report does indeed say the things you say, but also things like this:  

"Explosive when working downhill, especially in the run game. Sets a good, hard edge against the run, especially in goal line and short yardage.Tackling is strong, especially for such a young player and particulary in space. Closes nicely from depth and hits his targets. Scrapes down the line, keeps his balance and can shed blocks on the move. Wraps up and closes the deal with his condor wingspan and good burst. Rarely whiffs, and at the very worst he can slow down ballcarriers for others to finish off the play."

The thing to do is give both sides of the story. When you give only one, you're saying more about  yourself and  your prejudices than you are about the guy you're writing about.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Posters have given their reasons for the animosity. They seem legit to me. Cherry picking to advance a narrative, while leaving out opinions that are contrary to his rubs folks the wrong way. Not sure how you get it, whether you agree or not.

L.A.M.P.   ???

6 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

thats because he pretty much IS a 19 year old.  He will improve as he plays more.  My guess is the shoulder is much worse than we know and he cannot punch.  but they need him in coverage and to call the defense, so.. there it is.. Tyrol Dodson is the alternative.  yikes. 

Isn't he 22? In his 3rd season?  The time is now. Linebackers usually don't take 3-4 years to learn how to play.

• Like (+1) 1